A8N-SLI Premium intermittent power on

smolskimatt

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I have an Asus A8N-SLI Premium and Antec Smartpower 500 which have been working reliably since February. Since upgrading the case I have an intermittent power on problem. I disconnected everything but the processor, fan, ram and video. It's out of the case resting on books. The green LED on the motherboard stays lit consistently with psu plugged in and switched on. I've tried clearing rtc, reseating connectors etc. I've made it start intermittently with the video card and without. It appears to be totally intermittent - mostly it doesn't work. It seems more likely to start if the psu is switched off and disconnected from ac for an hour or so. I've tested the psu with a P3 motherboard (not dual 12v) and it works consistently. I feel the motherboard is at fault. I've emailed ASUS and Antec. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Oh yeah. Upon shorting pwr pins, the symptom is green led stays lit, and nothing else happens. No CPU fan movement, no dimming, clicking, video lines, nothing. Unless it decides to work and everything spins up, turns on etc. Thanks again.

When it decides to work, it will work repeatedly, only if the power supply remains plugged in and on. If the power supply is disconnected or turned off, intermittent trouble returns. The CMOS battery was tested good. Thanks.

dokk

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
I have an Asus A8N-SLI Premium and Antec Smartpower 500 which have been working reliably since February. Since upgrading the case I have an intermittent power on problem. I disconnected everything but the processor, fan, ram and video. It's out of the case resting on books. The green LED on the motherboard stays lit consistently with psu plugged in and switched on. I've tried clearing rtc, reseating connectors etc. I've made it start intermittently with the video card and without. It appears to be totally intermittent - mostly it doesn't work. It seems more likely to start if the psu is switched off and disconnected from ac for an hour or so. I've tested the psu with a P3 motherboard (not dual 12v) and it works consistently. I feel the motherboard is at fault. I've emailed ASUS and Antec. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Oh yeah. Upon shorting pwr pins, the symptom is green led stays lit, and nothing else happens. No CPU fan movement, no dimming, clicking, video lines, nothing. Unless it decides to work and everything spins up, turns on etc. Thanks again.

When it decides to work, it will work repeatedly, only if the power supply remains plugged in and on. If the power supply is disconnected or turned off, intermittent trouble returns. The CMOS battery was tested good. Thanks.

Yeah I had an ASUS MOBO that,,
1.would not see anything on ide channel 2,
2,ate the bios all the time..
R M A THE SUCKER FAST,if you still can,,,,??,,do not play with it for fear of user signs of damage,just get rid of it,,one thing tho,check the bottom/top of the mobo for any bent and touching pins,,,had that once on an older ASUS mobo[vesa]....g'luck..:))

we are assuming that your mobo is properly grounded whilst in the case????

donshaw

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
i had a similiar problem with my asus a8n32-sli deluxe motherboard and it turned out to be a memory card seating problem.took forever to find it becase they looked locked down correctly.if you have multiple sticks try running one at a time in each slot then go from there.