Internal/External domains different.

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'll see if I can describe this accurately...
I want to entirely hide or internal domain name as it is currently the
previous name of our company. Our DNS is registered as ns1 and
ns2.external.com but the SOA shows up as NetBIOS-name.internal.com. Now I
know I can go to
"System Properties/Network Identification/Properties/More... and set the
"Primary DNS Suffix" for this machine to external.com but the NetBIOS
machine name is still prepended to that suffix.

Couple of questions... If I change the "Primary DNS Suffix" for this
machine is the whole DNS gonna blow up on me? How can I get rid of the
NetBIOS name? Is a CNAME the answer?

Thanks,

Larry

In news:Xns9535649AC3B52ridingmyvalkyrie@206.66.12.209,
Larry <riding@my.valkyrie> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> I'll see if I can describe this accurately...
> I want to entirely hide or internal domain name as it is
> currently the previous name of our company. Our DNS is
> registered as ns1 and ns2.external.com but the SOA shows
> up as NetBIOS-name.internal.com. Now I know I can go to
> "System Properties/Network
> Identification/Properties/More... and set the "Primary
> DNS Suffix" for this machine to external.com but the
> NetBIOS machine name is still prepended to that suffix.
>
> Couple of questions... If I change the "Primary DNS
> Suffix" for this machine is the whole DNS gonna blow up
> on me? How can I get rid of the NetBIOS name? Is a CNAME
> the answer?

It depends if Active Directory is in use. Is DNS on a Domain Controller?

If it isn't then you can change the SOA record, if AD is in use and the zone
is stored in AD you can't change it because when the zone reloads it will
revert to the machine name.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in

> In news:Xns9535649AC3B52ridingmyvalkyrie@206.66.12.209,
> Larry <riding@my.valkyrie> posted a question
> Then Kevin replied below:
>> I'll see if I can describe this accurately...
>> I want to entirely hide or internal domain name as it is
>> currently the previous name of our company. Our DNS is
>> registered as ns1 and ns2.external.com but the SOA shows
>> up as NetBIOS-name.internal.com. Now I know I can go to
>> "System Properties/Network
>> Identification/Properties/More... and set the "Primary
>> DNS Suffix" for this machine to external.com but the
>> NetBIOS machine name is still prepended to that suffix.
>>
>> Couple of questions... If I change the "Primary DNS
>> Suffix" for this machine is the whole DNS gonna blow up
>> on me? How can I get rid of the NetBIOS name? Is a CNAME
>> the answer?
>
> It depends if Active Directory is in use. Is DNS on a Domain
> Controller?
>
> If it isn't then you can change the SOA record, if AD is in use and
> the zone is stored in AD you can't change it because when the zone
> reloads it will revert to the machine name.

It's not using AD nor is it on a DC. Is it safe to assume that changing the
Primary DNS Suffix is then OK? What about the NetBios name?

In news:Xns95357FC1D4CB9ridingmyvalkyrie@206.66.12.209,
Larry <riding@my.valkyrie> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> It's not using AD nor is it on a DC. Is it safe to assume
> that changing the Primary DNS Suffix is then OK?

From what you are saying about the environment it is in you can change the
name. The benefit I suppose is that when you create a new zone, it will use
the correct name of the SOA primary nameserver, even though without changing
the name of the computer, you can change that record manually.

What
> about the NetBIOS name?

That is the Host name of the computer, which is also the name that is
broadcast to the Network (It shows up in Network Places)
Changing the host name of the computer depends on if you have any mapped
drives using the current NetBIOS host name.