File association

I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program a given
file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new file in my temp
folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete because it is being used
by a program..."etc...
but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it, AdAware,
SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click on a file and
find out what it is for or what program it belongs to. Any ideas? (besides
right click-properties)
20 answers Last reply
More about file association

    "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com>
    wrote in news:10n3vo39jh9hof6@corp.supernews.com:
    > I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program
    > a given file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new
    > file in my temp folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete
    > because it is being used by a program..."etc...
    > but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
    > AdAware, SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click
    > on a file and find out what it is for or what program it belongs to.
    > Any ideas? (besides right click-properties)

    File association has nothing to do with a process opening and keeping a
    file handle. Have you tried exiting and relogging in? Have you tried
    rebooting into Safe Mode? You could try using the Recovery Console to
    delete the file. For now, try the following:

    - Open Task Manager and leave it open.
    - Use Start -> Run to run "cmd.exe". This opens a DOS shell.
    - Kill all instances of explorer.exe list in the Processes panel of Task
    Manager.
    - The Windows GUI disappears (because explorer.exe is used for it).
    - In the DOS shell, navigate to the folder and delete the file.
    - Use Task Manager's File menu to run "explorer.exe".
    - The Windows GUI will reappear.

    You can use the OH.exe utility (Open Handle) included in the Microsoft
    Resource Kit (ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/ResKit/win2000/). Or use
    SysInternal's 'handle' utility. You can use those to see what process
    has an open handle on the file.

    I deleted it in safe mode but it came back as soon as I came back on in
    normal mode. My main question is, is there a way to find out what it is
    associated with? (or any unknown file for a program)

    "Vanguardx" <see_signature> wrote in message
    > "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com>
    > wrote in news:10n3vo39jh9hof6@corp.supernews.com:
    > > I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program
    > > a given file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new
    > > file in my temp folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete
    > > because it is being used by a program..."etc...
    > > but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
    > > AdAware, SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click
    > > on a file and find out what it is for or what program it belongs to.
    > > Any ideas? (besides right click-properties)
    >
    > File association has nothing to do with a process opening and keeping a
    > file handle. Have you tried exiting and relogging in? Have you tried
    > rebooting into Safe Mode? You could try using the Recovery Console to
    > delete the file. For now, try the following:
    >
    > - Open Task Manager and leave it open.
    > - Use Start -> Run to run "cmd.exe". This opens a DOS shell.
    > - Kill all instances of explorer.exe list in the Processes panel of Task
    > Manager.
    > - The Windows GUI disappears (because explorer.exe is used for it).
    > - In the DOS shell, navigate to the folder and delete the file.
    > - Use Task Manager's File menu to run "explorer.exe".
    > - The Windows GUI will reappear.
    >
    > You can use the OH.exe utility (Open Handle) included in the Microsoft
    > Resource Kit (ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/ResKit/win2000/). Or use
    > SysInternal's 'handle' utility. You can use those to see what process
    > has an open handle on the file.

    > ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
    > Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

    Hi

    Try deleting the file from a command prompt. If that doesn't work, try
    renaming the file, then deleting it.

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program a
    >given
    > file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new file in my
    > temp
    > folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete because it is being
    > used
    > by a program..."etc...
    > but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
    > AdAware,
    > SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click on a file and
    > find out what it is for or what program it belongs to. Any ideas? (besides
    > right click-properties)

    I have tried renaming it but of course I get the same "...being used by
    another program..." plus, I deleted it in safe mode but it comes back in
    normal mode.
    > Hi
    >
    > Try deleting the file from a command prompt. If that doesn't work, try
    > renaming the file, then deleting it.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program a
    > >given
    > > file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new file in my
    > > temp
    > > folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete because it is being
    > > used
    > > by a program..."etc...
    > > but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
    > > AdAware,
    > > SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click on a file
    and
    > > find out what it is for or what program it belongs to. Any ideas?
    (besides
    > > right click-properties)

    What's the filename?

    Joe

    > I have tried renaming it but of course I get the same "...being used by
    > another program..." plus, I deleted it in safe mode but it comes back in
    > normal mode.
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > Try deleting the file from a command prompt. If that doesn't work, try
    > > renaming the file, then deleting it.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Will Denny
    > > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > > Please reply to the News Groups
    > >

    > > "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > >I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program a
    > > >given
    > > > file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new file in my
    > > > temp
    > > > folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete because it is being
    > > > used
    > > > by a program..."etc...
    > > > but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
    > > > AdAware,
    > > > SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click on a file
    > and
    > > > find out what it is for or what program it belongs to. Any ideas?
    > (besides
    > > > right click-properties)

    Hi

    Please try the following link to Kelly's web site:

    Line 39 - right hand side

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have tried renaming it but of course I get the same "...being used by
    > another program..." plus, I deleted it in safe mode but it comes back in
    > normal mode.
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Try deleting the file from a command prompt. If that doesn't work, try
    >> renaming the file, then deleting it.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program a
    >> >given
    >> > file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new file in my
    >> > temp
    >> > folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete because it is being
    >> > used
    >> > by a program..."etc...
    >> > but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
    >> > AdAware,
    >> > SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click on a file
    > and
    >> > find out what it is for or what program it belongs to. Any ideas?
    > (besides
    >> > right click-properties)

    Go to http://www.filext.com/index.php. Type in the file extension and hit
    search!

    --

    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program a
    >given
    > file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new file in my
    > temp
    > folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete because it is being
    > used
    > by a program..."etc...
    > but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
    > AdAware,
    > SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click on a file and
    > find out what it is for or what program it belongs to. Any ideas? (besides
    > right click-properties)

    The file extension is .dat, it is called Perflib_Perfdata_54c
    > Go to http://www.filext.com/index.php. Type in the file extension and hit
    > search!
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards:
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >

    > "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program a
    > >given
    > > file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new file in my
    > > temp
    > > folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete because it is being
    > > used
    > > by a program..."etc...
    > > but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
    > > AdAware,
    > > SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click on a file
    and
    > > find out what it is for or what program it belongs to. Any ideas?
    (besides
    > > right click-properties)

    Google for Perfdata returned some possible useful info
    Performance Data
    .... Plugin-specific performance data (if available) can be
    obtained by using
    the $PERFDATA$ macro. See below for more information on ...
    nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/perfdata.html - 7k -
    Cached - Similar pages

    Displaying Object, Instance, and Counter Names [Base]
    .... PPERF_OBJECT_TYPE FirstObject( PPERF_DATA_BLOCK
    PerfData ) { return( (PPERF_OBJECT_TYPE ...
    msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/perfmon/
    base/displaying_object_instance_and_counter_names.asp -
    22k - Cached - Similar pages

    There may be more, these were the first two hits

    | The file extension is .dat, it is called
    Perflib_Perfdata_54c
    | "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote
    in message
    | > Go to http://www.filext.com/index.php. Type in the file
    extension and hit
    | > search!
    | >
    | > --
    | >
    | > Regards:
    | >
    | > Richard Urban
    | >
    | > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    | >

    | > "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | > >I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out,
    what program a
    | > >given
    | > > file is associated with? For instance, I have a
    strange new file in my
    | > > temp
    | > > folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete
    because it is being
    | > > used
    | > > by a program..."etc...
    | > > but I don't know what program. (I have tested it,
    virus scanned it,
    | > > AdAware,
    | > > SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to
    click on a file
    | and
    | > > find out what it is for or what program it belongs to.
    Any ideas?
    | (besides
    | > > right click-properties)

    "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The file extension is .dat, it is called Perflib_Perfdata_54c
    > > Go to http://www.filext.com/index.php. Type in the file extension and
    hit
    > > search!
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Regards:
    > >
    > > Richard Urban
    > >
    > > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    > >

    > > "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > >I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program a
    > > >given
    > > > file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new file in my
    > > > temp
    > > > folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete because it is being
    > > > used
    > > > by a program..."etc...
    > > > but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
    > > > AdAware,
    > > > SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click on a file
    > and
    > > > find out what it is for or what program it belongs to. Any ideas?
    > (besides
    > > > right click-properties)

    As has been mentioned that's a performance log file and apparently if you
    shutdown properly that file should be deleted when you shutdown. For info
    just do a search for the filename without the "_54c" apparently that keeps
    changing. Take a look at this post -->
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Q_20351139.html

    Joe

    How do I use the Systernals "Handle" program, the instructions that are on
    the download page don't make sense to me, it says ...

    Installation
    You run Handle by typing "handle". You must have administrative privilge to
    run Handle.
    Handle works on Windows 9x/Me and Windows NT and higher.
    Usage
    Handle is targetted at searching for open file references, so if you do not
    specify any command-line parameters it will list the values of all the
    handles in the system that refer to open files and the names of the files.
    It also takes several parameters that modify this behavior.

    usage: handle [-a] [-p process] [name]

    -a Dump information about all types of handles, not just those that
    refer to files. Other types include ports, Registry keys, synchronization
    primitives, threads, and processes.

    -p process Instead of examining all the handles in the system, this
    parameter narrows Handle For Windows NT's scan to those processes that begin
    with the name process. Thus:

    handle -p exp

    would dump the open files for all processes that start with "exp",
    which would include Explorer.

    name This parameter is present so that you can direct Handle to
    search for references to an object with a particular name. For example, if
    you wanted to know which process (if any) has "c:\winnt\system32" open you
    could type:

    handle winnt\system

    The name match is case-insensitive and the fragment specified can be
    anywhere in the paths you are interested in

    Where do I type Handle? I tried clicking the handle.exe and it runs a list
    of something in CMD I tried opening Run>CMD, and typed handle but it does
    nothing, I hit enter it says 'Handle is not a proper..."

    I know nothing about using cmd prompt.

    wrote in news:10n41d21ovu698c@corp.supernews.com:
    > I deleted it in safe mode but it came back as soon as I came back on
    > in normal mode. My main question is, is there a way to find out what
    > it is associated with? (or any unknown file for a program)
    >

    > "Vanguardx" <see_signature> wrote in message
    >> "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com>
    >> wrote in news:10n3vo39jh9hof6@corp.supernews.com:
    >>> I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program
    >>> a given file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new
    >>> file in my temp folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete
    >>> because it is being used by a program..."etc...
    >>> but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
    >>> AdAware, SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click
    >>> on a file and find out what it is for or what program it belongs to.
    >>> Any ideas? (besides right click-properties)
    >>
    >> File association has nothing to do with a process opening and
    >> keeping a file handle. Have you tried exiting and relogging in?
    >> Have you tried rebooting into Safe Mode? You could try using the
    >> Recovery Console to delete the file. For now, try the following:
    >>
    >> - Open Task Manager and leave it open.
    >> - Use Start -> Run to run "cmd.exe". This opens a DOS shell.
    >> - Kill all instances of explorer.exe list in the Processes panel of
    >> Task Manager.
    >> - The Windows GUI disappears (because explorer.exe is used for it).
    >> - In the DOS shell, navigate to the folder and delete the file.
    >> - Use Task Manager's File menu to run "explorer.exe".
    >> - The Windows GUI will reappear.
    >>
    >> You can use the OH.exe utility (Open Handle) included in the
    >> Microsoft Resource Kit (ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/ResKit/win2000/).
    >> Or use SysInternal's 'handle' utility. You can use those to see
    >> what process has an open handle on the file.
    >>
    >> --
    >> ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
    >> Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

    Well, then something ELSE is establishing the presence of the suspect
    file. I already mentioned in the last paragraph some utilities to see
    who has a handle to the file. If you boot in Safe mode, you are able to
    delete it, and then reboot into *SAFE* mode again, does the file show up
    again? If it only shows up again when you boot into normal mode then
    you are running something on startup that is recreating the file. As
    mentioned, use msconfig to disable all start programs, boot into Safe
    mode, delete the file, reboot into normal mode (but which now will not
    load any of the startup programs). Did the file reappear? If not then
    one of the programs listed in msconfig's Startup list is the culprit.

    wrote in news:10n5f9nk5gdm84b@corp.supernews.com:
    > The file extension is .dat, it is called Perflib_Perfdata_54c
    >> Go to http://www.filext.com/index.php. Type in the file extension
    >> and hit search!
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Regards:
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >>
    >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >>

    >> "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what
    >>> program a given
    >>> file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new file in
    >>> my temp
    >>> folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete because it is
    >>> being used
    >>> by a program..."etc...
    >>> but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
    >>> AdAware,
    >>> SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click on a
    >>> file and find out what it is for or what program it belongs to. Any
    >>> ideas? (besides right click-properties)

    The use the OH or FileMon utilities already mentioned to see who has a
    handle on those files. Could be you started Perfmon and have it
    recording system performance. Could be you have a program loaded on
    Windows startup that uses this performance data (I have Clipmate and it
    opens a Perf*.dat file).

    The only new program I have installed lately is..Adobe Photoshope
    Elements2.0, Executive Software "DisKeeper9.0" I'm thinking the Diskeeper is
    it?

    > The only new program I have installed lately is..Adobe Photoshope
    > Elements2.0, Executive Software "DisKeeper9.0" I'm thinking the Diskeeper
    is
    > it?

    Diskeeper makes a great deal of sense. Try it.

    Joe

    > How do I use the Systernals "Handle" program, the instructions that are on
    > the download page don't make sense to me, it says ...
    >
    > Installation
    > You run Handle by typing "handle". You must have administrative privilge
    > run Handle.
    > Handle works on Windows 9x/Me and Windows NT and higher.
    > Usage
    > Handle is targetted at searching for open file references, so if you do
    not
    > specify any command-line parameters it will list the values of all the
    > handles in the system that refer to open files and the names of the files.
    > It also takes several parameters that modify this behavior.
    >

    > usage: handle [-a] [-p process] [name]
    >

    > -a Dump information about all types of handles, not just those
    that
    > refer to files. Other types include ports, Registry keys, synchronization
    > primitives, threads, and processes.
    >

    > -p process Instead of examining all the handles in the system,
    this
    > parameter narrows Handle For Windows NT's scan to those processes that
    begin
    > with the name process. Thus:
    >
    > handle -p exp
    >
    > would dump the open files for all processes that start with "exp",
    > which would include Explorer.
    >

    > name This parameter is present so that you can direct Handle to
    > search for references to an object with a particular name. For example, if
    > you wanted to know which process (if any) has "c:\winnt\system32" open you
    > could type:
    >
    > handle winnt\system
    >
    > The name match is case-insensitive and the fragment specified can
    be
    > anywhere in the paths you are interested in
    >
    > Where do I type Handle? I tried clicking the handle.exe and it runs a list
    > of something in CMD I tried opening Run>CMD, and typed handle but it does
    > nothing, I hit enter it says 'Handle is not a proper..."
    >
    > I know nothing about using cmd prompt.

    Go one step further. Open run->type cmd-> type handle /?
    You should now have a command window open with instructions on which
    commands you should use to do what you want. Read them carefuly, take your
    time and you should get through it. I don't think anyone is going to teach
    you how to use command line utilities in this forum. Perhaps look on the
    web for a tutorial.

    Joe

    "Joe" <user@host.com> wrote in message

    > "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > How do I use the Systernals "Handle" program, the instructions that are
    on
    > > the download page don't make sense to me, it says ...
    > >
    > > Installation
    > > You run Handle by typing "handle". You must have administrative privilge
    > > run Handle.
    > > Handle works on Windows 9x/Me and Windows NT and higher.
    > > Usage
    > > Handle is targetted at searching for open file references, so if you do
    > not
    > > specify any command-line parameters it will list the values of all the
    > > handles in the system that refer to open files and the names of the
    files.
    > > It also takes several parameters that modify this behavior.
    > >

    > > usage: handle [-a] [-p process] [name]
    > >

    > > -a Dump information about all types of handles, not just those
    > that
    > > refer to files. Other types include ports, Registry keys,
    synchronization
    > > primitives, threads, and processes.
    > >

    > > -p process Instead of examining all the handles in the system,
    > this
    > > parameter narrows Handle For Windows NT's scan to those processes that
    > begin
    > > with the name process. Thus:
    > >
    > > handle -p exp
    > >
    > > would dump the open files for all processes that start with
    "exp",
    > > which would include Explorer.
    > >

    > > name This parameter is present so that you can direct Handle to
    > > search for references to an object with a particular name. For example,
    if
    > > you wanted to know which process (if any) has "c:\winnt\system32" open
    you
    > > could type:
    > >
    > > handle winnt\system
    > >
    > > The name match is case-insensitive and the fragment specified
    can
    > be
    > > anywhere in the paths you are interested in
    > >
    > > Where do I type Handle? I tried clicking the handle.exe and it runs a
    list
    > > of something in CMD I tried opening Run>CMD, and typed handle but it
    does
    > > nothing, I hit enter it says 'Handle is not a proper..."
    > >
    > > I know nothing about using cmd prompt.
    > >

    > Go one step further. Open run->type cmd-> type handle /?
    > You should now have a command window open with instructions on which
    > commands you should use to do what you want. Read them carefuly, take
    your
    > time and you should get through it. I don't think anyone is going to
    teach
    > you how to use command line utilities in this forum. Perhaps look on the
    > web for a tutorial.
    >
    > Joe

    Maybe I'm wrong, I thought it was a different forum. I'm going to see if I
    can pull my foot out of my mouth.
    Command line utilities are actually quite simple because they all have a
    sequence in which they'll accept words on a command line. A general format
    might be

    command (options) (argument)

    command is of course the command for the program, in your case handle
    options are generally letters or words preceded by dashes (-) or slashes
    (/). The command I showed you in my previous post shows you one way you can
    use to get help for a given command. Often you can get the help by just
    typing the commnand without anything else but usually in a command window
    you type the command and the option /?
    argument is the file, folder, program, etc that the work will be performed
    on. In your case I believe it might be the file you're curious about.

    To be able to run handle it should be in your path or you should explicitly
    type the path to the executable. Take the handle program and put it in C:\
    then go into the folder using the cd command. Then type handle and see what
    happens.

    commands you will likely need
    cd :for this command two dots (..) takes you back a step, try cd /?
    dir :this shows you what files and folders exist in your current
    directory.

    This is all I have time for right now but I hope that helps you.

    Joe
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I went back to SysInternals website and downloaded the GUI version "Process
    Explorer" what an awesome program! Thanks all

    > "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com>
    > wrote in news:10n41d21ovu698c@corp.supernews.com:
    > > I deleted it in safe mode but it came back as soon as I came back on
    > > in normal mode. My main question is, is there a way to find out what
    > > it is associated with? (or any unknown file for a program)
    > >

    > > "Vanguardx" <see_signature> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> File association has nothing to do with a process opening and
    > >> keeping a file handle. Have you tried exiting and relogging in?
    > >> Have you tried rebooting into Safe Mode? You could try using the
    > >> Recovery Console to delete the file. For now, try the following:
    > >>
    > >> - Open Task Manager and leave it open.
    > >> - Use Start -> Run to run "cmd.exe". This opens a DOS shell.
    > >> - Kill all instances of explorer.exe list in the Processes panel of
    > >> Task Manager.
    > >> - The Windows GUI disappears (because explorer.exe is used for it).
    > >> - In the DOS shell, navigate to the folder and delete the file.
    > >> - Use Task Manager's File menu to run "explorer.exe".
    > >> - The Windows GUI will reappear.
    > >>
    > >> You can use the OH.exe utility (Open Handle) included in the
    > >> Microsoft Resource Kit (ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/ResKit/win2000/).
    > >> Or use SysInternal's 'handle' utility. You can use those to see
    > >> what process has an open handle on the file.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
    > >> Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
    >
    > Well, then something ELSE is establishing the presence of the suspect
    > file. I already mentioned in the last paragraph some utilities to see
    > who has a handle to the file. If you boot in Safe mode, you are able to
    > delete it, and then reboot into *SAFE* mode again, does the file show up
    > again? If it only shows up again when you boot into normal mode then
    > you are running something on startup that is recreating the file. As
    > mentioned, use msconfig to disable all start programs, boot into Safe
    > mode, delete the file, reboot into normal mode (but which now will not
    > load any of the startup programs). Did the file reappear? If not then
    > one of the programs listed in msconfig's Startup list is the culprit.

    > ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
    > Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Well assoc won't help you. You are recording a performance log. See Administrative Tools - Performance. It may be a program rather than a user collecting the data in which case it won;t appear in Performance.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:10n5f9nk5gdm84b@corp.supernews.com...
    > The file extension is .dat, it is called Perflib_Perfdata_54c
    >> Go to http://www.filext.com/index.php. Type in the file extension and hit
    >> search!
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Regards:
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >>
    >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >>

    >> "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >I was wondering if there is a program/tool to find out, what program a
    >> >given
    >> > file is associated with? For instance, I have a strange new file in my
    >> > temp
    >> > folder that I can't delete, it says "Cannot delete because it is being
    >> > used
    >> > by a program..."etc...
    >> > but I don't know what program. (I have tested it, virus scanned it,
    >> > AdAware,
    >> > SpyBot, etc.) It would be cool if it were possible to click on a file
    > and
    >> > find out what it is for or what program it belongs to. Any ideas?
    > (besides
    >> > right click-properties)

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    You put the file where cmd can't find it. Drag handle from explorer to a cmd window (this does the typing for you incl the location of handle.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:10n5vf3e3r2e1e9@corp.supernews.com...
    > How do I use the Systernals "Handle" program, the instructions that are on
    > the download page don't make sense to me, it says ...
    >
    > Installation
    > You run Handle by typing "handle". You must have administrative privilge to
    > run Handle.
    > Handle works on Windows 9x/Me and Windows NT and higher.
    > Usage
    > Handle is targetted at searching for open file references, so if you do not
    > specify any command-line parameters it will list the values of all the
    > handles in the system that refer to open files and the names of the files.
    > It also takes several parameters that modify this behavior.
    >

    > usage: handle [-a] [-p process] [name]
    >

    > -a Dump information about all types of handles, not just those that
    > refer to files. Other types include ports, Registry keys, synchronization
    > primitives, threads, and processes.
    >

    > -p process Instead of examining all the handles in the system, this
    > parameter narrows Handle For Windows NT's scan to those processes that begin
    > with the name process. Thus:
    >
    > handle -p exp
    >
    > would dump the open files for all processes that start with "exp",
    > which would include Explorer.
    >

    > name This parameter is present so that you can direct Handle to
    > search for references to an object with a particular name. For example, if
    > you wanted to know which process (if any) has "c:\winnt\system32" open you
    > could type:
    >
    > handle winnt\system
    >
    > The name match is case-insensitive and the fragment specified can be
    > anywhere in the paths you are interested in
    >
    > Where do I type Handle? I tried clicking the handle.exe and it runs a list
    > of something in CMD I tried opening Run>CMD, and typed handle but it does
    > nothing, I hit enter it says 'Handle is not a proper..."
    >
    > I know nothing about using cmd prompt.

File Association Microsoft Windows XP