it is being used by another person or program

October 17, 2004 3:09:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

When trying to delete a file, I get the "it is used" message.
I'm looking for a program that knows which is the program/user that holds a
specific file.
i.e. I wanna know which program holds the file c:\temp\x.y .

10x,
Janiv.

More about : person program

Anonymous
October 17, 2004 3:09:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Janiv,

Google on "process watcher", there are a ton of free utilities out there
that will do this for you.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Janiv Ratson" <janiv@aoe6.net> wrote in message
> When trying to delete a file, I get the "it is used" message.
> I'm looking for a program that knows which is the program/user that holds
> specific file.
> i.e. I wanna know which program holds the file c:\temp\x.y .
>
> 10x,
> Janiv.

Anonymous
November 2, 2004 6:18:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

help here ?

"Janiv Ratson" <janiv@aoe6.net> wrote in message
> When trying to delete a file, I get the "it is used" message.
> I'm looking for a program that knows which is the program/user that holds
> specific file.
> i.e. I wanna know which program holds the file c:\temp\x.y .
>
> 10x,
> Janiv.

November 2, 2004 6:18:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You will need a utility such as the one suggested.

> help here ?
>
> "Janiv Ratson" <janiv@aoe6.net> wrote in message
>> When trying to delete a file, I get the "it is used" message.
>> I'm looking for a program that knows which is the program/user that holds
>> specific file.
>> i.e. I wanna know which program holds the file c:\temp\x.y .
>>
>> 10x,
>> Janiv.

Anonymous
November 2, 2004 6:18:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Janiv Ratson" <janiv@aoe6.net> wrote in message
> help here ?

Perhaps something on this page will help:
http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Task~Process_Tools.htm

HTH
-pk

> "Janiv Ratson" <janiv@aoe6.net> wrote in message
> > When trying to delete a file, I get the "it is used" message.
> > I'm looking for a program that knows which is the program/user that
holds
> > specific file.
> > i.e. I wanna know which program holds the file c:\temp\x.y .
> >
> > 10x,
> > Janiv.

Anonymous
November 2, 2004 9:01:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

In news:u2ClBmCtEHA.1272@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Janiv Ratson <janiv@aoe6.net> did some thinking and came up with these
words:
> When trying to delete a file, I get the "it is used" message.
> I'm looking for a program that knows which is the program/user that
> holds a specific file.
> i.e. I wanna know which program holds the file c:\temp\x.y .
>
> 10x,
> Janiv.

This might be of some help - YMMV
http://www.dr-hoiby.com/WhoLockMe/index.php

--
Ron Bogart {} ô¿ô¬
Associate Expert

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi

Download Process Explorer from SysInternals (task manager on
steroids) and select "Find Handle..." under Find (or just use
the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+F). Fill in the file name.

http://www.sysinternals.com

Janiv Ratson wrote:

> help here ?
>
> "Janiv Ratson" <janiv@aoe6.net> wrote in message
>
>> When trying to delete a file, I get the "it is used" message.
>> I'm looking for a program that knows which is the program/user
>> that holds a specific file.
>>i.e. I wanna know which program holds the file c:\temp\x.y .

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
November 3, 2004 8:52:44 AM

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote
| You will need a utility such as the one suggested.
|
| "Janiv Ratson" <janiv@aoe6.net> wrote
| > help here ?
| >
| > "Janiv Ratson" <janiv@aoe6.net> wrote in message
| >> When trying to delete a file, I get the "it is used" message.
| >> I'm looking for a program that knows which is the program/user that holds
| >> a specific file.
| >> i.e. I wanna know which program holds the file c:\temp\x.y .
| >> Janiv.

What utility was suggested, and by whom was it suggested?
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 8:52:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

The first reply suggested that you Google for "process watcher." That's
looking for the utility. Did you do that? If not consider Process Explorer
8.x is on ZDNet under Downloads/Windows/Utilities, it if I remember it
correctly.

!