Duplicate Zone file

Joe

I am setting up new pri & sec DNS server and remove the zone file for
domain from ISP that we already changed in the registrar to use thi
newDNS server. it works ok so far (still in moniroting).
But i also create zone files for other domains that still hosting with
our ISP.

These domains still pointing to ISP DNS, but the zone files exist in
ISp and in us. Is this will create any problem?

later on when everything monitored ok and then we are going to move
all of the domains from ISp to our new DNS.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

In news:74639a37.0407270711.3b79da4c@posting.google.com,
Joe <joebio91@hotmail.com> asked for help and I offered my suggestions
below:
> I am setting up new pri & sec DNS server and remove the zone file for
> domain from ISP that we already changed in the registrar to use thi
> newDNS server. it works ok so far (still in moniroting).
> But i also create zone files for other domains that still hosting with
> our ISP.

So you're saying you will be taking over hosting for these domains in-house
with your DNS server?

> These domains still pointing to ISP DNS, but the zone files exist in
> ISp and in us. Is this will create any problem?

Not that I see. No one on the Internet will be touching your machine for the
zones still being hosted elsewhere until you change it over.

> later on when everything monitored ok and then we are going to move
> all of the domains from ISp to our new DNS.
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks.

None really. Once you make the change, then queries will be going to your
server for those domains. Make sure its up 24/7 and you have another DNS as
well, since the registrar requires two nameservers registered per domain.

One thing, is your server also hosting AD?
Is your server on a private IP range or is it on a public IP range?

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

Joe

"Ace Fekay [MVP]" <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<#L695pCdEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> In news:74639a37.0407270711.3b79da4c@posting.google.com,
> Joe <joebio91@hotmail.com> asked for help and I offered my suggestions
> below:
> > I am setting up new pri & sec DNS server and remove the zone file for
> > domain from ISP that we already changed in the registrar to use thi
> > newDNS server. it works ok so far (still in moniroting).
> > But i also create zone files for other domains that still hosting with
> > our ISP.
>
> So you're saying you will be taking over hosting for these domains in-house
> with your DNS server?

Yes.

> > These domains still pointing to ISP DNS, but the zone files exist in
> > ISp and in us. Is this will create any problem?
>
> Not that I see. No one on the Internet will be touching your machine for the
> zones still being hosted elsewhere until you change it over.

Oh I see

> > later on when everything monitored ok and then we are going to move
> > all of the domains from ISp to our new DNS.
> > Any suggestions?
> > Thanks.
>
> None really. Once you make the change, then queries will be going to your
> server for those domains. Make sure its up 24/7 and you have another DNS as
> well, since the registrar requires two nameservers registered per domain.
>
> One thing, is your server also hosting AD?
> Is your server on a private IP range or is it on a public IP range?

AD = active directory? nope
Yes, public but behind firewall.

"Joe" <joebio91@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:<#L695pCdEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> > In news:74639a37.0407270711.3b79da4c@posting.google.com,
> > Joe <joebio91@hotmail.com> asked for help and I offered my suggestions
> > below:
> > > I am setting up new pri & sec DNS server and remove the zone file for
> > > domain from ISP that we already changed in the registrar to use thi
> > > newDNS server. it works ok so far (still in moniroting).
> > > But i also create zone files for other domains that still hosting with
> > > our ISP.
> >
> > So you're saying you will be taking over hosting for these domains
in-house
> > with your DNS server?
>
> Yes.
>

> > > These domains still pointing to ISP DNS, but the zone files exist in
> > > ISp and in us. Is this will create any problem?
> >
> > Not that I see. No one on the Internet will be touching your machine for
the
> > zones still being hosted elsewhere until you change it over.
> >
> Oh I see
>

> > > later on when everything monitored ok and then we are going to move
> > > all of the domains from ISp to our new DNS.
> > > Any suggestions?
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > None really. Once you make the change, then queries will be going to
your
> > server for those domains. Make sure its up 24/7 and you have another DNS
as
> > well, since the registrar requires two nameservers registered per
domain.

> > One thing, is your server also hosting AD?
> > Is your server on a private IP range or is it on a public IP range?
> >

> AD = active directory? nope
> Yes, public but behind firewall.

Sounds like you're ready to go. Good luck. If you have any probs, just post
back. If you ever need AD, setup a separate DNS for it.

Ace

Joe

Thank you Ace.
I have set up Pri & Sec DNS in 2 servers.
And you said if want to use AD setup another DNS server???
As pri/sec/cache/???

Regards,
Joe

In news:74639a37.0407300828.2958341f@posting.google.com,
Joe <joebio91@hotmail.com> asked for help and I offered my suggestions
below:
> Thank you Ace.
> I have set up Pri & Sec DNS in 2 servers.
> And you said if want to use AD setup another DNS server???
> As pri/sec/cache/???
>
> Regards,
> Joe

The reason for a separate server for AD is to keep the records separated.
You don't want to expose your internal records publicly for one, and second,
if using private IPs for the internal net, you can't mix private and public
records. Don't choose the same name for AD that you're using externally, or
there will be a third, which is extra administrative overhead.