The replication scope could not be set

I am getting the following error when trying to set the replication scope of a reverse lookup zone "To all DNS servers in the Active Directory forest" :

"The replication scope could not be set. For more information, see 'DNS zone replicationin Active Directory' in Help and Support. The error was: The name limit for the local computer network card was exceeded."

Parent domain - domain.com - Windows 2003 mode
Child domain - child.domain.com - Windows 2000 native

I get the error regardless of which server I try to make the change on and in both domains.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

In news:9A495330-94D4-4B30-85E6-C8C72095F03A@microsoft.com,
tonyl02 <tonyl02@discussions.microsoft.com> asked for help and I offered my
suggestions below:
> I am getting the following error when trying to set the replication
> scope of a reverse lookup zone "To all DNS servers in the Active
> Directory forest" :
>
> "The replication scope could not be set. For more information, see
> 'DNS zone replicationin Active Directory' in Help and Support. The
> error was: The name limit for the local computer network card was
> exceeded."
>
> Parent domain - domain.com - Windows 2003 mode
> Child domain - child.domain.com - Windows 2000 native
>
> I get the error regardless of which server I try to make the change
> on and in both domains.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this?

From what I see if you are trying to set this to replicate throughout the
forest to all domains, and one of the domain's mode is not set to Windows
2003, along with the Forest Functional Level set to Windows 2003, how is
that domain going to accept the replication request?

Now if they both are at full functional W2k3 level, then it comes down to a
conflict in app partitions. So its indicating that the partition you are
trying to replicate to already exists with the zone in it.You are trying to
replicate the zone in its own partition, but one already exists. If this is
the case, as the other poster a week ago had this problem.
(search back for:)
From: "Tommy Doan" <tdoan@utdallas.edu>
Subject: error changing scope
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 15:55:05 -0500

After suggesting to delete the zone, allow it to completely delete out of
AD, then re-create it.

BUT, you need to be at full functional level.

Here's some info on it, but it is not helpful in this case since it points
to name functionality, and not app partitions, since this error is coming up
from either a conflict in partition names or not set to full functional
level of the Forest and all domains in the forest.

319504 - Error Message The Name Limit for the Local Computer Network Adapter
Card Was Exceeded:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319504

--
Regards,