Disjointed Name Space

tiffany

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

My one and only DC had a NIC failure a couple of weeks ago and I've
been getting DNS errors ever since. Specifically, event 414 - "The
DNS server machine currently has no DNS domain name. Its DNS name is
a single label hostname with no domain (example: "host" rather than
"host.microsoft.com")."

I've entered the correct domain name under the registry key
....\Tcpip\parameters\nvdomain and and domain and rebooted. Still no
dice. If I look at the system properties, tcp/ip properties and
ipconfig /all, everything appears fine. It's only when I run netdiag
that you can see the problem. The computer name and DNS name are the
same, no "mydomain.com" in the DNS name. The host name has
".mydomain.com" - nothing for the place of the actual host - just the
domain.

Is there a fix for this? I really don't want to reinstall the domain.

Thank you,
Tiffany
Please send responses to the newsgroup and
tallshouse@NOSPAMcprosinc.com.

In news:ed63f647.0407280801.aafbbab@posting.google.com,
Tiffany <timandtiff@yahoo.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> My one and only DC had a NIC failure a couple of weeks
> ago and I've been getting DNS errors ever since.
> Specifically, event 414 - "The DNS server machine
> currently has no DNS domain name. Its DNS name is a
> single label hostname with no domain (example: "host"
> rather than "host.microsoft.com")."
>
> I've entered the correct domain name under the registry
> key ...\Tcpip\parameters\nvdomain and and domain and
> rebooted. Still no dice. If I look at the system
> properties, tcp/ip properties and ipconfig /all,
> everything appears fine. It's only when I run netdiag
> that you can see the problem. The computer name and DNS
> name are the same, no "mydomain.com" in the DNS name.
> The host name has ".mydomain.com" - nothing for the place
> of the actual host - just the domain.
>
> Is there a fix for this? I really don't want to
> reinstall the domain.

I usually recommend using the script in this KB to fix a disjointed
namespace.
257623 Domain Controller's Domain Name System Suffix Does Not Match Domain
Name
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=257623

If you can post these three items I'll take a look to see if there are any
other problems.

1. ipconfig /all
2. AD domain name from AD Users & Computers
3. List of Forward lookup zones in DNS and the status of the "Allow dynamic
updates" setting on the zones

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]