Noob Having Trouble OCing X2 4200+

Wuzupmcs68

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I have a new build that I'm trying to OC but I'm not having any luck. The highest I can get the FSB is 209 before it locks up. I've tried doing this with the AI Booster program thing that came with my mobo (in windows) and also in the BIOS. I increase the voltage up to 1.45 and even 1.5 and higher but it just keeps locking up. I have a good Zalman heatsink/fan IMHO. I don't know what to do any suggestions?

AMD X2 4200+ Socket AM2
2x1gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Nforce570 Ultra
ASUS ATI x1900xt 512mb eVGA
WD 150GB Raptor
NZXT 500w PSU
NZXT Lexa case with 3x120mm & 1x90mm fans
Samsung DVD RW

I have a new build that I'm trying to OC but I'm not having any luck. The highest I can get the FSB is 209 before it locks up. I've tried doing this with the AI Booster program thing that came with my mobo (in windows) and also in the BIOS. I increase the voltage up to 1.45 and even 1.5 and higher but it just keeps locking up. I have a good Zalman heatsink/fan IMHO. I don't know what to do any suggestions?

AMD X2 4200+ Socket AM2
2x1gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Nforce570 Ultra
ASUS ATI x1900xt 512mb eVGA
WD 150GB Raptor
NZXT 500w PSU
NZXT Lexa case with 3x120mm & 1x90mm fans
Samsung DVD RW

You will have to lock the PCI Sync and up the PCI Bus to at least 110 to get more than a 10% increase on the FSB. Upping the Vcore at this point is pointless and risks unnecessary damage to you CPU.

Wuzupmcs68

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I raised the PCIclock (if thats what our talking about) to 110 and tried to raise the bus but still locks up. Couldn't find the PCI sync. what does the PCI have to do with it I've never heardof changing that when overclocking at least in the noob overclocking guides I've read.

I raised the PCIclock (if thats what our talking about) to 110 and tried to raise the bus but still locks up. Couldn't find the PCI sync. what does the PCI have to do with it I've never heardof changing that when overclocking at least in the noob overclocking guides I've read.

You will have to lock the PCIClock at 331/3. Default is auto. If you are asking for a techinical defination, I can't help. You will not get more than a 10 to 12 percent overclock without locking the PCI Clock. It's under the Jumperless Free Configuration tab. Overclocking is different for every system. So, I can't tell you specifically how to achieve a decent overclock. Just a few of the basics with that ASUS board. I have 4 or 5 ASUS boards running curently, but not that particular one. You won't ned to do anything with the Vcore until you get to about a 20% FSB overclock. That's a decent overclock.

ctrl_alt_del

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
By locking up do you mean your computer won't boot into Windows, it Just gets stuck ing the BIOs and restarts? Or do you mean Windows freezes then crashes?

Wuzupmcs68

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Whenever I OC in windows, with the ASUS Overclocking program it just locks up whenever I click to apply the overclock changes (increased bus clock). When I overclock in the bios it just doesnt boot when ever I hit f10 (save and restart).

P.S. Ive gotten the FSB to 216 thats almost a 10% increase isn't it. But any further than that it locks up. I was kinda hoping for more hearing about people getting 2.6 to 3.0 GHZ, while I'm stuck at 2.38

sil3n7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
try turning the multiplyer down to 8 and fsb to 275 then slowly 5 mhz at a time increase the mhz start the system and see if it runs. if it starts to wig out increase the vcore slightly till it become stable again. another problem is that your memory is running to fast and has reached the oc limit to solve this in your bios turn the memory clock down to 533 or 667 or so on it will reduce the natural level of speed for the memory so that the fsb applied to it dsnt put it over its limit.

an example is mine

amd 4200+ x2
asus a8n-sli
corsair xms 512x2

stock is 2.2ghz im at 2.76Ghz with a 1.5vcore on air idle is 35c full load running 2 instances or prime 95 is 65c.and i turned memory down to a 266 rating in bios but when using cpu-z shows a 230mhz or ddr460 rating as works as if it was ddr460.

remember to make small increments and not to just make a huge leap this can cause harm also a good idea that if its brand new is to let the thermal paste bake on before you go and oc. so that temps are much better and allow you to oc more.

this may not let you oc to the same level as me but it may help you to find the sweet spot for your cpu and memory.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=112174