Windows 2000 and DNS Replication Errors

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
July 30, 2004 11:19:02 AM

have a network admin for a small site with two DCs in a single location.

I recently brought up another DC and I am seeing lots of errors in event viewer.

** PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THIS DOMAIN WAS SETUP AS A SINGLE SITE ***

I have already applied this update, but it did't help:

Here are some screen shots of the FSMO errors I see as well:

http://www.durrantfamily.com/untitled.bmp
http://www.durrantfamily.com/untitled2.bmp

Here are the details from the event viewer:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: NtFrs
Event Category: None
Event ID: 13508
Date: 7/29/2004
Time: 6:34:38 PM
User: N/A
Computer: BEAVIS
The File Replication Service is having trouble
enabling replication from BORABORA to BEAVIS for
c:\winnt\sysvol\domain using the DNS name
borabora.JetsElectric. FRS will keep retrying.
Following are some of the reasons you would see this
warning.

[1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name
borabora.JetsElectric from this computer.
[2] FRS is not running on borabora.JetsElectric.
[3] The topology information in the Active Directory
for this replica has not yet replicated to all the
Domain Controllers.

This event log message will appear once per
connection, After the problem is fixed you will see
another event log message indicating that the
connection has been established.
Data:
0000: d9 06 00 00 Ù...

Event Type: Error
Event Source: NETLOGON
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5774
Date: 7/29/2004
Time: 6:47:56 PM
User: N/A
Computer: BEAVIS
Registration of the DNS record
'5abe4634-9572-4eea-a0a1-01f0539ea6c6._msdcs.JetsElectric.
600 IN CNAME beavis.JetsElectric.' failed with the
following error:
DNS RR set that ought to exist, does not exist.
Data:
0000: 30 23 00 00 0#..

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: NTDS KCC
Event Category: Knowledge Consistency Checker
Event ID: 1265
Date: 7/29/2004
Time: 6:59:46 PM
User: N/A
Computer: BORABORA
The attempt to establish a replication link with
parameters

Partition: CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=JetsElectric
Source DSA DN: CN=NTDS
Settings,CN=BEAVIS,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=JetsElectric
Source DSA Address:
5abe4634-9572-4eea-a0a1-01f0539ea6c6._msdcs.JetsElectric
Inter-site Transport (if any):

failed with the following status:

The DSA operation is unable to proceed because of a
DNS lookup failure.

The record data is the status code. This operation
will be retried.
Data:
0000: 4c 21 00 00 L!..

Date: 7/29/2004
Time: 6:59:46 PM
User: N/A
Computer: BORABORA
The attempt to establish a replication link with
parameters

Partition: CN=Configuration,DC=JetsElectric
Source DSA DN: CN=NTDS
Settings,CN=BEAVIS,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=JetsElectric
Source DSA Address:
5abe4634-9572-4eea-a0a1-01f0539ea6c6._msdcs.JetsElectric
Inter-site Transport (if any):

failed with the following status:

The DSA operation is unable to proceed because of a
DNS lookup failure.

The record data is the status code. This operation
will be retried.
Data:

Date: 7/29/2004
Time: 6:59:46 PM
User: N/A
Computer: BORABORA
The attempt to establish a replication link with
parameters

Partition: DC=JetsElectric
Source DSA DN: CN=NTDS
Settings,CN=BEAVIS,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=JetsElectric
Source DSA Address:
5abe4634-9572-4eea-a0a1-01f0539ea6c6._msdcs.JetsElectric
Inter-site Transport (if any):

failed with the following status:

The DSA operation is unable to proceed because of a
DNS lookup failure.

The record data is the status code. This operation
will be retried.
Data:
0000: 4c 21 00 00 L!..

------------------------------------

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: NTDS Replication
Event Category: Replication
Event ID: 1586
Date: 7/29/2004
Time: 6:57:01 PM
User: JETSELECTRIC\justin
Computer: BORABORA
The checkpoint with the PDC was unsuccessful. The
checkpointing process will be retried again in four
hours. A full synchronization of the security database
to downlevel domain controllers may take place if this
machine is promoted to be the PDC before the next
successful checkpoint. The error returned was: The
naming context is in the process of being removed or
is not replicated from the specified server.

Any ideas whats going on?

Justin
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 2:15:18 PM

In news:9DE97C77-483F-4823-9182-C8FF553E49D0@microsoft.com,
Justin <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> have a network admin for a small site with two DCs in a
> single location.
>
> I recently brought up another DC and I am seeing lots of
> errors in event viewer.
>
> ** PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THIS DOMAIN WAS SETUP AS A SINGLE
> SITE ***
>
> I have already applied this update, but it did't help:

Have you applied all of the registry entries to all of the DCs and to all
clients running Win2kSP4 and XP?
Make sure you are using only the internal DNS in all DCs and clients. No
ISP's DNS allowed on any NIC in any position.

You're single-label domain name is going to be a thorn in your side from now
on. If it were my choice, I would bring the third DC up under a different
domain name that has a multi-label name, create trust and use ADMT to
migrate the accounts to the new domain. demote the other DCs and promote
them into the new multi-label domain.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

I only applied the regsitry changes to the two DCs.. Why would I have to do the clients?

I think your idea of briging up a new domain is excellent.

However one of these DCs running Exchange 2000 and I am not sure how to migrate that to the new domain.