Unauthenticated DNS clients

I'm setting up a new DNS server in Windows Server 2003. How do I configure
the service to allow clients that are NOT logging into the domain (or any
domain) to register their addresses and read from the service?

In news:ekdvewYeEHA.2352@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
jeff4379@news.postalias <jeff4379@news.postalias> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> I'm setting up a new DNS server in Windows Server 2003.
> How do I configure the service to allow clients that are
> NOT logging into the domain (or any domain) to register
> their addresses and read from the service?

In TCP/IP properties on the DNS tab, set the Primary DNS suffix or
Connection DNS suffix to the domain name of the zone you want them
registered in, then set the zone to allow non-secure updates.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

In news:ekdvewYeEHA.2352@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
jeff4379@news.postalias <jeff4379@news.postalias> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> I'm setting up a new DNS server in Windows Server 2003.
> How do I configure the service to allow clients that are
> NOT logging into the domain (or any domain) to register
> their addresses and read from the service?

In addition you have to point the client to the address of the DNS server it
is registering in.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

None of the clients are members of the domain. Right now all clients are
authenticating through Netware.

I have pointed a few test machines (winxp pro) to the two servers I have set
up for dns, neither can do lookups or register their IP addresses.

Jeff

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> In news:ekdvewYeEHA.2352@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> jeff4379@news.postalias <jeff4379@news.postalias> posted a question
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > I'm setting up a new DNS server in Windows Server 2003.
> > How do I configure the service to allow clients that are
> > NOT logging into the domain (or any domain) to register
> > their addresses and read from the service?
>
> In addition you have to point the client to the address of the DNS server
it
> is registering in.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ============================
> --
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
> newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
> issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
> email. ==========================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> It will strip signature out and more
> Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
> OEBackup:

Also, both DNS servers are set to secure and unsecure updates.

Is there a way that I can set access for the "Everyone" group (rather than
authenticated users group) so that they have access to dynamically update
DNS?

In news:%23tiWqAaeEHA.720@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
jeff4379@news.postalias <jeff4379@news.postalias> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> None of the clients are members of the domain. Right now
> all clients are authenticating through Netware.
>
> I have pointed a few test machines (winxp pro) to the two
> servers I have set up for dns, neither can do lookups or
> register their IP addresses.

They don't have to be a member of the domain to make a non-secure update.
But, Registers this connection's addresses in DNS must be selected and
either the Primary or Connection suffix must match the name of the zone you
want them registered in.
You might try running netdiag on those clients to check for DNS
registration. Netdiag is a command line tool in the server support tools on
the server CD or you can download an updated version from
http://download.microsoft.com.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for posting!

Personally, I agree with Kevin. If you want to accept the request from the
client which is not a domain member or is not authenticated by the Domain
Controller, you must make the DNS server to accept both Secure and
Non-secure update.

The below are some resouces about DNS and dynamic update in DNS. I hope
that they will be helpful for you.

816592 HOW TO: Configure DNS Dynamic Update in Windows 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=816592

305553 How to configure TCP/IP to use DNS in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305553

262188 DNS Dynamic Updates May Not Work
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=262188

228803 DHCP Dynamic Updates with DNS
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=228803

814331 Cannot Perform a Secure Dynamic Update
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=814331

How DNS Works
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/techre
f/en-us/
Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windowsServ/2003/all/techref/en-us/
w2k3tr_d
ns_how.asp

Changes to DNS in Windows Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/technologies/communications/dns/dns2003
asp

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: <jeff4379@news.postalias>
| Subject: Unauthenticated DNS clients
| Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 13:58:36 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns
|
| I'm setting up a new DNS server in Windows Server 2003. How do I
configure
| the service to allow clients that are NOT logging into the domain (or any
| domain) to register their addresses and read from the service?

I could have sworn that I had the zone set to Secure and Unsecure
updates...it was set to none.

Everything works just like it supposed to now.

Jeff

<jeff4379@news.postalias> wrote in message
> I'm setting up a new DNS server in Windows Server 2003. How do I
configure
> the service to allow clients that are NOT logging into the domain (or any
> domain) to register their addresses and read from the service?

Hi Jeff,

I am glad that everything works fine now.

Feel free to post your questions in the newsgroup in the future.