File association

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program a given
file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new file in my temp
folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete because it is being used
by a program..."etc...
but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it, AdAware,
SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click on a file and
find out what it is for or what program it belongs to. Any ideas? (besides
right click-properties)

"Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com>
wrote in news:10n3vo39jh9hof6@corp.supernews.com:
> I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program
> a given file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new
> file in my temp folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete
> because it is being used by a program..."etc...
> but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
> AdAware, SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click
> on a file and find out what it is for or what program it belongs to.
> Any ideas? (besides right click-properties)

File association has nothing to do with a process opening and keeping a
file handle. Have you tried exiting and relogging in? Have you tried
rebooting into Safe Mode? You could try using the Recovery Console to
delete the file. For now, try the following:

- Open Task Manager and leave it open.
- Use Start -> Run to run "cmd.exe". This opens a DOS shell.
- Kill all instances of explorer.exe list in the Processes panel of Task
Manager.
- The Windows GUI disappears (because explorer.exe is used for it).
- In the DOS shell, navigate to the folder and delete the file.
- Use Task Manager's File menu to run "explorer.exe".
- The Windows GUI will reappear.

You can use the OH.exe utility (Open Handle) included in the Microsoft
Resource Kit (ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/ResKit/win2000/). Or use
SysInternal's 'handle' utility. You can use those to see what process
has an open handle on the file.

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I deleted it in safe mode but it came back as soon as I came back on in
normal mode. My main question is, is there a way to find out what it is
associated with? (or any unknown file for a program)

"Vanguardx" <see_signature> wrote in message
> "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com>
> wrote in news:10n3vo39jh9hof6@corp.supernews.com:
> > I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program
> > a given file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new
> > file in my temp folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete
> > because it is being used by a program..."etc...
> > but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
> > AdAware, SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click
> > on a file and find out what it is for or what program it belongs to.
> > Any ideas? (besides right click-properties)
>
> File association has nothing to do with a process opening and keeping a
> file handle. Have you tried exiting and relogging in? Have you tried
> rebooting into Safe Mode? You could try using the Recovery Console to
> delete the file. For now, try the following:
>
> - Open Task Manager and leave it open.
> - Use Start -> Run to run "cmd.exe". This opens a DOS shell.
> - Kill all instances of explorer.exe list in the Processes panel of Task
> Manager.
> - The Windows GUI disappears (because explorer.exe is used for it).
> - In the DOS shell, navigate to the folder and delete the file.
> - Use Task Manager's File menu to run "explorer.exe".
> - The Windows GUI will reappear.
>
> You can use the OH.exe utility (Open Handle) included in the Microsoft
> Resource Kit (ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/ResKit/win2000/). Or use
> SysInternal's 'handle' utility. You can use those to see what process
> has an open handle on the file.

> ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
> Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

Hi

Try deleting the file from a command prompt. If that doesn't work, try
renaming the file, then deleting it.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program a
>given
> file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new file in my
> temp
> folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete because it is being
> used
> by a program..."etc...
> but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
> AdAware,
> SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click on a file and
> find out what it is for or what program it belongs to. Any ideas? (besides
> right click-properties)

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have tried renaming it but of course I get the same "...being used by
another program..." plus, I deleted it in safe mode but it comes back in
normal mode.
> Hi
>
> Try deleting the file from a command prompt. If that doesn't work, try
> renaming the file, then deleting it.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program a
> >given
> > file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new file in my
> > temp
> > folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete because it is being
> > used
> > by a program..."etc...
> > but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
> > AdAware,
> > SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click on a file
and
> > find out what it is for or what program it belongs to. Any ideas?
(besides
> > right click-properties)

Joe

What's the filename?

Joe

> I have tried renaming it but of course I get the same "...being used by
> another program..." plus, I deleted it in safe mode but it comes back in
> normal mode.
> > Hi
> >
> > Try deleting the file from a command prompt. If that doesn't work, try
> > renaming the file, then deleting it.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Will Denny
> > MVP - Windows Shell/User
> > Please reply to the News Groups
> >

> > "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program a
> > >given
> > > file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new file in my
> > > temp
> > > folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete because it is being
> > > used
> > > by a program..."etc...
> > > but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
> > > AdAware,
> > > SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click on a file
> and
> > > find out what it is for or what program it belongs to. Any ideas?
> (besides
> > > right click-properties)

Hi

Please try the following link to Kelly's web site:

Line 39 - right hand side

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have tried renaming it but of course I get the same "...being used by
> another program..." plus, I deleted it in safe mode but it comes back in
> normal mode.
>> Hi
>>
>> Try deleting the file from a command prompt. If that doesn't work, try
>> renaming the file, then deleting it.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program a
>> >given
>> > file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new file in my
>> > temp
>> > folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete because it is being
>> > used
>> > by a program..."etc...
>> > but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
>> > AdAware,
>> > SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click on a file
> and
>> > find out what it is for or what program it belongs to. Any ideas?
> (besides
>> > right click-properties)

Go to http://www.filext.com/index.php. Type in the file extension and hit
search!

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program a
>given
> file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new file in my
> temp
> folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete because it is being
> used
> by a program..."etc...
> but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
> AdAware,
> SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click on a file and
> find out what it is for or what program it belongs to. Any ideas? (besides
> right click-properties)

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The file extension is .dat, it is called Perflib_Perfdata_54c
> Go to http://www.filext.com/index.php. Type in the file extension and hit
> search!
>
> --
>
> Regards:
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>

> "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program a
> >given
> > file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new file in my
> > temp
> > folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete because it is being
> > used
> > by a program..."etc...
> > but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
> > AdAware,
> > SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click on a file
and
> > find out what it is for or what program it belongs to. Any ideas?
(besides
> > right click-properties)

Google for Perfdata returned some possible useful info
Performance Data
.... Plugin-specific performance data (if available) can be
obtained by using
the $PERFDATA$ macro. See below for more information on ...
nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/perfdata.html - 7k -
Cached - Similar pages

Displaying Object, Instance, and Counter Names [Base]
.... PPERF_OBJECT_TYPE FirstObject( PPERF_DATA_BLOCK
PerfData ) { return( (PPERF_OBJECT_TYPE ...
msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/perfmon/
base/displaying_object_instance_and_counter_names.asp -
22k - Cached - Similar pages

There may be more, these were the first two hits

| The file extension is .dat, it is called
Perflib_Perfdata_54c
| "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote
in message
| > Go to http://www.filext.com/index.php. Type in the file
extension and hit
| > search!
| >
| > --
| >
| > Regards:
| >
| > Richard Urban
| >
| > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
| >

| > "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > >I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out,
what program a
| > >given
| > > file is associated with? For instance, I have a
strange new file in my
| > > temp
| > > folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete
because it is being
| > > used
| > > by a program..."etc...
| > > but I don't know what program. (I have tested it,
virus scanned it,
| > > AdAware,
| > > SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to
click on a file
| and
| > > find out what it is for or what program it belongs to.
Any ideas?
| (besides
| > > right click-properties)

Joe

"Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The file extension is .dat, it is called Perflib_Perfdata_54c
> > Go to http://www.filext.com/index.php. Type in the file extension and
hit
> > search!
> >
> > --
> >
> > Regards:
> >
> > Richard Urban
> >
> > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
> >

> > "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program a
> > >given
> > > file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new file in my
> > > temp
> > > folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete because it is being
> > > used
> > > by a program..."etc...
> > > but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
> > > AdAware,
> > > SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click on a file
> and
> > > find out what it is for or what program it belongs to. Any ideas?
> (besides
> > > right click-properties)

As has been mentioned that's a performance log file and apparently if you
shutdown properly that file should be deleted when you shutdown. For info
just do a search for the filename without the "_54c" apparently that keeps
changing. Take a look at this post -->
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Q_20351139.html

Joe

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

How do I use the Systernals "Handle" program, the instructions that are on
the download page don't make sense to me, it says ...

Installation
You run Handle by typing "handle". You must have administrative privilge to
run Handle.
Handle works on Windows 9x/Me and Windows NT and higher.
Usage
Handle is targetted at searching for open file references, so if you do not
specify any command-line parameters it will list the values of all the
handles in the system that refer to open files and the names of the files.
It also takes several parameters that modify this behavior.

usage: handle [-a] [-p process] [name]

-a Dump information about all types of handles, not just those that
refer to files. Other types include ports, Registry keys, synchronization
primitives, threads, and processes.

-p process Instead of examining all the handles in the system, this
parameter narrows Handle For Windows NT's scan to those processes that begin
with the name process. Thus:

handle -p exp

would dump the open files for all processes that start with "exp",
which would include Explorer.

name This parameter is present so that you can direct Handle to
search for references to an object with a particular name. For example, if
you wanted to know which process (if any) has "c:\winnt\system32" open you
could type:

handle winnt\system

The name match is case-insensitive and the fragment specified can be
anywhere in the paths you are interested in

Where do I type Handle? I tried clicking the handle.exe and it runs a list
of something in CMD I tried opening Run>CMD, and typed handle but it does
nothing, I hit enter it says 'Handle is not a proper..."

I know nothing about using cmd prompt.

wrote in news:10n41d21ovu698c@corp.supernews.com:
> I deleted it in safe mode but it came back as soon as I came back on
> in normal mode. My main question is, is there a way to find out what
> it is associated with? (or any unknown file for a program)
>

> "Vanguardx" <see_signature> wrote in message
>> "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com>
>> wrote in news:10n3vo39jh9hof6@corp.supernews.com:
>>> I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program
>>> a given file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new
>>> file in my temp folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete
>>> because it is being used by a program..."etc...
>>> but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
>>> AdAware, SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click
>>> on a file and find out what it is for or what program it belongs to.
>>> Any ideas? (besides right click-properties)
>>
>> File association has nothing to do with a process opening and
>> keeping a file handle. Have you tried exiting and relogging in?
>> Have you tried rebooting into Safe Mode? You could try using the
>> Recovery Console to delete the file. For now, try the following:
>>
>> - Open Task Manager and leave it open.
>> - Use Start -> Run to run "cmd.exe". This opens a DOS shell.
>> - Kill all instances of explorer.exe list in the Processes panel of
>> Task Manager.
>> - The Windows GUI disappears (because explorer.exe is used for it).
>> - In the DOS shell, navigate to the folder and delete the file.
>> - Use Task Manager's File menu to run "explorer.exe".
>> - The Windows GUI will reappear.
>>
>> You can use the OH.exe utility (Open Handle) included in the
>> Microsoft Resource Kit (ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/ResKit/win2000/).
>> Or use SysInternal's 'handle' utility. You can use those to see
>> what process has an open handle on the file.
>>
>> --
>> ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
>> Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

Well, then something ELSE is establishing the presence of the suspect
file. I already mentioned in the last paragraph some utilities to see
who has a handle to the file. If you boot in Safe mode, you are able to
delete it, and then reboot into *SAFE* mode again, does the file show up
again? If it only shows up again when you boot into normal mode then
you are running something on startup that is recreating the file. As
mentioned, use msconfig to disable all start programs, boot into Safe
mode, delete the file, reboot into normal mode (but which now will not
load any of the startup programs). Did the file reappear? If not then
one of the programs listed in msconfig's Startup list is the culprit.

wrote in news:10n5f9nk5gdm84b@corp.supernews.com:
> The file extension is .dat, it is called Perflib_Perfdata_54c
>> Go to http://www.filext.com/index.php. Type in the file extension
>> and hit search!
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards:
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>>

>> "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what
>>> program a given
>>> file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new file in
>>> my temp
>>> folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete because it is
>>> being used
>>> by a program..."etc...
>>> but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
>>> AdAware,
>>> SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click on a
>>> file and find out what it is for or what program it belongs to. Any
>>> ideas? (besides right click-properties)

The use the OH or FileMon utilities already mentioned to see who has a
handle on those files. Could be you started Perfmon and have it
recording system performance. Could be you have a program loaded on
Windows startup that uses this performance data (I have Clipmate and it
opens a Perf*.dat file).

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The only new program I have installed lately is..Adobe Photoshope
Elements2.0, Executive Software "DisKeeper9.0" I'm thinking the Diskeeper is
it?

> The only new program I have installed lately is..Adobe Photoshope
> Elements2.0, Executive Software "DisKeeper9.0" I'm thinking the Diskeeper
is
> it?

Diskeeper makes a great deal of sense. Try it.

Joe

Joe

> How do I use the Systernals "Handle" program, the instructions that are on
> the download page don't make sense to me, it says ...
>
> Installation
> You run Handle by typing "handle". You must have administrative privilge
> run Handle.
> Handle works on Windows 9x/Me and Windows NT and higher.
> Usage
> Handle is targetted at searching for open file references, so if you do
not
> specify any command-line parameters it will list the values of all the
> handles in the system that refer to open files and the names of the files.
> It also takes several parameters that modify this behavior.
>

> usage: handle [-a] [-p process] [name]
>

> -a Dump information about all types of handles, not just those
that
> refer to files. Other types include ports, Registry keys, synchronization
> primitives, threads, and processes.
>

> -p process Instead of examining all the handles in the system,
this
> parameter narrows Handle For Windows NT's scan to those processes that
begin
> with the name process. Thus:
>
> handle -p exp
>
> would dump the open files for all processes that start with "exp",
> which would include Explorer.
>

> name This parameter is present so that you can direct Handle to
> search for references to an object with a particular name. For example, if
> you wanted to know which process (if any) has "c:\winnt\system32" open you
> could type:
>
> handle winnt\system
>
> The name match is case-insensitive and the fragment specified can
be
> anywhere in the paths you are interested in
>
> Where do I type Handle? I tried clicking the handle.exe and it runs a list
> of something in CMD I tried opening Run>CMD, and typed handle but it does
> nothing, I hit enter it says 'Handle is not a proper..."
>
> I know nothing about using cmd prompt.

Go one step further. Open run->type cmd-> type handle /?
You should now have a command window open with instructions on which
commands you should use to do what you want. Read them carefuly, take your
time and you should get through it. I don't think anyone is going to teach
you how to use command line utilities in this forum. Perhaps look on the
web for a tutorial.

Joe

Joe

"Joe" <user@host.com> wrote in message

> "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > How do I use the Systernals "Handle" program, the instructions that are
on
> > the download page don't make sense to me, it says ...
> >
> > Installation
> > You run Handle by typing "handle". You must have administrative privilge
> > run Handle.
> > Handle works on Windows 9x/Me and Windows NT and higher.
> > Usage
> > Handle is targetted at searching for open file references, so if you do
> not
> > specify any command-line parameters it will list the values of all the
> > handles in the system that refer to open files and the names of the
files.
> > It also takes several parameters that modify this behavior.
> >

> > usage: handle [-a] [-p process] [name]
> >

> > -a Dump information about all types of handles, not just those
> that
> > refer to files. Other types include ports, Registry keys,
synchronization
> > primitives, threads, and processes.
> >

> > -p process Instead of examining all the handles in the system,
> this
> > parameter narrows Handle For Windows NT's scan to those processes that
> begin
> > with the name process. Thus:
> >
> > handle -p exp
> >
> > would dump the open files for all processes that start with
"exp",
> > which would include Explorer.
> >

> > name This parameter is present so that you can direct Handle to
> > search for references to an object with a particular name. For example,
if
> > you wanted to know which process (if any) has "c:\winnt\system32" open
you
> > could type:
> >
> > handle winnt\system
> >
> > The name match is case-insensitive and the fragment specified
can
> be
> > anywhere in the paths you are interested in
> >
> > Where do I type Handle? I tried clicking the handle.exe and it runs a
list
> > of something in CMD I tried opening Run>CMD, and typed handle but it
does
> > nothing, I hit enter it says 'Handle is not a proper..."
> >
> > I know nothing about using cmd prompt.
> >

> Go one step further. Open run->type cmd-> type handle /?
> You should now have a command window open with instructions on which
> commands you should use to do what you want. Read them carefuly, take
your
> time and you should get through it. I don't think anyone is going to
teach
> you how to use command line utilities in this forum. Perhaps look on the
> web for a tutorial.
>
> Joe

Maybe I'm wrong, I thought it was a different forum. I'm going to see if I
can pull my foot out of my mouth.
Command line utilities are actually quite simple because they all have a
sequence in which they'll accept words on a command line. A general format
might be

command (options) (argument)

command is of course the command for the program, in your case handle
options are generally letters or words preceded by dashes (-) or slashes
(/). The command I showed you in my previous post shows you one way you can
use to get help for a given command. Often you can get the help by just
typing the commnand without anything else but usually in a command window
you type the command and the option /?
argument is the file, folder, program, etc that the work will be performed
on. In your case I believe it might be the file you're curious about.

To be able to run handle it should be in your path or you should explicitly
type the path to the executable. Take the handle program and put it in C:\
then go into the folder using the cd command. Then type handle and see what
happens.

commands you will likely need
cd :for this command two dots (..) takes you back a step, try cd /?
dir :this shows you what files and folders exist in your current
directory.

This is all I have time for right now but I hope that helps you.

Joe

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I went back to SysInternals website and downloaded the GUI version "Process
Explorer" what an awesome program! Thanks all

> "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com>
> wrote in news:10n41d21ovu698c@corp.supernews.com:
> > I deleted it in safe mode but it came back as soon as I came back on
> > in normal mode. My main question is, is there a way to find out what
> > it is associated with? (or any unknown file for a program)
> >

> > "Vanguardx" <see_signature> wrote in message
> >>
> >> File association has nothing to do with a process opening and
> >> keeping a file handle. Have you tried exiting and relogging in?
> >> Have you tried rebooting into Safe Mode? You could try using the
> >> Recovery Console to delete the file. For now, try the following:
> >>
> >> - Open Task Manager and leave it open.
> >> - Use Start -> Run to run "cmd.exe". This opens a DOS shell.
> >> - Kill all instances of explorer.exe list in the Processes panel of
> >> Task Manager.
> >> - The Windows GUI disappears (because explorer.exe is used for it).
> >> - In the DOS shell, navigate to the folder and delete the file.
> >> - Use Task Manager's File menu to run "explorer.exe".
> >> - The Windows GUI will reappear.
> >>
> >> You can use the OH.exe utility (Open Handle) included in the
> >> Microsoft Resource Kit (ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/ResKit/win2000/).
> >> Or use SysInternal's 'handle' utility. You can use those to see
> >> what process has an open handle on the file.
> >>
> >> --
> >> ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
> >> Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
>
> Well, then something ELSE is establishing the presence of the suspect
> file. I already mentioned in the last paragraph some utilities to see
> who has a handle to the file. If you boot in Safe mode, you are able to
> delete it, and then reboot into *SAFE* mode again, does the file show up
> again? If it only shows up again when you boot into normal mode then
> you are running something on startup that is recreating the file. As
> mentioned, use msconfig to disable all start programs, boot into Safe
> mode, delete the file, reboot into normal mode (but which now will not
> load any of the startup programs). Did the file reappear? If not then
> one of the programs listed in msconfig's Startup list is the culprit.

> ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
> Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

Well assoc won't help you. You are recording a performance log. See Administrative Tools - Performance. It may be a program rather than a user collecting the data in which case it won;t appear in Performance.

http://www.uscricket.com
"Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:10n5f9nk5gdm84b@corp.supernews.com...
> The file extension is .dat, it is called Perflib_Perfdata_54c
>> Go to http://www.filext.com/index.php. Type in the file extension and hit
>> search!
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards:
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>>

>> "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program a
>> >given
>> > file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new file in my
>> > temp
>> > folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete because it is being
>> > used
>> > by a program..."etc...
>> > but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
>> > AdAware,
>> > SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click on a file
> and
>> > find out what it is for or what program it belongs to. Any ideas?
> (besides
>> > right click-properties)

You put the file where cmd can't find it. Drag handle from explorer to a cmd window (this does the typing for you incl the location of handle.

http://www.uscricket.com