New build, need compatibility check!!!

calyn

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2005
I'm not that familiar with Rosewill PSU's, but I haven't seen anyone advise those here. Instead I'd advise this Antec as a PSU. It is a little bit weaker on the 12V rails, but is more than sufficient and it has 3 of them instead of 2.

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
only 500w that's a no no

Actually it's fine. In fact, he could get away with 450W.

You mean I can get away with 450W!
The psu is really not the issue here, i was asking on the compatibility check for mb and memory. XMS2 is a good brand, in your opinion how does it mix in with p5b :?:

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

In that price range, I'd recommend this mushkin. This unit has plenty of power for your planned build and the rail fusion capability may come in handy if you ever put a DX-10 GPU in. Solid unit!

i don't see how that mushkin is any better than my choice? am I wrong?

I've actually taken a look at the internals of the mushkin as well as many other popular power supplies. What you can do it to look at components like transistors, capacitors, etc., then go look at their specs. The mushkin uses parts on the order of quality of the PCP&C units. So whereas FSP, mushkin and PCP&C are all made at the same factory, they are not all made with identical parts. In addition, the design of the mushkin includes rail fusion. Go to their web site and check out this feature, look at their +12 volt rail specs, etc. My opinion is that the unit you chose is a level or two down in quality compared to the mushkin, yet is only something like 7 bucks cheaper. It's a no brainer, but I'm willing to pay for a good PS because I've been burned by the mid price stuff too many times.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
how about my memory and mobo, no issues there right :?: :!:

I've heard a bunch of people give thumbs up on the RAM. I've decided to wait a while for the mobo waters to clear before buying a Conroe myself. I know I read a positive review of your choice by a couple of Core builders but I have not seen enough recent pro reviews to know how it compares to the ~$250 boards. Have you looked at other forums for more mobo info? Probably worth the effort. I look forward to hearing how your build goes. It should scream!