Western Digitial 320GB Hard Drive

Plextor PX-760/SW BL

I haven't figured out a major part yet and that is the MB:
P5WDH DELUXE/WIFI-AP
or
P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe
or
INSERT YOUR FAV BOARD HERE

I also would like some help on the look, the case I want is silver, but the drive I want is black, anyway around that besides getting another drive or case? Plextor offers two different fronts for the drive but they are black and white only. I guess I could do a custom job but what would be involved in it? One more uncertainty I have is the monitor. I would like a LCD but scared of the performance in games. I don't only play games, I also do lots of work on the computer so I would also want one that I wouldn't strain my eyes too much with long periods of use in a work environment.

One final bit of ramble I can add to this is if you got any suggestions or ideas please drop me a line.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
So far this is what I think I want:

E6600 Core 2 Duo Mfg Part No: BX80557E6600

Thermaltake Armor Jr.

XFX 7900GTX

Silverstone SST-ST56F 560W Power Supply

Cosair XMS2 2GB

Western Digitial 320GB Hard Drive

Plextor PX-760/SW BL

I haven't figured out a major part yet and that is the MB:
P5WDH DELUXE/WIFI-AP
or
P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe
or
INSERT YOUR FAV BOARD HERE

I also would like some help on the look, the case I want is silver, but the drive I want is black, anyway around that besides getting another drive or case? Plextor offers two different fronts for the drive but they are black and white only. I guess I could do a custom job but what would be involved in it? One more uncertainty I have is the monitor. I would like a LCD but scared of the performance in games. I don't only play games, I also do lots of work on the computer so I would also want one that I wouldn't strain my eyes too much with long periods of use in a work environment.

One final bit of ramble I can add to this is if you got any suggestions or ideas please drop me a line.

Nice build but I would make a few changes:

1) Do not for any reason ever buy from Tiger Direct. They are totally hellish and cause major problems. Newegg expects stockc on Core2 today.

2) With DX10 cards coming by the end of the year which will be better and required for the full Vista experience I find it hard to justify a 7900GTX. I would drop to a 7900GT or even a 7600GT and pick up the high end cards when DX10 cards hit the market.

3) RAM is great, abeit a little overkill for Core2. DDR2-667 memory works fine in this case.

4) SLI is a complete waste, I would with a non-SLI board, but I will let another poster make a board recomendation.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
You look like you have a pretty solid build. For your mobo choices, it depends on you. Are you going SLI? Then your limited to the SLI mobo. If not, then go for the P5W-DH Deluxe, since its probably the best conroe mobo out there.

I like the GameXStream a lot better than the silverstone, but thats probably personal preference. A 700W GameXStream would last you a nice long time.

More details on ram? How fast and what latency. If its the PC6400C5 or C4 then it should be fine.

Get a NEC burner, their's are probably better than most. But thats just small stuff.

Check Tom's guide for monitors, I think it was the Viewsonic VB922 or something that was a good buy... sorry, I'm not a monitor person...

SolaScriptura

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Reply to shadowduck:
Thx for the input I totally agree about Tiger Direct, not sure why I even used their link. Good point about the DX10 cards never really thought about it like that, I was thinking more of using a SLI board albeit it's not nforce 590 chipset but nonetheless I was thinking I would be ok down the road with just getting another vid card. But you've changed my mind thx.

Reply to Doughbuy:
I was leaning towards the Silverstone only because of the efficiency rating that tomshardware gave it, but 700w sure does sound like it will have a longer life. I will look into the PS some more. I've seen some good reviews about NEC burners but as you said it is a small thing, the only problem I have is matching those kinds of components with the case. I'll keep researching the monitor and look into the Viewsonic VB922.

2) With DX10 cards coming by the end of the year which will be better and required for the full Vista experience I find it hard to justify a 7900GTX. I would drop to a 7900GT or even a 7600GT and pick up the high end cards when DX10 cards hit the market.

4) SLI is a complete waste, I would with a non-SLI board, but I will let another poster make a board recomendation.

I agree here, especially on the DX 10 idea. For a mobo, I would go for something like a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3.