Download, but not install, updates

Hi everybody,

I shall really appreciate if someone could post again the URL at MS Windows
Update where one could configure the process to download the available
updates to a local directory for late install.

I had it on my Favorites earlier but now cannot find the link again and my
advancing senility prevents me from remembering what it was :-)

Thanks a zillion.

PB
12 answers Last reply
More about download install updates

    Hi

    Which Updates are you looking for - SP1a or SP2?

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Pankaj Bhushan" <pankajbhushan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I shall really appreciate if someone could post again the URL at MS
    > Windows Update where one could configure the process to download the
    > available updates to a local directory for late install.
    >
    > I had it on my Favorites earlier but now cannot find the link again and my
    > advancing senility prevents me from remembering what it was :-)
    >
    > Thanks a zillion.
    >
    > PB

    Hi,

    SP2 actually. Sorry, somehow managed to omit that. :-)

    I remember that the way I had it before I could select the updates as usual
    but then could chose a local directory on my PC for downloading. They would
    then be downloaded exactly as the regular Update process but not be
    installed right away.

    PB

    > Hi
    >
    > Which Updates are you looking for - SP1a or SP2?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Pankaj Bhushan" <pankajbhushan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi everybody,
    >>
    >> I shall really appreciate if someone could post again the URL at MS
    >> Windows Update where one could configure the process to download the
    >> available updates to a local directory for late install.
    >>
    >> I had it on my Favorites earlier but now cannot find the link again and
    >> my advancing senility prevents me from remembering what it was :-)
    >>
    >> Thanks a zillion.
    >>
    >> PB

    Hi Will Denny,

    Thanks a lot for the responses. I just received a response sent directly to
    my email address (the sender, for some reason, could not post the reply to
    this NG).

    I am posting the URL here in case it might come in handy for someone else
    too:

    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

    I reinstated it into my Favorites and it works wonderfully. I first came
    upon it on these NGs about a year ago.

    Thanks again.

    PB

    > Hi
    >
    > Which Updates are you looking for - SP1a or SP2?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Pankaj Bhushan" <pankajbhushan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi everybody,
    >>
    >> I shall really appreciate if someone could post again the URL at MS
    >> Windows Update where one could configure the process to download the
    >> available updates to a local directory for late install.
    >>
    >> I had it on my Favorites earlier but now cannot find the link again and
    >> my advancing senility prevents me from remembering what it was :-)
    >>
    >> Thanks a zillion.
    >>
    >> PB

    Hi

    If you have SP2 installed, there have been two Updates available:

    "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1"
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a8f5654f-088e-40b2-bbdb-a83353618b38&displaylang=en

    "Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool"
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=71CD9E74-7142-4780-83E5-CE54401DA1D1&displaylang=en

    --

    > Hi,
    >
    > SP2 actually. Sorry, somehow managed to omit that. :-)
    >
    > I remember that the way I had it before I could select the updates as
    > usual
    > but then could chose a local directory on my PC for downloading. They
    > would
    > then be downloaded exactly as the regular Update process but not be
    > installed right away.
    >
    > PB

    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Which Updates are you looking for - SP1a or SP2?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Pankaj Bhushan" <pankajbhushan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi everybody,
    >>>
    >>> I shall really appreciate if someone could post again the URL at MS
    >>> Windows Update where one could configure the process to download the
    >>> available updates to a local directory for late install.
    >>>
    >>> I had it on my Favorites earlier but now cannot find the link again and
    >>> my advancing senility prevents me from remembering what it was :-)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks a zillion.
    >>>
    >>> PB

    This is what you may be looking for:

    "Toolkit to Temporarily Block Delivery of Windows XP SP2 to a PC Through
    Automatic Updates and Windows"
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8BCE6BBA-EA5D-4425-89C1-C1CB1CCD463C&displaylang=en

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Pankaj Bhushan" <pankajbhushan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > SP2 actually. Sorry, somehow managed to omit that. :-)
    >
    > I remember that the way I had it before I could select the updates as
    > usual
    > but then could chose a local directory on my PC for downloading. They
    > would
    > then be downloaded exactly as the regular Update process but not be
    > installed right away.
    >
    > PB

    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Which Updates are you looking for - SP1a or SP2?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Pankaj Bhushan" <pankajbhushan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi everybody,
    >>>
    >>> I shall really appreciate if someone could post again the URL at MS
    >>> Windows Update where one could configure the process to download the
    >>> available updates to a local directory for late install.
    >>>
    >>> I had it on my Favorites earlier but now cannot find the link again and
    >>> my advancing senility prevents me from remembering what it was :-)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks a zillion.
    >>>
    >>> PB

    Hi

    They're the Updates for SP1/1a - not SP2. You can't use that URL for SP2
    Updates.

    --

    > Hi Will Denny,
    >
    > Thanks a lot for the responses. I just received a response sent directly
    > to my email address (the sender, for some reason, could not post the reply
    > to this NG).
    >
    > I am posting the URL here in case it might come in handy for someone else
    > too:
    >
    > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp
    >
    > I reinstated it into my Favorites and it works wonderfully. I first came
    > upon it on these NGs about a year ago.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > PB

    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Which Updates are you looking for - SP1a or SP2?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Pankaj Bhushan" <pankajbhushan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi everybody,
    >>>
    >>> I shall really appreciate if someone could post again the URL at MS
    >>> Windows Update where one could configure the process to download the
    >>> available updates to a local directory for late install.
    >>>
    >>> I had it on my Favorites earlier but now cannot find the link again and
    >>> my advancing senility prevents me from remembering what it was :-)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks a zillion.
    >>>
    >>> PB

    Hi,

    By golly - you are right. That goes as far as showing the number of updates
    available and the download directory option. The option to chose the items
    is missing inbetween.

    May be I shall just download updates manually. Maybe some sleep would make
    my mind clearer!

    Thanks Will Denny for your informative helpful responses!

    PB
    ___

    > Hi
    >
    > They're the Updates for SP1/1a - not SP2. You can't use that URL for SP2
    > Updates.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Pankaj Bhushan" <pankajbhushan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Will Denny,
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot for the responses. I just received a response sent directly
    >> to my email address (the sender, for some reason, could not post the
    >>
    >> I am posting the URL here in case it might come in handy for someone else
    >> too:
    >>
    >> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp
    >>
    >> I reinstated it into my Favorites and it works wonderfully. I first came
    >> upon it on these NGs about a year ago.
    >>
    >> Thanks again.
    >>
    >> PB
    >>

    >> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Which Updates are you looking for - SP1a or SP2?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Will Denny
    >>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>>

    >>> "Pankaj Bhushan" <pankajbhushan@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Hi

    You would be asked to install an ActiveX control. I don't know what
    problems may occur if that was installed.

    --

    > Hi,
    >
    > By golly - you are right. That goes as far as showing the number of
    > updates available and the download directory option. The option to chose
    > the items is missing inbetween.
    >
    > May be I shall just download updates manually. Maybe some sleep would make
    > my mind clearer!
    >
    > Thanks Will Denny for your informative helpful responses!
    >
    > PB
    > ___

    >> Hi
    >>
    >> They're the Updates for SP1/1a - not SP2. You can't use that URL for SP2
    >> Updates.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Pankaj Bhushan" <pankajbhushan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Will Denny,
    >>>
    >>> Thanks a lot for the responses. I just received a response sent directly
    >>> to my email address (the sender, for some reason, could not post the
    >>>
    >>> I am posting the URL here in case it might come in handy for someone
    >>> else too:
    >>>
    >>> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp
    >>>
    >>> I reinstated it into my Favorites and it works wonderfully. I first came
    >>> upon it on these NGs about a year ago.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again.
    >>>
    >>> PB
    >>>

    >>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

    Instead of trying to remember these URLs, why not just turn on Automatic
    Windows Update and stay current. Alternatively, Start>All Programs> Windows
    Update.

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > You would be asked to install an ActiveX control. I don't know what
    > problems may occur if that was installed.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Pankaj Bhushan" <pankajbhushan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > By golly - you are right. That goes as far as showing the number of
    > > updates available and the download directory option. The option to chose
    > > the items is missing inbetween.
    > >
    > > May be I shall just download updates manually. Maybe some sleep would make
    > > my mind clearer!
    > >
    > > Thanks Will Denny for your informative helpful responses!
    > >
    > > PB
    > > ___
    > >

    > > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> They're the Updates for SP1/1a - not SP2. You can't use that URL for SP2
    > >> Updates.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Will Denny
    > >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > >> Please reply to the News Groups
    > >>

    > >> "Pankaj Bhushan" <pankajbhushan@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Will there are some for XP2 at the catalog site

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    > Hi
    >
    > They're the Updates for SP1/1a - not SP2. You can't use that URL for SP2
    > Updates.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Pankaj Bhushan" <pankajbhushan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Will Denny,
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot for the responses. I just received a response sent directly
    >> to my email address (the sender, for some reason, could not post the
    >>
    >> I am posting the URL here in case it might come in handy for someone else
    >> too:
    >>
    >> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp
    >>
    >> I reinstated it into my Favorites and it works wonderfully. I first came
    >> upon it on these NGs about a year ago.
    >>
    >> Thanks again.
    >>
    >> PB
    >>

    >> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Which Updates are you looking for - SP1a or SP2?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Will Denny
    >>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>>

    >>> "Pankaj Bhushan" <pankajbhushan@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Hi

    Some people don't want to install SP2 ATM. If AU is turned on, the download
    starts automatically, unless delayed by the user.

    --

    "Chuck Davis" <ChuckDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Instead of trying to remember these URLs, why not just turn on Automatic
    > Windows Update and stay current. Alternatively, Start>All Programs>
    > Windows
    > Update.
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> You would be asked to install an ActiveX control. I don't know what
    >> problems may occur if that was installed.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Pankaj Bhushan" <pankajbhushan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > By golly - you are right. That goes as far as showing the number of
    >> > updates available and the download directory option. The option to
    >> > chose
    >> > the items is missing inbetween.
    >> >
    >> > May be I shall just download updates manually. Maybe some sleep would
    >> > make
    >> > my mind clearer!
    >> >
    >> > Thanks Will Denny for your informative helpful responses!
    >> >
    >> > PB
    >> > ___
    >> >

    >> > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

    Hi,

    The reason for using the download option is for enabling manual updates of a
    couple of machines that do not have a direct connection to the Internet at
    present for the present.

    These downloads are also for a couple of laptops that have wireless Internet
    (not Wi-Fi) which is only about twice as fast as dial-up hence auto updates
    are not realistic.

    I understand that the download catalog utility exists solely for
    administrators who want to update computers manually for reasons that would
    perhaps include what I outlined here! :-)

    PB
    ----

    "Chuck Davis" <ChuckDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    : Instead of trying to remember these URLs, why not just turn on Automatic
    : Windows Update and stay current. Alternatively, Start>All Programs>
    Windows
    : Update.
    :
    : "Will Denny" wrote:
    :
    : > Hi
    : >
    : > You would be asked to install an ActiveX control. I don't know what
    : > problems may occur if that was installed.
    : >
    : > --
    : >
    : > Will Denny
    : > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    : > Please reply to the News Groups
    : >
    : >
    : > "Pankaj Bhushan" <pankajbhushan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    : > news:Zpvcd.5753$6k2.3097@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    : > > Hi,
    : > >
    : > > By golly - you are right. That goes as far as showing the number of
    : > > updates available and the download directory option. The option to
    chose
    : > > the items is missing inbetween.
    : > >
    : > > May be I shall just download updates manually. Maybe some sleep would
    make
    : > > my mind clearer!
    : > >
    : > > Thanks Will Denny for your informative helpful responses!
    : > >
    : > > PB
    : > > ___
    : > >
    : > >
    : > > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    : > > news:umD1V7CtEHA.2800@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    : > >> Hi
    : > >>
    : > >> They're the Updates for SP1/1a - not SP2. You can't use that URL for
    SP2
    : > >> Updates.
    : > >>
    : > >> --
    : > >>
    : > >> Will Denny
    : > >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    : > >> Please reply to the News Groups
    : > >>
    : > >>
    : > >> "Pankaj Bhushan" <pankajbhushan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    : > >> news:Ddrcd.6490$gy1.561@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    : > >>> Hi Will Denny,
    : > >>>
[...]
    : > >>>>
    : > >>>> Which Updates are you looking for - SP1a or SP2?
    : > >>>>
    : > >>>> --
    : > >>>>
    : > >>>> Will Denny
    : > >>>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    : > >>>> Please reply to the News Groups
    : > >>>>
    : > >>>>
    : > >>>> "Pankaj Bhushan" <pankajbhushan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    : > >>>> news:iIpcd.5682$6k2.3267@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
[...]