Sign in with
Your question

Win Tom's screaming $10,000 PC!

Last response: in Components
August 14, 2006 4:14:47 AM

On September 26, 2006, Tom's Hardware Guide will celebrate its 10th Anniversary. To show our appreciation, the site is giving away a specially commissioned $10,000 PC from Falcon Northwest. From now, until the site's birthday, you can get take a stab at getting your hands on this screaming monster of technology.

Share your thoughts!

More about : win tom screaming 000

August 14, 2006 4:32:20 AM

It's amazing!!!! And gonna be mine!!! aeheauheaheauheauhe.. See ya folks!!!

BRUNO
August 14, 2006 4:32:46 AM

Awwwww nooooooooo US only
noooooooooooooooooo
Related resources
August 14, 2006 4:39:50 AM

Impressive system. I want it.
August 14, 2006 4:46:01 AM

Quote:
Awwwww nooooooooo US only
noooooooooooooooooo

Too right! They can come over here for our olympics, steal Nicole Kidman and Elle McPherson, and they don't even give us a fair go at the prize!

Unfair Koala Bear!
August 14, 2006 5:00:29 AM

It looks so SWEET!!! Cool thing is its gonna have Tomshardware 10th Anniversary on it so you can show it off. Geez I gotta stop drooling.
August 14, 2006 5:28:01 AM

:D  :D  :D  Finally something really nice to THG loyal fans! :D  :D  :D 

I just hope THG will give us all some info of the winner and his/her comments. If I win this then I'll give my SLi rig to my bro since his is only good for pong. :p  :D  :D  :D 
August 14, 2006 5:31:55 AM

That's just amazing.

I've been reading these forumz for a long time, but I think this is worthy of my first post.
August 14, 2006 5:33:58 AM

Quote:
That's just amazing.

I've been reading these forumz for a long time, but I think this is worthy of my first post.

You mean to say to finally registered to THG to join this sweepstakes?! :p  Who wouldn't!? :D  :D  :D 
August 14, 2006 5:37:28 AM

holy hell....i can only imagine if I win....ahhhhh mhhhmmmm

oops theres a mess here now
August 14, 2006 5:41:35 AM

So other than the $10,000 rig, what else are they giving away?
August 14, 2006 6:00:32 AM

WHY!?! Why is it always US only!?! I registered just to post this question...It can't be that hard to ship international. I'd even pay for the shipping myself if I won! :cry: 
August 14, 2006 6:03:13 AM

Well I'll thread you the puppy for a E6600. :p 

So Tom's is only giving a $10K? That's it? No other prizes? Like a 128Mb dimm or something? :(  So I guess there would only be one winner.
August 14, 2006 6:07:05 AM

I should win..... so I can sell it and buy a car.

Not really, I'd keep the damn thing and never upgrade for like 8 years.
August 14, 2006 6:12:24 AM

It's my girlfriend's chiwawa (not the one in the avatar) and it's very lazy and wants to be carried around the place. I'm trying to get rid of it, it's eating my shoes every time I go to work. If you win the $10K pc I'll trade you with this puppy and I will tell my girl that it's missing. :p 
August 14, 2006 6:20:03 AM

I thought it funny that on such an anti mac site that they are giving away a apple display. I mean, yeah, it is the best, and the most stylish, but i thought for certain it would be a 30" Dell. But yeah, I WANT IT. Why can't i be 18!!!!!

DDay
August 14, 2006 7:45:39 AM

I had to spend my saved money last month on a car because my '87 junker died. I was going to buy a pc, but this will do instead!

=d
August 14, 2006 9:24:34 AM

Bloody americans.... I WANT!!! :'(  Cant even get Falcon Northwest here...
Btw, is it just me or is it a Logitech Mx5000 wireless mouse + keyboard (with custom TH paint) in the picture? not the G5 and whatever else....
August 14, 2006 9:42:30 AM

Quote:
who ever wins has to post benches for everyone. 8)

Don't worry, I will.
August 14, 2006 9:50:03 AM

Quote:
I thought it funny that on such an anti mac site that they are giving away a apple display. I mean, yeah, it is the best, and the most stylish, but i thought for certain it would be a 30" Dell. But yeah, I WANT IT. Why can't i be 18!!!!!

DDay

Just sign your dad up instead. At least you're technically an american, and you have an american residence, unlike me. That thing is t3h s3x. If you win that DDay, you have to let me try it, and/or give me your opty rig and I can give my rig to my brother. We all feel sad that he's practicing for the nationals in starcraft on a 411 MHz computer. At least it has an agp slot, probably 1x though. Lol, it also has 3 ISA slots, which is even funnier.
August 14, 2006 10:37:34 AM

Ewwwwww Onboard Audio

I reiterate! Ewwwwww!

Other than that and the wireless speakers(God I hate wireless speakers), that's an incredible gaming rig, and I'm definitely entering to get it anyhow.(Who the hell has hyper-expensive speakers and *horrible...Fuzzy...Quirky* onboard audio instead of a soundcard? Really)
August 14, 2006 10:43:46 AM

Yeah I noticed that. There's should be sound card and better speakers, but hey $10,000 it is. It's perfect for me to win this since I got a nice sound card (X-Fi) and speakers (Klipsch). :D  I love Falcon PC eventhough I can't afford one I just visit their sites anyhow and drool. :( 
August 14, 2006 10:45:25 AM

I'd like to have those custom Klipsch-made Alienware 5.1 speakers myself...God those things were amazing.
August 14, 2006 10:47:29 AM

I just tried to enter this morning and got a message that I already voted. Something's wrong, this is the first time I tried to enter.
August 14, 2006 10:58:54 AM

This is dumb.. considering the fact that toms started in the UK, by a german - why the heck is this only available to the yanks... that's a real kick in the teeth ! Or are you planning a Quad SLI for us faithful europeans *wink* *wink* ;) 
August 14, 2006 11:07:31 AM

Pally...Hate to break that hope, but I'm pretty sure they've never done outside of the US. ;) 
August 14, 2006 11:41:08 AM

Quote:

You'd be seriously deficient if you didn't enter our $10,000 PC grand prize sweepstakes.

Hey, I'm not deficient, I just can't enter because I'm not a U.S. residential but a NL residential...
August 14, 2006 11:53:39 AM

NL what's that? Not Legal? No offense intended.
August 14, 2006 11:58:58 AM

Im gonna kill someboby at Toms, because all the contests are US only, they should get some "World Wide" or something!
August 14, 2006 12:07:49 PM

OH COME ON U.S. ONLY?!?! what about avid readers world wide?!?

can't they just join and pay for their own shipping?!?
August 14, 2006 12:10:21 PM

Quote:
NL what's that? Not Legal? No offense intended.

Netherlands :)  I didn't really knew if 'Netherlands residential' was correct English so I used the language code :) 
August 14, 2006 12:16:47 PM

Quote:
Too bad its only in USA. All contests are US only...

Yeah, all site contest are in USA nothing in Europe, although Tomshardware.com has a big HQ in Germany. :cry: 
August 14, 2006 12:45:23 PM

AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Hey!, what about all of your readers from the rest of the world??? Isn´t mr Papst from europe, or did he sell his soul to the US?

The great Dane
August 14, 2006 12:47:44 PM

Thanks Tom 4 donating 2 the Conroe fund!!!

I need to sell this, so that I can afford my E6600!!!

HA HA HAAAA!!!!
August 14, 2006 12:56:46 PM

You know why its U.S. only?? Cuz we're the ones trying to change the world while the rest of Europe sits on their lazy butts and criticizes others J/K... I hate Bush too...

I signed up for the computer, but there are some small things that worry me... Last time I checked Apple monitors are white... and they give you black keyboard and mouse... ugh... Not to mention 600W Modular PSU... is 600W enough... I'm kinda skeptical about that number... and no sound card as some people pointed out... but thats easy. If I win it, I'd probably buy an X-FI plat and put it in there, get a new SLI mobo once Nvidia comes out, and probably swap out the PSU with a better one, at least a 700W GameXStream or something...

Do we know anything about expandability, i.e. how many free 3.5" and 5.25" drive bays there are?

Man... I'm being so picky on a free computer that I'll probably never see... Time to shut up now =)
August 14, 2006 1:01:57 PM

Ok, Is it just me or are these specs a little weak for the 10K that's supposedly being spent. I mean...onboard audio? 600W power supply? Isn't a 600W cutting it kinda close considering it's quad SLI? I mean, that's ~500W in GPU consumption alone. I know the Core2 is energy efficient, but couldn't they have thrown in a PC-P+C 1KW at least? I guess the FNW 10,000K computer is a bit like a $5 milkshake...it's better because it's 10,000 dollars! As for all you non-americans out there, funny how something like this will really unite you. Don't worry, once you're all fully integrated as minions of our global empire I'm sure you'll be able to enter contests, well, maybe not. I'm kidding, don't hurt me.
August 14, 2006 1:08:12 PM

Dammit! I'm pissed off but I'm not surprised. Stupid america-hating canadians have made it difficult for U.S. companies to operate in Canada. I've seen a few companies stop shipping to Canada because people were not paying their duties. The sad thing is that the U.S. has been protecting the world, especially Canada for a long time. (Yet we hate them because of it.)

I'm still real pissed off though... :x
August 14, 2006 1:15:46 PM

Quote:
Dammit! I'm pissed off but I'm not surprised. Stupid america-hating canadians have made it difficult for U.S. companies to operate in Canada. I've seen a few companies stop shipping to Canada because people were not paying their duties. The sad thing is that the U.S. has been protecting the world, especially Canada for a long time. (Yet we hate them because of it.)

I'm still real pissed off though... :x

I hate US government (not its citizens) for very different reasons.......

The concept of ....other country.......seems not to be in the US dictionairy.......aswell as.....other culture........or........other people.....for that matter
August 14, 2006 1:17:20 PM

damn, only for you americans, stupid international gaming laws :( .

But ya that ob sound is supriseing considering the value of the pc. They should put the Auzeron Audio Explosion in that puppy then with DTS enabled speakers you could game in true DTS 5.1 :D 
August 14, 2006 1:33:03 PM

While this being us only sux. [I think it would of been reasonable to make it EU&US.]
I do think this isn't ultimate rig, too many trade offs made differently compared to what I would expect for a 10 000$ rig.
Double 3Ghz xeon woodcrest should of been the beginning.
Anyway chances of getting this rig are slim. Better spend time earning the money, and getting a rig that is really customed to your own needs.
August 14, 2006 1:40:05 PM

Mouth watering goodness. On a side note anyone notice that it's only a 600W PSU powering quad SLI. And where's the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD drive ;-)
August 14, 2006 1:40:43 PM

Amazing machine.

Real dim-witted decision to make this contest available to US residents only!!

Unfortunately, I guess this is one contest which will leave THG readers with a bitter taste, hardly the impression THG wants to shed by giving away 120K worth of machinery.

I thought THG was originally an european site, which makes this contest look even more insulting to their original followers...

Bah, on to anandtech....
August 14, 2006 1:57:10 PM

I am saddened that the contest is limited in the region. I wish Tom's would recognize it's North American brethren.

Good luck to all who enter.
August 14, 2006 1:57:28 PM

Here's another vote for being angry the prizes are for US residents only. They have been offering prizes for months for the 10th anniversary, and ALL of them have been US residents only.

Most of them were not THAT valuable, so I could live with it. But a prize like this... yeah, that's just a knife in the back. I'm in Canada, but I feel for those in Europe, where the website started to begin with! without them, it would have never made it to a North American audience!

Guess it's time for me to choose another website (anandtech maybe). This one does not recognize my readership as being valuable or worth recognizing. Typical American corporate BS.
August 14, 2006 2:07:35 PM

I too am in Canada, and i also think that this contest is a kick in the teeth to everyone of their loyal readers outside of the USA.

It actually is not that hard to include Canada, in North American Contests.
Especially when it comes to PC's as the prize as due to Free trade there is no duties on PC equipment.

I have bought PC Equipment from the USA online for years without having to pay any duties. Especially since all that hardware is available here in Canada already.

The only problem is that if they wanted their contest to be valid in all of canada, they would have to register with the province of Quebec.. so what most companies do to avoid this , is just put a disclamer saying not valid in the province of Quebec, And presto, your now ok to have your contest valid in Canada.

I personnaly am offended that they did not take the 5min to include Canada in this contest.

Another thing that they could do to get around legalities is to say that all persons who are not USA residents, must come and pick up their prize in person, in X number of days ( otherwise it goes to someone else). This is commonly done by other companies. I am sure that for this kind of prize many would be willing to do so

I offer that if i win i will personally fly down to the US and pick up my prize.

Given that the purpose of this contest was probably to thank your loyal readers ( who generate traffic , thus revenue for your company), instead you ended up Insulting all your readers situated outside the USA.

Wouldent be surprized if you start to loose traffic over this.
August 14, 2006 2:29:39 PM

OK, this is the milionth post complaining about the exact same thing, but it's a shame Europe gets kicked out by regulation.

See it from our point of view: "Here's a super duper computer, but you can't touch it, EVER!".

But what else is new for Europeans, right?

We pay American products (much) more than Americans do, then the rebate is not eligible, and so on.

Europeans are always second class customers.

I paid for the top of the line ATI video card, and their give away contests are also US and Canada only, and their site doesn't even have local versions, therefore they make sure everybody outside US and Canada knows they are being deliberately cast aside.

Do US companies even realize how crappy this PR is?
Leaving a bitter taste for "only" 50% of customers? (I'm not even talking about Russia or Asia here)

Maybe Europeans let themselves into this mess because regulations are different for every country, but it's about time global companies start making use of their authorised local retailers to inform and make global contests, because the Internet is just that: GLOBAL.

Hope US firms will start taking some actions, or some entrepeneur starts his company to perform real global contests.

Cheers,

PS: anyway, no worries, I still love TG and ATI and so on...
August 14, 2006 2:34:40 PM

I got the same message that I already voted too. I'm just gonna wait and try again tomorrow.

P.S. Hooray, USA!
August 14, 2006 2:35:17 PM

i completely agree, just do away with woodcrest and built a gaming rig around a 8 way opteron rig :D 
August 14, 2006 2:37:00 PM

Quote:
I got the same message that I already voted too. I'm just gonna wait and try again tomorrow.

P.S. Hooray, USA!

I'm guessing you are at work, cause I got the same message, but when I remote desktopped to my home machine, I entered fine there. It looks like they limit by IP, and someone at your workplace has already entered. Just wait till you get home, or if you have remote desktop set up, use that method.
    • 1 / 6
    • More pages
    • Next
    • Newest
!