The comparison I really want to see...

generalgrant

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Is that of an over clocked d805 vs an overclocked e6400 and an overclocked am2 4600. I hate comparisons of overclocked cpu's against completly stock fields. I mean I think that if one was interested in overclocking wouldnt they be interested in the overclocking capabilities of the competition. Im sure if i searched through all of the different reviews i could get an idea, however the rest of the systems specs are different everytime as well, which really messes up the level playing field idea. Im doing research now to try and build my moderatly priced game rig (around 1500) and the more I read the more confused I become. What do you guys think?

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Is that of an over clocked d805 vs an overclocked e6400 and an overclocked am2 4600. I hate comparisons of overclocked cpu's against completly stock fields. I mean I think that if one was interested in overclocking wouldnt they be interested in the overclocking capabilities of the competition. Im sure if i searched through all of the different reviews i could get an idea, however the rest of the systems specs are different everytime as well, which really messes up the level playing field idea. Im doing research now to try and build my moderatly priced game rig (around 1500) and the more I read the more confused I become. What do you guys think?

The thing with overclocking is that it's really a hit and miss issue.
You can go out of your way to find a CPU that's manufactured in the massive overclockable production week that everyone reports but it's still not a guarantee!!!
Since you have a OK budget for a system........a Conroe E6300 + 7900GT + 2 x 1GB should fit just fine and it aint no slouch when it comes to general processing power either!!........

I am assuming you have everything else and you only need upgrade parts??

superwoofer

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
dude same here, the more i read the more confused i am on wut to get. Price doens't matter for me I just wanna max out game settings for at least 2 years but i dont wanna waste my cash on a 6800 either. From what I read on this site I should either get an e6600 or wait untill dx10/vista. any suggestions on wut I do?

killer_roach

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
If you're wanting something that'll be solid for two years or more, and are willing to wait, I'd say to wait until after Vista/DX10 come out and we see some better details about what is out there and what it does in the next generation... not to mention that, with the next generation of video cards and quad-core CPUs on the horizon, you will get a lot more system for the money in not much time.

superwoofer

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
damn, well i think ill wait till vista but it sucks cause i had my heart set on a new comp soon and was really exited :(. my mom got ripped by buying a cheap setup for over 2k and Its really sad what they sold her, some old pentium chip with asrock mobo. i cant even play the gayest games on med settings anymore and its only been a year.

ArbY

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004
People are saying Vista was pushed back to spring of '07.
I'm no fan of the "waiting game" so I'm going to buy now (within the month) and be thoroughly pleased with the purchase.
If you need to buy now, then go for it. It's not like if you purchase a Core 2 Duo now, it'll somehow be slower when Vista arrives. Quad-core solutions for CPUs won't be realized in the gamer-market for quite a time. If you're a power user who does video encoding, image editing, movie production and other demanding tasks (all at once!) ... the benefits of multiple cores will be more readily seen.

The technology array right now isn't revolutionary. Sure, you can spend an extra 400-600 bucks and shave 1 minute off when saving a movie file. Or you can say your computer saved you some odd 30 seconds of your life during a DVD compression task. But honestly, if you're more of a game enthusiast, the present-gen tech provides for more than enough power when it comes to handling today's (and tomorrow's) game applications.

If you're like me, and you stick to one or two games for a long time, then there's really no sense in waiting if you wish to buy now. True, you will save money by waiting, but that is an unending trend. Time depreciates value as innovations occur.
My rig is a generation old (see sig). I got it when DDR2 was first emerging in laptops, and 667 was ne'er to be seen. It was before the Core Solo's ... it's a Pentium-M "Centrino."
I'm mostly into the HL2 games and this computer is struggling to keep up at times. I'm upgrading to an E6600 with either an X1900XTX or an X1950XTX. Coupled with 2GB of low-latency PC6400 RAM and a high-end motherboard, my forthcoming machine will last me well into the future. The price should fall around $2,000 ... and that's quite attractive considering its potential longevity.

Go for the upgrade if you're really set on it. You won't be disappointed. But if you can wait 6-8+ months, then that isn't a bad idea either.

everything now will be "vista ready"

damn, well i think ill wait till vista but it sucks cause i had my heart set on a new comp soon and was really exited :(. my mom got ripped by buying a cheap setup for over 2k and Its really sad what they sold her, some old pentium chip with asrock mobo. i cant even play the gayest games on med settings anymore and its only been a year.

thats my feeling as well. Wait only if you want to. Don't wait just because the next best thing will come around in 8 months. If you do that then in 8 months you'll wait another 8 months for the next best thing. Get what you want. You'll be happy now if you upgrade now or in 8 months. just never play the waiting game because you'll never buy anything.

generalgrant

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Comparing an overclocked 805D to a E6300 is like comparing a turbo-charged lawn mower to a Ferrari.

Hardly it be more like comparing a turbocharged mustang to a z06.

Im not waiting 8months to start building. Ill be building in september with my refund check. The confusion i was having is that when i used to be into this sort of thing (early undergrad years), the be all end all of processers was their clock speed (thats not entirely true but it was certainly more so than now). I guess my head is stuck in that mode because I was reading 4 gig clock speeds dual core on the 805 and ppl only clocking mid 3s on the core 2 duo. Benchmarks seem to be the only real form of accurate measurement nowdays. I dunno I think im gonna go with a core 2 duo at this point just because its more power efficient. still up in the air i have a couple weeks to decide.

okstatefan

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
I have the e6400, and I can highly recommend it. I was easily able to clock it to 333fsb on a gigabyte ds3. That gives me 2.66ghz. Now I compare that to my p4 2.6, and there just isn't any comparrison. They are not even in the same league. I also just built a 3800x2, and I prefer the e6400. I overclock everything, and have since my first build (abit ax5 and amd k6-200 @275). The core2 overclocks well, which adds to the bang for the buck.

I also had a hard time getting over the clock speed = performance issue. I guess the best analogy I can come up with is how LED flashlights are superior to Krypton bulbs. They are just as bright, when the Kryptons are consuming multiple times more energy.

As far as Vista is concerned..... another post said it best. "I'll wait for the crackers to tear it apart, and ms rebuild it" (I hope I got that quote pretty close to correct). Besides, my family has 6 PCs running at the moment, including my laptop. It is just too expensive to be buying OS for each computer.....

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
Your right about the power but an 805 oc'd to 4.0 GHz is a pretty powerful processor. I bet it could beat a stock e6300 in most situations.

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
I run mine 24/7 and I didn't see any change in my electric bill. This chip is real hot, I think it's downfall is a year from know they will be failing due to heat issues. Mine is constantly runnun in the mid 60's and the VRM on the board is almost maxed out. At least I don't have much tied up in the CPU and Mobo to care too much.

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
I just got my e6600 delivered today and my mobo arrives Friday. I hope to have my 805 cpu, board, and water cooler on ebay by Sunday.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
thats my feeling as well. Wait only if you want to. Don't wait just because the next best thing will come around in 8 months. If you do that then in 8 months you'll wait another 8 months for the next best thing. Get what you want. You'll be happy now if you upgrade now or in 8 months. just never play the waiting game because you'll never buy anything.

Well, I think it's smart to wait until the technology isn't brand new, but getting a P4 right now wouldn't work for me. Since the C2D is driving CPU price/performance down, it's smarter to wait for a little while until things settle down at a lower price point (IMO).

superwoofer

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
People are saying Vista was pushed back to spring of '07.
I'm no fan of the "waiting game" so I'm going to buy now (within the month) and be thoroughly pleased with the purchase.
If you need to buy now, then go for it. It's not like if you purchase a Core 2 Duo now, it'll somehow be slower when Vista arrives. Quad-core solutions for CPUs won't be realized in the gamer-market for quite a time. If you're a power user who does video encoding, image editing, movie production and other demanding tasks (all at once!) ... the benefits of multiple cores will be more readily seen.

The technology array right now isn't revolutionary. Sure, you can spend an extra 400-600 bucks and shave 1 minute off when saving a movie file. Or you can say your computer saved you some odd 30 seconds of your life during a DVD compression task. But honestly, if you're more of a game enthusiast, the present-gen tech provides for more than enough power when it comes to handling today's (and tomorrow's) game applications.

If you're like me, and you stick to one or two games for a long time, then there's really no sense in waiting if you wish to buy now. True, you will save money by waiting, but that is an unending trend. Time depreciates value as innovations occur.
My rig is a generation old (see sig). I got it when DDR2 was first emerging in laptops, and 667 was ne'er to be seen. It was before the Core Solo's ... it's a Pentium-M "Centrino."
I'm mostly into the HL2 games and this computer is struggling to keep up at times. I'm upgrading to an E6600 with either an X1900XTX or an X1950XTX. Coupled with 2GB of low-latency PC6400 RAM and a high-end motherboard, my forthcoming machine will last me well into the future. The price should fall around $2,000 ... and that's quite attractive considering its potential longevity.

Go for the upgrade if you're really set on it. You won't be disappointed. But if you can wait 6-8+ months, then that isn't a bad idea either.
Well I couldn't care less about vista, its the dx10 thing, is that worth waiting for? anyways if i do get an e6600 what mobo should I buy? I think I narowed it down to a gigabite or intel, asus wasn't to good in the noise/cooling area.