Linksys EG008W and SD2008 differences?

Last response: in Networking
July 20, 2004 9:57:20 PM

What are the differences between the LinkSys
EG008W and SD2008?

The boxes are different, but do the do products exist just
because LinkSys was takeover by Cisco, or are there network
functionality or other differences.

Both are 8 port 10/100/1000, auto speed sensing, auto crossover.

Does one run quieter than the other? If so, are there
any problems with overheating? (I have 3 EG008Ws, which are somewhat
noisy due to the fan.) (The User Guides say 18 Watts AC for each,
but the EG008W says 2 Amps at 12 V, the SD2008 says 1.5 Amps)

Does one run faster than the other?

Does one remember more addresses or whatever than the other?

Does one support jumbo frames?

Does anyone have these numbers for the SD2008 and EG008W:
Frame Filter Rate
Frame Forward Rate
Network Latency
Address Database Size
Queue Buffer?

I understand why a manufacturer won't want to give some
of the numbers, but Address Database Size and Queue Buffer
seem like they should be available.

The numbers would be comparable to those on page 7 of
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/gs108_install_guide.p...
for the Netgear GS108.
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING PAST THIS LINE
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 1:47:05 AM

Here are some answers to queries I posted on
Tuesday, 20 July 2004 17:57:20 GMT.

>What are the differences between the LinkSys
>EG008W and SD2008?
I bought a couple of the SD2008's and found the following information
that was obvious from the web site but which didn't sink in:
. an SD2008 is smaller than an EG008W
. an SD2008 does not indicate a link is running at 1000

I also found that they each make about the same amount
of noise - in other words, both models have fans.

I haven't been able to setup any benchmarks so I can't
comment on the performance yet.

>Both are 8 port 10/100/1000, auto speed sensing, auto crossover.

>Does one run quieter than the other?
No, as mentioned above.

> If so, are there any problems with overheating?
They each run a tad warm.

>Does one remember more addresses or whatever than the other?
>
>Does one support jumbo frames?
>
>Does anyone have these numbers for the SD2008 and EG008W:
> Frame Filter Rate
> Frame Forward Rate
> Network Latency
> Address Database Size
> Queue Buffer?
>
>The numbers would be comparable to those on page 7 of
> ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/gs108_install_guide.p...
>for the Netgear GS108.

One additional note:
. at least 3 different power supplies have been used with
the EG008W. I don't know if you can interchange them.
The three types of power supplies I have seem to work with
all of the EG008W's that I have, but there may be MTBF differences
or performance differences. (I always label the "bricks"
I get with an identifying number so I can be sure to use
each piece of equipment with the original power supply.)

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING PAST THIS LINE
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 1:02:46 PM

Mark Fineman Wrote:
> What are the differences between the LinkSys
> EG008W and SD2008?
> Does one support jumbo frames?
> Does anyone have these numbers for the SD2008 and EG008W:
> Frame Filter Rate
> Frame Forward Rate
> Network Latency
> Address Database Size
> Queue Buffer?
> Mark, I'm not sure about the EG008W since that is the old model, but I
bought a couple of SD2008 instead and I can tell you some information
regarding this switch.
- it's noisy with the standard fan, but that can be worked around
- fill-rate is awesome: line-rate to all ports simultaneously, no
matter the packets size. I've managed to reach 17.5 million pps using 6
ports.
- delay is 2.5 microseconds for small packets, increases for larger
packets (sounds logical)
- holds up to 4K MAC addresses
- does NOT support jumbo frames (bummer...)

I've written a short review here: http://soltesz.net/sd2008/part3.html
Internally, the main switch asic is a Broadcom 5388 (BCM5388). If you
look up the switch specs from the manufacturer's website, you'll find
more detailed info.

Cheers, Gaetan

--
gsoltesz