trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I have a TT big typhoon and I was wondering if it is possible to take teh backplate off if i wanted to RMA my mobo?

Thanks in advance.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I assume you didn’t stick the flat gasket to the double sided thicker gasket :(
In that case a hair dryer and a plastic wedge will do the trick.(butter knife if your impatient)
Good luck

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I assume you didn’t stick the flat gasket to the double sided thicker gasket :(
In that case a hair dryer and a plastic wedge will do the trick.(butter knife if your impatient)
Good luck

I think he did. Ouch. Use alcohol to peel it.

I was using the Tt Big Typhoon and good thing I read a review not to peel the backplate cushion and just use it as it is, so when the time comes to take it off it's easy to do so and still able to use the cushion again to another motherboard. I guess you didn't read that review or my review in Newegg. Oh well you can remove it with the alcohol and for a replacement cushoin just go to a hardware store and buy thin cushoins and if theres's no thin cushion avialable just get a regular thick ones and with a use of a sharp razor make it thin. And make sure to purchase the ones that are made of rubber material to prevent static damage.

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
kwalker: im not too sure what you mean, I did everything the instructions told me to do, so right now on the back, its the mobo stuck the the foam, stuck to a hard thin black piece of plastic (thsi is the gasket right?), and then that is stuck the the "H" metal piece

chuck: so I was not suppose to stick the foam to the mobo? 8O

I got some isopropyl(sp?) alcohol around if i really do need to return the board.

and also, since you two have a tt big typhoon, how much did you tighten the bolt? I used my fingers to hold the nut and then screwed it in but I haven't like killed myself with the screw driver to get the nut as far in as possible yet<== should i do that or will i cream my conroe onto the mobo?

weilin

Distinguished
well hte official answer is yes.. u were supposed to stick it to the board. But like the other posters said, they just left it alone and juse hte foam without peeling the packplate coushin. that way it can be easily removed. Ya live and learn i guess...

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
well im trying everything out now, but if all goes wrong, i just need to do a lil home improvement and make a piece of fom myself right? :D

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
actually everythign seems to be fine, im installing SP2 now

I just haven't tried to overclock yet but this baby is running smooth =). Only bad part is my BFG 7900 GT OC is kinda loud, wasted too much money on vantec stealth fans :?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
So you got it running now? Great. How's the performnace and show us some benchmarks if you don't mind. Anyways as for tightening that HSF, don't use your fingers you can't do it tight enough. You have to use a small wrench or plier and spend some time tightening that nut fasteners. Yeah I know it's a pain to install the Big Typhoo, but I think Thermaltake have the VX version now with the difference is easier to mount just like the stock fan. I don't know if you can buy the mount by itself though, have to check on that. Anyways make sure it's tight enough. I got mine to the point where the plate bended a little.

As for your 7900GT get some after-market cooler on that baby as well. I was using the Artic Cooling Silencer rev.3 for my 7800GTX and it's cools it very well and does it very quitely. It's the best after-market cooler, bad thing is it's pretty big and takes up more than 2 slots, so make sure you got some room. Now I got water cooling so my Silencer coolers have no more use. But I was very satisfied with it.

Show me some temps on your cpu too see if it's working right. :)

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
So you got it running now? Great. How's the performnace and show us some benchmarks if you don't mind. Anyways as for tightening that HSF, don't use your fingers you can't do it tight enough. You have to use a small wrench or plier and spend some time tightening that nut fasteners. Yeah I know it's a pain to install the Big Typhoo, but I think Thermaltake have the VX version now with the difference is easier to mount just like the stock fan. I don't know if you can buy the mount by itself though, have to check on that. Anyways make sure it's tight enough. I got mine to the point where the plate bended a little.

As for your 7900GT get some after-market cooler on that baby as well. I was using the Artic Cooling Silencer rev.3 for my 7800GTX and it's cools it very well and does it very quitely. It's the best after-market cooler, bad thing is it's pretty big and takes up more than 2 slots, so make sure you got some room. Now I got water cooling so my Silencer coolers have no more use. But I was very satisfied with it.

Show me some temps on your cpu too see if it's working right. :)

I would love to give you some benchies but i'm only sitting at 320FSB stable in Prime. Even though the mobo works, I am going to exchange it for another one. Now i have to take the foam off and I have isopropyl alcohol and one of my technician co-workers told me to just use heat and it should come off. I pray my next DS3 will hit 400.

Also, I am going to use styrofoam instead of foam(i actually cant find a piece of decent one, I was thinking maybe the foam that came with the mobo but co-worker said not to use anti-static foam), my co-worker said that it does not conduct and will be a strong backing for the HSF. Any opiions?

I cant get the ACSilencer here in canada, atleast not locally, i was thinking about getting the V700 coper from zalmans for $35 and they seem to be pretty good. It actually is a lot quieter now that I installed the driver and slows its RPM down when its not in use, even in 3Dmark06 it was not too loud but still i am getting an aftermarket soln.

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
update: I took it off last night, and it took me 1.5 hours. I used a blow dryer and heated it and started to wedge it with wooden clothespin and it was VERY HARD to take off. Luckily after working on one end of the H bracket, I had enough leverage to just peel the midddle and the other end right off or it would definitely been a 3 hour job.

NOTE: do not take shortcut that I did, I took an exacto kinife and cut the foam and i scrapped my board so now some of that blue coating on my DS3 is gone but the board is still perfectly fine. Just a warning to anyone still needing their mobo but want to take off the backplate.

NOTE #2: forget the hair dryer, because after peeling it off I used iso alcohol to clean it up and the adhesive was very easily taken off by it. So I suggest that next time if anyone was dumb enough like me to stick the foam on the mobo is to just soak the foam in iso alcohol and it should loosen up quite nicely.

Still looking for new foam, so anyone has any opinion on just plain white styrofoam? I was even thinking about a stack of lintless cloth (i used to work at an optical store). It just needs a material that wont burn at like 100C and is non-conductive right?

like the previous poster said " ya live and learn" >.<