Move zone files from W2K Advanced Server to W2K Standard

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 28, 2004 7:24:07 PM

I am trying to move all of my zone files from a Domain Controller running
Advanced Server (sp4) to a new Domain Controller running Standard W2K (sp4).

I have followed KB # http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280061

It list the 2nd registry key of :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DNS
Server\Zones

This key does not show up on the Advanced Server machine. I tried doing the
rest of the article and no zones will show up.

Any help?

Thanks.
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 7:37:49 PM

"Mark Simons" <msimons@bakersfield.com> wrote in message
news:o WjQaGPdEHA.3216@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

> I am trying to move all of my zone files from a Domain Controller running
> Advanced Server (sp4) to a new Domain Controller running Standard W2K
(sp4).

> I have followed KB # http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280061
>
> It list the 2nd registry key of :
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DNS
> Server\Zones
>
> This key does not show up on the Advanced Server machine. I tried doing
the
> rest of the article and no zones will show up.
>
> Any help?
>
> Thanks.

Maybe there are no zones created yet on the new machine, hence the lack of
the key. You can create the key.

That article shows you how to move numerous zone from one machine to
another. You can also use dnscmd and DnsDump (at www.reskit.com) to do it as
well.

But if all you have is one zone, the easiest way is to create a secondary
zone of this zone on the new machine, then allow the transfer, then once it
has transferred, then change the zone to a Primary or AD Integrated,
whichever is required.

--
Regards,
Ace