DNS errors when attempting to join domain

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
August 6, 2004 10:28:07 AM

I am receiving a DNS error while trying to add more
workstations to my existing win2k domain. I have already
successfully added several new machines to the network,
but for some reason I cannot add anymore new machines to
the network. I am receiving a invalid domain name or
domain doesn't exist. It may be a DNS issue.
Please help. I have removed these workstations from DNS
and re-added them in, still doesn't work.
Any suggestions?
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 1:02:27 PM

In news:12fe01c47bb9$359463a0$a301280a@phx.gbl,
Abner <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> I am receiving a DNS error while trying to add more
> workstations to my existing win2k domain. I have already
> successfully added several new machines to the network,
> but for some reason I cannot add anymore new machines to
> the network. I am receiving a invalid domain name or
> domain doesn't exist. It may be a DNS issue.
> Please help. I have removed these workstations from DNS
> and re-added them in, still doesn't work.
> Any suggestions?

Are they using only the DNS address that has the AD zone?
No ISP's DNS allowed in TCP/IP properties.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

They are using the IP address of the AD zone. We are not
using ISP's etc. An internal network setup.
Any other suggestions, I am at a loss here...

August 6, 2004 5:04:09 PM

In news:141c01c47bca$9831fe80$a301280a@phx.gbl,
Abner <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> They are using the IP address of the AD zone. We are not
> using ISP's etc. An internal network setup.
> Any other suggestions, I am at a loss here...

Are you trying to join by DNS name or netbios name?
can you post an ipconfig /all please

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
with OEBackup:
August 6, 2004 7:07:40 PM

You may want to check that the IP address is set correctly on the clients.
Not sure if you are using static IP's or DHCp assigned. Either way this
would be a good place to start.

"Abner" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am receiving a DNS error while trying to add more
> workstations to my existing win2k domain. I have already
> successfully added several new machines to the network,
> but for some reason I cannot add anymore new machines to
> the network. I am receiving a invalid domain name or
> domain doesn't exist. It may be a DNS issue.
> Please help. I have removed these workstations from DNS
> and re-added them in, still doesn't work.
> Any suggestions?
August 6, 2004 7:07:41 PM

I have rechecked the IP address on the clients, they
match what I have in the DNS server.
ANy other suggestions???

!