Using Jumbo packets in gigabit ethernet

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

I have MV64360 Marvell board and I try to send Jumbo frames.
I configured the Port Serial Control Register to support Jumbo frames.
When I send block in length up to 1500 bytes it works, more then 1500
it does not work and I don't receive any error from the SW. Why?
4 answers Last reply
More about using jumbo packets gigabit ethernet
  1. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    Hany <hanymil@rafael.co.il> wrote:
    > I have MV64360 Marvell board and I try to send Jumbo frames.
    > I configured the Port Serial Control Register to support Jumbo frames.
    > When I send block in length up to 1500 bytes it works, more then 1500
    > it does not work and I don't receive any error from the SW. Why?

    The rest of your networking gear must also support and be configured for
    jumbo frames. If not they simply throw your frames away as "errors"

    --
    Peter Håkanson
    IPSec Sverige ( At Gothenburg Riverside )
    Sorry about my e-mail address, but i'm trying to keep spam out,
    remove "icke-reklam" if you feel for mailing me. Thanx.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote:

    > Hany <hanymil@rafael.co.il> wrote:

    >>I have MV64360 Marvell board and I try to send Jumbo frames.
    >>I configured the Port Serial Control Register to support Jumbo frames.
    >>When I send block in length up to 1500 bytes it works, more then 1500
    >>it does not work and I don't receive any error from the SW. Why?

    > The rest of your networking gear must also support and be configured for
    > jumbo frames. If not they simply throw your frames away as "errors"

    It is at least known that most network equipment will support
    slightly over 1500, as it is needed to support vlan tagged frames.

    If things really stop exactly at 1500, it is not likely in layer 2
    equipment.

    Try a cable directly between two such devices configured for
    jumbo frames and see if it works that way.

    -- glen
  3. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:

    > It is at least known that most network equipment will support
    > slightly over 1500, as it is needed to support vlan tagged frames.
    >
    > If things really stop exactly at 1500, it is not likely in layer 2
    > equipment.
    >

    According to what I've read in O'Reilly's Ethernet book, the maximum value
    is 1535 bytes, so any equipment complying with the 802.3 spec, should be
    able to handle that.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    In article <S--dnbI2rcWN_RPcRVn-jw@rogers.com>,
    James Knott <james.knott@rogers.com> wrote:
    :glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:

    :> It is at least known that most network equipment will support
    :> slightly over 1500, as it is needed to support vlan tagged frames.

    :> If things really stop exactly at 1500, it is not likely in layer 2
    :> equipment.


    :According to what I've read in O'Reilly's Ethernet book, the maximum value
    :is 1535 bytes, so any equipment complying with the 802.3 spec, should be
    :able to handle that.

    When '1500' is being used, the figure does not usually include
    the preamble or CRC, and certainly not the intra-frame gap (IFG).
    '1500' also may not include the source and destination MAC addresses.

    '1535', though, includes everything except perhaps the IFG, and
    might include VLAN tags: without the tags, the total length including
    preamble, CRC, and IFG is 1540 octet-times if I recall properly.

    --
    Tenser, said the Tensor.
    Tenser, said the Tensor.
    Tension, apprehension,
    And dissension have begun. -- Alfred Bester (tDM)
Ask a new question

Read More

Support Ethernet Card Networking