Final Thoughts on New Comp Build?

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Hey everyone I'm just wondering if you have any suggestions or comments on the specs and decisions of the computer im about to buy, probably tonight*

Here are the specs and links to the products I will be getting for my new computer. **All from Newegg**

Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0 for AMD & Intel systems Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129155

ASUS P5B Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131030

Intel Pentium D 805 Smithfield 533MHz FSB 2 x 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual Core,EM64T Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116001&ATT=19-116-001&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r

BFG Tech BFGR73256GSOCE Geforce 7300GS Supporting 512MB(256MB on board) 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143050

CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145566

Note: Ill be using my current 100GB IDE ATA133 Maxtor hd for now, and a IDE BenQ 1655 DVD/RW

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Uh, the Pentium D series SUCKS and the graphics card is crap. If you want your PC to be a heater during winter, then keep the CPU, and if you don't play games, then keep the graphics card.

Advice: Go with Conroe or get AM2. If you need help with those setups, we can help.

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Dang Harsh lol..

Its alot better then my current Celeron 2.0Ghz, im mainly trying to spend as least as possible, and then upgrade in a year or so. I mainly do video editing and internet // email stuff.

Im not looking for high end stuff right now, just the ability to.

What would you change then, my budget is 600$. This setup right now as it is 550$.

So gimme some specs if you would. Thanks Storm~

everything is fine since you dont do gaming. i've heard that processor gets really hot though.

I personally bought a pentium D 915 i heard it goes as high as 37C at full load and he had it overclocked to like 3.2ghz! I got it for $137 US at www.newegg.com

Everything else is good though. The other poster is a jerk don't listen to him.

Dang Harsh lol..

Its alot better then my current Celeron 2.0Ghz, im mainly trying to spend as least as possible, and then upgrade in a year or so. I mainly do video editing and internet // email stuff.

Im not looking for high end stuff right now, just the ability to.

What would you change then, my budget is 600$. This setup right now as it is 550$.

So gimme some specs if you would. Thanks Storm~

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I find that pretty good considering this celeron 2.0ghz is at 39C right now with pretty much at idle. I dont consider that hot, I have heard some people get 150+ degrees F.

So anyone else have any comments or suggestions to change, or anything?

Thanks Storm~

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Oh, so now I'm a jerk huh? Gee, I don't remeber calling you anything. Oh, how I love forum hospitality.

To storm1234:

Look at the benchmarks and select various CPUs and programs. That should give you a good idea.

Toms Hardware's CPU Benchmarks

They won't be exact on the AM2 X2 3800+ part, but considering that the X2 consumes less power than the Pentium D, I would go with the AM2.

Here's what you can change, but keep the DDR800 for this setup:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

ASUS M2N-Sli Deluxe

EDIT: You can even downgrade on the MB, as it will be overkill for your setup. These are just ideas, so choose what suits you.

EDIT: link

EDIT: I'll admit, Intel improved a little with their manufacturing, so these CPUs don't get too warm (unless under load). But granted, I've seen temps that after overclocking, they've hit 61C with the stock fan. And oh, I should note that my Athlon 64 3000+ based on old 130nm technology idles at 24C.

Really Great Deal

Pros: Very overclockable, price cant be beat

Cons: none

Other Thoughts: Running 3.5 ghz at 33/51 degrees idle/load with a Cooler Master RR-LCH-P9E1 silent heatsink & Artic Silver 5.

Reviewed By: Curved, 7/27/2006 5:03:55 PM

Wherever xxsk8er101xx gets his info from, I'd like to see it. This is straight from Newegg, and he wasn't even using a stock cooler. Be prepared to buy new cooling should you choose to get a Pentium D.

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Well I just ordered it all so will see how it goes, if i dont like the performance , i might go with that mobo and processor, i do like there features.

Im just hoping i dont have to update bios.

i hope you kept what you originally intended? You can easly upgrade to the core 2 duo later which is a pretty incredible processor. that other kid is an amd fanboy. gotta watch out for fanboys.

just as long as you get what you want thats what is important. fanboys all they care about is you getting what they want you to get.

Well I just ordered it all so will see how it goes, if i dont like the performance , i might go with that mobo and processor, i do like there features.

Im just hoping i dont have to update bios.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
No, I'm a price/performance fanboy. Sorry that I'm not a fan for sucker products. Oh well. He says he'll be upgrading later, perhaps in a year. Who knows what will be out by then. But for now, that Pentium D setup falls behind the AM2 setup. Oh, but I'm sorry. I'm an AMD fanboy right? Well, I guess your an Intel fanboy. Perhaps you didn't look at the benchmarks? Or perhaps you're too blind to realize that the Pentium D setup fell behind the AMD setup?

fanboys all they care about is you getting what they want you to get.

Are you talking about yourself? Cause it certainly looks like it

I offered the AMD setup b/c they had the best price/performance and best performance-per-watt given those two setups. I guess you'll have to OC like a madman, get better cooling, and pay more for your power bill.

EDIT: Please Note: xxsk8er101xx uses short, 1 line attacks like "jerk" and "fanboy" and gives no reason/explanation. I at least provide some info as to why I provided my advice.

If you're such a performance fanboy answer me this

what AMD processor out performs the core 2 duo?

Wouldn't it be smart to get a motherboard that supports that processor so he can upgrade to it later?

You're telling him to get old technology with no upgrade path ... and you claim to be a performance/price fanboy ?

cyborg_ninja-117

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
If you're such a performance fanboy answer me this

what AMD processor out performs the core 2 duo?

Wouldn't it be smart to get a motherboard that supports that processor so he can upgrade to it later?

You're telling him to get old technology with no upgrade path ... and you claim to be a performance/price fanboy ?

Succeed my friend. he could get a pentium D now, then get conroe a few months later since the P5B is supports conroe

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Hmmm.... let me think. Did you even bother to read the rest of my post? I was going off what the original poster said, that he didn't plan to upgrade for another year.

Looking at the current setups, could you provide anything that can outperform the two? I think not, given his budget.

But all of a sudden, it's as if he's buying a Core 2 right now! The last time I checked, the E6300 was $229, about $80 more than the X2 3800+, and about $130 more than his first setup.

As for your third point, that's better. Yes, being future upgradeable with Core 2 is good, but it seems as if you completely alienated the competition. Besides, since when was AM2 "old technology"? AMD just released it, and perhaps they'll improve upon it later, perhaps not.

In the end, I was offering suggestions based on his current situation and needs.
im mainly trying to spend as least as possible, and then upgrade in a year or so
Unless he had said otherwise that he would upgrade within the next month or two, the AM2 setup would suit him well until next year.

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
@ PCKid777

I like the 2 Amd components you suggested to me and if this Intel setup doesn't work to my standards then I will probably go with those 2. Considering if i removed the mobo and processor and went with the 2 amd ones instead its only 33$ more.

But my question to you is will this Pentium D 805 be better then a Celeron 2.0Ghz by quite a bit... Thats all im after, then I can put in a C2D when I want and another Gig of Ram. I just want alot of room to upgrade.

I didn't go with Intel just because of the C2D, I actually debated over AMD & intel quite a few times. I'm mainly hoping just to have something better then a Celeron 2.0ghz.

And if I was to go AMD are those 2 components the best bang for the buck. And if you were to suggest a different video card considering you said the one I had picked out sucked, I have a ( ATI Radeon 9550 AGP @ 4X right now ), which one would you suggest under 80$ - 100$ max.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions, I'm still open to them considering I dont have my parts until end of the week probably, if it all doesn't feel quite abit better I could possibly go the AMD route.

Thanks Storm~

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Video card wise, generally the higher the pixel pipelines, the higher the performance. At that price range, I'm not entirely sure. Here is a list with some decent cards:

Newegg List of Graphics Cards

I will, however, try to look for more benchmarks to see what card is best in that price range.

As far as upgradeability goes, yes, the Pentium D will blow away your old Celeron.

(Also, consider browsing Zipzoomfly for some of these items too. I use Newegg as a base to find what I want, look at reviews, and then I look for the best prices.)

EDIT: I would say the X800GTO is a decent card. According to one review on Newegg, he said that it beats an X1600 by a little bit. Also, a sticky from The Short List: the Best Graphics Cards for the money reccomends it. But again, it's a toss up.

EDIT: grammer