X2 4800 Production stopped when? End of Year?

x1900xtcooler

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
HI, I did a search on this subject and have not gotten a clear answere for myself. Do you guys know if these will still be available say around Nov, or Dec?

I wanted to put off the dual core upgrade as long as I can. Right now I have a Sandiego 4000+ running at 2.9ghz and im pretty darn happy with it. All I really do is game on my PC.

x1900xtcooler

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I wouldn't wait too long. Prices will probably increase as supplies get low, especially on the toledo (2x1Mb cache) core processors.

See thats what I was afraid might happen. Right now I can get the X2 4800 from newegg for $307.00 which I think is a great price. I am going to sell my Xbox 360 on ebay and use the $$$ to cover it.

You mean to say you DONT like the xbox360.
How could you! Evil microsoft hater.

WHy on earth would a new AM2 x2 4800 be discontinued this year????

Im confused... Have they said what is replacing it?

moab11

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
The AM2 X2 4800+ are already discontinued, and you'd have to pull off a miracle to find one still.

I had a reputable shop looking for the last 2 weeks trying to find me one, and all of their suppliers were out and couldn't get any more.

They are now trying to find me a 4400+ or a 5000+, hopefully one of those will show up.

Jeff

x1900xtcooler

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
The AM2 X2 4800+ are already discontinued, and you'd have to pull off a miracle to find one still.

I had a reputable shop looking for the last 2 weeks trying to find me one, and all of their suppliers were out and couldn't get any more.

They are now trying to find me a 4400+ or a 5000+, hopefully one of those will show up.

Jeff

I wonder why in the world the AM2 X2 4800 would be discontinued before the S939 X2 4800??? :?

x1900xtcooler

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
You mean to say you DONT like the xbox360.
How could you! Evil microsoft hater.

Nah its not that I hate the Xbox 360. Its actually a cool little system but consoles just are not for me, I'd rather put my $$$ into my gaming rig PC 8)

weilin

Distinguished
whats wrong with it? nothing... it just has 2x 1mb L2 Cache.. and AMD wants to shift all 1mb cache production to their Opteron Line. So all processors with 2x1mb caches will be discontinued with nothing to replace it in the near future.

weilin

Distinguished
ya u got that right.. too good for the average consumer (enthusiasts included). The truth comes down to the money. AMD makes much more money off a Opteron than they do off a Athlon x2. And since they are essentially the same chip.. which would you rather make? i rest my case.

weilin

Distinguished
the only problem im having is the discontinuation of pratically ALL Sempron cpus (and Athlon 64s) for the socket 754... that was my budget board lifeline... u cant beat 40 bucks a cpu.... What will replace it? They r essentially killing socket 754.. (and the lowest model socket 939s too but thats a totally different complaint..) But they are keeping Socket A semprons?.... I dont wanna go AM2 for everything, DDR2 ram is just too expensive especially for tight timings...