No Beep, No Post, No Video.... I Need Help.!!

So all you techies... This my dilemma "No Beep, No Post, No Video" cpu Fan and the PSU fan work. So there is some kind of power getting to the board.
I did the whole rutine, took out/changed the memory, changed the cpu ( 3 different ones ) cleared the cmos, even turned it on w/o anything but the cpu( w HS ) on baord. Still I get nuthing. The only thing I haven't changed was the PSU. Could this be the problem, even though its putting out power?

And another question: What constitutes a good or bad ground on a motherboard or in a case anyway? Give me examples, and best ways to fix that. Should I try to use non-metallic washers with the screws ?

Any great answers would be GREATLY appreciated since my brain is fried from trying to resolve this issue. I have built so many PC's in the past and this one is a doosey.

Oh and btw.. this issue resides on 2 of my MB's right now.
Both boards are Biostar: M7VIG 400 & M7VIG Pro

Funny thing was, this box had the M7VIG Pro working fine in it for over a year. All I wanted to do was upgrade my Mobo. Guess there right, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Thank you in advance for any good advice and problem solving you may give me.

Pat
8 answers Last reply
More about beep post video help
  1. Quote:
    So all you techies... This my dilemma "No Beep, No Post, No Video" cpu Fan and the PSU fan work. So there is some kind of power getting to the board.
    I did the whole rutine, took out/changed the memory, changed the cpu ( 3 different ones ) cleared the cmos, even turned it on w/o anything but the cpu( w HS ) on baord. Still I get nuthing. The only thing I haven't changed was the PSU. Could this be the problem, even though its putting out power?

And another question: What constitutes a good or bad ground on a motherboard or in a case anyway? Give me examples, and best ways to fix that. Should I try to use non-metallic washers with the screws ?

Any great answers would be GREATLY appreciated since my brain is fried from trying to resolve this issue. I have built so many PC's in the past and this one is a doosey.

Oh and btw.. this issue resides on 2 of my MB's right now.
    Both boards are Biostar: M7VIG 400 & M7VIG Pro

Funny thing was, this box had the M7VIG Pro working fine in it for over a year. All I wanted to do was upgrade my Mobo. Guess there right, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Thank you in advance for any good advice and problem solving you may give me.

Pat

You have used three cpu's, two MB's and used different RAM. You didn't mention the video. I would ask if this is your first build? Also, have you flashed the BIOS on BOTH MB's at this point. The only thing I can think of logically that is causing your problem would be faulty BIOS chips on the two boards.
  2. Couple things, those socket A boards you mentioned are notoriously bad. I've had so many come through my doors. I would not be surprised to see two bad boards in one batch, at all.

Also, the fact that the board has power running through it definately won't account for a bad mobo. And as badge mentioned you need to change every aspect for at least 90% assurity, using the same video card wouldn't give you the right end result, and if it's the same video card and the problem consists that could be the (or a) problem in the system.

Do as badge said about flashing the BIOS, if that doesn't work, swap to another video card, if that doesn't work. Try one more mobo w/ orig cpu/mem, new vga. If that doesn't work, try new mobo w/orig cpu, new mem/vga, etc.

Process of elimination is a fickle business and sometimes time consuming but eventually the problem should be figured out.
  3. Oh and one more thing, the grounding of a motherboard doesn't rely entirely too much on what you screw in on top but making sure the top 3 (most common) and the bottom and at least 1 in the middle are screwed in matters, also placement of the copper brackets into the case matter.

Had a guy fry his 12v rail because he placed one of the copper brackets right under it. Tested his PSU w/ and w/o the 12v rail plugged in, with it in the PSU wouldn't load...without it worked fine. Tested it on multiple PSUs.
  4. No this is NOT my first build. and NO I didnt flash the bios's. I built this box a year ago and it has been working perfectly fine until I decided to change the motherboard. Both of my MB's have built on video. But I use an ATI 9600 AIW video card, and on all my tests and the change of the MB I used the internal video on both boards when I restarted the machine. I truely don't understand why my old board has the same problem, since it was working fine before I decided to change it.

Oh yeah... how amI suppose to flash the bios if I dont see no video anyway?

Pat
  5. Man.... I dont get it...how does a PSU just peter out just like that when it was working just fine 2 minutes before I started this project. I give up. but your probly right... it is most likely a PSU problem.

And it not like its a shotty PSU. and btw... this is the first time I ever had any problems with Biostar MB's. I own another in my wife's machine and runs like a champ. and I am not gunna touch it either.

Murphy's law.
  6. Thanks for yur input. greatly appreciated. :D
  7. Quote:
    ...I own another in my wife's machine and runs like a champ. and I am not gunna touch it either. ....

This man knows the way to domestic harmony! :)

BTW, many places sell small "power supply testers" that plug into the 20 or 24 pin power cable and cost maybe $15.
  8. There are 2 things to look for regarding your problem.

(1) mobo
    Check to see if your mobo is mounted correctly on your chasis. If you for example have an extra screw hitting your mobo underneath, it can cause a short circuit and cause a "NO POST" issue, even if you see power coming in to your mobo.

(2) Power Supply
    Most people, think that the total amount of power like 500W is plenty. However, if you have a recent graphics card, it can require at least 19A or 20A power requirements. On cheaper Power supplies, the number can go under 19A and so your PC will not boot. Also, if your PS allows it, change the mode to "SPLIT" - this allows the power to evenly support all your parts.

(3) HeatSink and paste
    Are you using paste with your heatsink? If you happen to put too much on the plate, it can squeese out and slip inside on of the CPU holes (if you are using AMD sockets). If paste ever gets inside one of those very very small holes, this can cause the PC not to post. Most likely your mobo will need to hit trash as well.

(4) Startup
    Are your connections to startup set in the correct direction of the pins? Sometimes it is hard to see which way they should go in. If you make a mistake, you will of course not be able to post. Also, you should just try a screwdriver and touch the pin to make the PC start for testing (if you are not sure).

(5) Bios update
    If your have a new CPU and an older mobo, there is a chance your CMOS does not reconize the CPU. In this case you need to clear the CMOS by removing the jumper, etc. Also, you should check to see you have the latest BIOS updates for your mobo.

(6) Wait a mininute....Did I not just say 2 things? hehehe!
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Video CPUs Components