Origin Launches Eon17-SLX Gaming Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

amartin_109

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
[citation][nom]allenpan[/nom]@ amartin_109lean how to read:Eon17-SLX is based on a whitebox design that is sold by "Clevo" as the P370EM3[/citation]

Thanks for pointing that out. Didn't make that connection for some reason.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
Single 3GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GTX 670MX - 276
Single 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 7970M 480
Single 4GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GTX 680M 738

considering, at least that the 7970m is about a 7850 and that goes for the 680m too.
and the 7850 costs 200$, they are screwing you there.

the graphics card alone in this thing is where you are getting screwed, ot their credit, nowhere else are they over chargeing for the parts. even ram, where they could easily over charge, they are offering you probably better prices than the desktop equivalent.

that said, i do not like the screen ratio, and i do not like that the better screen option is tied to nvidia.

but beyond that its not a bad laptop, just over priced graphic components, and possibly cpu but i cant tell.

that said, again, there was a desktop replacement here a few months back that was 2100$ with dual gpu of the 7970 as a standard option... or was that 3000$ i believe it was 2000 because i thought it was a very reasonable price for what you got.

Somehow the word overheat comes to mind.
If i remmber correctly, it takes about 300W of power to run.
For some reason, id rather get a desktop for 2k and then a great laptop for 2k, than spend 6k on that monstrosity.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]PostedAsAnonymous[/nom]This computer by ASUS (link) has been out a while with very similar specs for about half the price.Granted it sounds like Origin's case allows for more expansion I still think I'm paying for the brand and way too much for the assembly as a whole.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6834230580[/citation]
I have an Asus G75. Its not a bad machine for the money, some might say. It is quiet and tends to my limited gaming needs well enough. I have no complaints whatsoever and would buy again.

wannabepro

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]PostedAsAnonymous[/nom]This computer by ASUS (link) has been out a while with very similar specs for about half the price.Granted it sounds like Origin's case allows for more expansion I still think I'm paying for the brand and way too much for the assembly as a whole.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6834230580[/citation]
Very similar specs? LOL

That has a GTX 660m. It has an i7 3610 qm at 2.3 GHZ and only 8 GB of RAM. The HDD is just that, an HDD.

Deadboy90

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
With dual 680m's (Which are basically underclocked full size GTX 670's) you will NEED that i7 3940XM, it's just too much graphics power for an entry level quad core to tame.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]There are times I wonder if it would be possible to drop a low-mid end desktop GPU card into a laptop...[/citation]
no, because desktop GPU by design has higher TDP and implies a larger PCB that goes with it, laptops don't have that kind of luxury. Now, I'm not saying it hasn't been done, it's just a poor idea. There are plenty of laptops out there with desktop CPUs however.

@article:
I wish TH would stop posting these ads for origin/eurocom/[insert name of another boutique vendor here]. They aren't doing anything ground breaking, all their machines are just rebrands of Clevo or Asus cases.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]AntiZig[/nom]@article:I wish TH would stop posting these ads for origin/eurocom/[insert name of another boutique vendor here]. They aren't doing anything ground breaking, all their machines are just rebrands of Clevo or Asus cases.[/citation]

Sadly, I think these ads that are becoming more and more prevalent here is how TH survives. They're growing and it looks like all this in-your-face advertising (articles such as this, CDW pop-ups, etc.) is how they get paid. While it may seem like prostitution to some I suppose its also a necessary evil like the former. I could be way off base but this is how it appears to me. A lot has changed (some for the negative) at this site, which, despite the in-your-face ads, is still my favorite.

I've said before and I'll say again, I'd happily pay a reasonable subscription price to TH if I could be ensured an ad-free experience. I'd like to see that option materialize one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.