If I ping a host name using the -n parameter, and it resolves some addresses
to host names and not others - what is this an indication of?

All Win2k servers and workstations.

Thanks

sorry, meant that the other way around. ping -n address to host

In news:eViw0DweEHA.3028@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
JohnB <jbrigan@yahoo.com> made a post then I commented below
> If I ping a host name using the -n parameter, and it resolves some
> addresses to host names and not others - what is this an indication
> of?
>
> All Win2k servers and workstations.
>
> Thanks

Ping -n just tells it to ping "n" amount of times. Here's the break down:

C:\>ping -?

Usage: ping [-t] [-a] [-n count] [-l size] [-f] [-i TTL] [-v TOS]
[-r count] [-s count] [[-j host-list] | [-k host-list]]
[-w timeout] target_name

-t Ping the specified host until stopped.
To see statistics and continue - type Control-Break;
To stop - type Control-C.
-a Resolve addresses to hostnames.
-n count Number of echo requests to send.
-l size Send buffer size.
-f Set Don't Fragment flag in packet.
-i TTL Time To Live.
-v TOS Type Of Service.
-r count Record route for count hops.
-s count Timestamp for count hops.
-j host-list Loose source route along host-list.
-k host-list Strict source route along host-list.
-w timeout Timeout in milliseconds to wait for each reply.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

Sorry --- I meant ping -a

It resolves some addresses to host names but, not all.

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:e5wtgd1eEHA.3412@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

In news:%23xLTNP7eEHA.3632@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
JohnB <jbrigan@yahoo.com> made a post then I commented below
> Sorry --- I meant ping -a
>
> It resolves some addresses to host names but, not all.

Usually means there is no PTR record for it in the reverse zone, that is if
a reverse zone even exists for that specific subnet.

Ace

erdogduemlak

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
If this goes through it would be the best thing ever for Google.