How far can E6300 oc on stock cooling?

Generals

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
hi anyone know how far the E6300 can go on stock cooling?

any tips on what ram and mobo to use?

i would prefer oc by increasing the fsb of the processor. without increasing voltages and stuff. also with stock cooling only.

if it can easily go above 2.4ghz, it would be a very good buy against E6600!

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
im not sure how far u can oc a cpu without increasing the voltage... you have to remember that each processor is different. some will oc really well, while other wont do much at all. its all in the luck of the draw my friend.

and btw the E6600 has a larger cache and is made a bit different. so even if u got ur card up to 2.4, the E6600 would still be faster.

Generals

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
im new to oc'ings but found it very interesting.

was wondering how it is done. correct me if i am wrong...

1st step is to slowly increase the fsb of the processor, my question is how do you know when to add a voltage increase? what are the things that will happen to let you know?

how do you know you reached a ceiling performance and can no longer go faster?

can you just use "value select" rams and use them on a system that you will overclock?

lastly, any guides for beginners on overclocking E6300?

thanks

Generals

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2802&p=2

I found this article. It might be helpful to you.
They reach 2.592GHz using a 370MHz FSB at 1.400V (up from 1.320V stock)
Maybe without increasing the voltage you might hit 2.4Ghz.

have a look at this;
http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/cpu/intel/Core2DuoLaunch/6300OC/e6300oc.gif

thanks for the informative site. by the way, think the 2nd link has a problem. i cant seem to visit it.

1. during overclock, (bec i never tried oc'ing) what happens when you hit an fsb that the processor cant operate on anymore? does it hang or wont start?

2. followup to the 1st question: what do you do after that?

batigol

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
First of all the second link is a picture from the anandtech site review. So its not important.
1. question : probably you see the frequency at the beginning (booting) but it may hang at anytime.Sometimes before loading windows sometimes while loading windows it depends...
2. question : when you reach the max stable frequency with stock voltage you should increase the cpu core voltage.

But i have to remind you that i am not an expert. I hope somebody who has more knowledge will answer your questions.

Good luck.Take care.

My setup is: AMD Athlon XP 2000+@2.2Ghz stock cooling

platbr

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I just built a Core 2 Duo E6300 system with an Abit AB9. I'm hitting 2.331 Ghz with a Zalman heatsink, but as cool as things are running (32.0c) I'd imagine you'd be able to do this with stock cooling no problem. I'm running stock voltages, as well, for both RAM and CPU.

I have been unable to go above 333Mhz FSB, though, and I'm wondering if I need to up the voltages a bit. I POST, but I can't get Windows to start. My RAM is still at 1.8v, though... bumping it to 2.2v might do the trick!

Generals

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
First of all the second link is a picture from the anandtech site review. So its not important.
1. question : probably you see the frequency at the beginning (booting) but it may hang at anytime.Sometimes before loading windows sometimes while loading windows it depends...
2. question : when you reach the max stable frequency with stock voltage you should increase the cpu core voltage.

just a followup. what do you do when you exceeded your stable fsb? (if i dont want to increase voltage) can i still go to the bios and change the fsb? or do i (heard this somewhere) have to flash the bios??

how do you flash the bios?

what is a CMOS data? how do you clear it?

thanks

platbr

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
just to clarify:

when you say Zalman heatsink, you mean it doesnt have a fan?

what types of RAMs do you use?

thanks

The Zalman 9500 heatsink does have a fan, and appears to keep things pretty cool. See Pictures Here My idle temps are 29.0c to 32.0c, and my "working" temps are around 40.0c. It was around ~$60 and is all copper. I like it a lot (even if just for its cool looks!).

My RAM is DDR2-667 Corsair ValueSelect. I'm beginning to wonder if it was a mistake to buy DDR2-667 -- my recommendation for overclocking is DDR2-800. Core 2 Duo likes 1:1 timings... and with DDR2-667 that means a max of a 333 frontside. DDR2-800 would allow you a 400 FSB, but I don't seem to be able to break the 333 Mhz barrier with any measure of stability.

Generals

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
you mentioned that "Core 2 Duo likes 1:1 timings... "

do you mean that at stock speed, Two DDR2-533 on dual channel would be best?

by the way, most of the setup i see on the memory is 2gb, why is this so? do we need that much? what specific softwares do you use for it?

thanks.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Alright here you go;
Overclocking by increasing FSB is the ONLY way to overclock all but the xtreme ed. CPU's. Start slow, remember intel uses a quad FSB, so you might have to do a bit of math. I.E. your bios might report 200Mhz FSB, which would be 800Mhz overall, make sense? It depends on the Motherboard manufacturer what the bios screen will look like and what your options are. If you get ASUS, just don't use AIBooster or AINos, that stuff sucks butt. Use manual settings. Slowly crank up your FSB speed, stick to 20-40Mhz at a time. When you get to a number you're happy with, it's time to check stability. You can do this with special programs like Prime95. Or you could fire up Oblivion and play for a few hours. The point is to stress the system to check for instability. If it crashes, chances are you've found an instability. At that point you can either A. crank up Vcore a little, or B. Reduce your overclock. WATCH YOUR TEMPS!
Memory can be a real pain if it's not good, but there are several value choices that have very good quality. Remember, even the best RAM offers a very small performance benefit over the cheap stuff. Hope this helps, good luck.

platbr

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
you mentioned that "Core 2 Duo likes 1:1 timings... "

do you mean that at stock speed, Two DDR2-533 on dual channel would be best?

by the way, most of the setup i see on the memory is 2gb, why is this so? do we need that much? what specific softwares do you use for it?

thanks.

I have seen several reviews that suggest that 1:1 timings are best with the Core 2 Duos. This doesn't really make sense to me -- I'm not sure why a higher divider isn't better. One review said that 1:1 was no better than 4:5, but that at 2:3 the faster ram started to show performance increases (i.e. at stock speeds DDR2-533 (1:1) was nearly as fast as DDR2-667 (4:5), but not as fast as DDR2-800 (2:3)). I'm not sure that DDR2-533 would be "best," but I don't think you can go wrong with 1:1 timings if you're not planning to overclock.

That said, I kind of regret (almost) the cheap 2gb of Corsair Value Select ram that I purchased for $120. I'm having a hard time pushing past 2.34 Ghz on my Core 2 Duo E6300, and I think that's at least in part due to the ram.

Snajo

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
I know this is something of an old thread, but I was interested in others results so I checked here. I'm hitting 2.8Ghz with my E6300 on stock cooling with a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. I'm using generic PC5200 DDR2 at 1.9v (1.8 + 0.1)

The only way I've found to really run up heat on this thing is by running 2 instances of SP2004. It's just a Prime95 GUI that lets me select when thread to run the program on.

According to speadfan I'm hitting temps up to 67c, but I'm not sure if that's the CPU or the Northbridge. The CPU heatsink isn't very hot, while the Northbrindge 'sink would burn my hand if I touched it long enough.

readings are:
Temp1: 32c
Temp2: 58c
Temp3: -2c
Local Temp: 37c
Remote Temp: 40c

I assume the 58c is my processor, but I don't understand why it's the northbridge that is so hot. Also, how hot can the northbridge get without causing errors?

I have a Thermalright Ultra-120 and 120mm fan on the way. I'll post if that helps, although I think my limit is not with the CPU.

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I know this is something of an old thread, but I was interested in others results so I checked here. I'm hitting 2.8Ghz with my E6300 on stock cooling with a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. I'm using generic PC5200 DDR2 at 1.9v (1.8 + 0.1)

The only way I've found to really run up heat on this thing is by running 2 instances of SP2004. It's just a Prime95 GUI that lets me select when thread to run the program on.

According to speadfan I'm hitting temps up to 67c, but I'm not sure if that's the CPU or the Northbridge. The CPU heatsink isn't very hot, while the Northbrindge 'sink would burn my hand if I touched it long enough.

readings are:
Temp1: 32c
Temp2: 58c
Temp3: -2c
Local Temp: 37c
Remote Temp: 40c

I assume the 58c is my processor, but I don't understand why it's the northbridge that is so hot. Also, how hot can the northbridge get without causing errors?

I have a Thermalright Ultra-120 and 120mm fan on the way. I'll post if that helps, although I think my limit is not with the CPU.

For sure that temperature is your NB (my NB is hot too). How will you fit a 120mm fan in there? Get a 40mm fan and twist tie it on, that is what I did. If your E6300 is running at 58C then you have a problem. Download Coretemp, it gives much more accurate readings and update your bios to F4.

NB is interface between CPU and other components such as your ram.

smacznykonsek

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I've got:
gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev 3.3
2x Kingstone DDR2 1GB PC5300 (667mHz)
C2D E6300 + Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2

Did overclock the fsb to 400 and ram was sync so got 800mHz from ram, the cpu temp was only hitting 65 degrees during prime95 and ram was 40c max but few days later it won't go through post screen and bios auto-restores settings every time I overclock too much :/
dont really know what I did wrong? I did leave all the voltages at auto at the time... could that be it?
I could have had some error message from bios but I don't know since my case speaker is unplugged and I cant be just bothered to put it back :D
@trixst4r - what sort of voltages did you use? you seem to have a similar setup. btw i did put a 40mm fan on my nb as well.