power supply cables?

howuncreative

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
DSC02014.jpg

this is my first build and i have no idea how to connect these things. do i use only one cable for each component, or can i just use one cable to connect everything. my case's fan is also kind of strange:
DSC02015.jpg

im pretty sure that isn't the normal port. which one do i use and how does it figure out its fan speed without being directly connected to the motherboard?

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Ok list of power cables...

1. 24 or 20 pin power cable to motherboard
2. 4 or 8 pin for cpu (should be top left of cpu)
3. 6 pin pci-e cable for video cards
4. 4 pin molex for hdd's, optical drives and fans (some other peripherals as well like fan controllers
5. flat black power cable to hdd's, typically those that are sata
6. 3 pin for fans

The first 3 are easy as they will only fit into one thing, you may have to use a 8 to 4 pin adaptor if your cpu takes a 4 pin and your psu comes with an 8 pin (adaptor should be included)

Newer hdd's typically use the black flat power that is right beside the sata connector, some take either the black flat one or a 4 pin (big white one). Use only one of these NOT both.

Fans:
1.If your fans only have the 4 pin molex for power then you have to connect them to the psu that way and they will run at max rpms all the time. Or you can buy a fan controller to power the fan and control the rpms.
2.If it has a 3 pin with yellow black and red wires then you can connect that to the motherboard to controll it from bios.
3.Some psu's have a special 4 pin molex where the psu can control the rpms based on heat.
4.Some fans have both the 4 pin molex and a 3 pin sensor (yellow wire only), you have to use the 4 pin molex for power and connect the 3 pin to the motherboard so that you can monitor it's rpms (don't have to connect the 3 pin if you don't want to).
5. Fans (and other peripherals) typically have both a male and female connector so that you don't lose the use of that molex to power just the fan. You can connect the 4 pin female from the psu to the fan then connect another component to the 4 pin female from the fan to power that.

howuncreative

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
thanks guys. i connected everything but its still super messy. i shoved the cables i didn't need into the drive bay and taped them on so they cant move anywhere.
the fan kind of worries me though. its a big 120mm fan, and if it always runs at max it might make quite a bit of noise. i guess ill wait and see if sound is an issue before i buy a fan thingy.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Just a note of caution. Don't use tape inside your case, it will dry up and peel off and possibly fly around until it gets caught in a fan (maybe your cpu fan) and cause a mess if it doesn't just stop the fan and fry your cpu.

Use zip ties or twist ties to anchor your extra cables.

Also a fan controller really helps, I have 8 fans and run them all off 2 different controllers (one is a dedicated 3 fan 2 light controller and the other is a 17 in 1 multi function panel).

Vantec Nexus 305
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813999903

Enermax UC-9FATR2
http://www.enermax.com/english/product_peripherals_detail.asp?PrID=34

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
as waylander said, twist ties or zipties, personally i'd get zipties. twist ties are covered in paper, that can dry up and be a fire hazard.

howuncreative

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
ok, everything is tied up with zip ties. about the fan controller, can i just use this: http://www.interloper.com/products/product-details.php?productid=50620021&cat=

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
That will work but it will make the inside of the case even more cluttered with cables. I'd stick to a good fan controller, you can get some for $30 which isn't really that much more than two of those adaptors.