Sign in with
Your question

Problem with first build!

Last response: in Systems
August 14, 2006 1:44:53 PM

I recently put together my first build. Everything was going fine up until I tried to turn it on. Whenever I would push the power button it would come on but after about 2-3 sec it would shut right back off. I tried removing various components to try and get it to work. After that didnt work I decided to check the wiring for the power to make it didnt have any damage that may cause it to do this. I noticed that that my 24 pin connector from the psu had the hole for the 24th pin but the 24th pin was not there, neither was the wire for it. Could this be causing my problem?
Any help anyone can offer will be appreciated.

Thanks
T_Bone

More about : problem build

August 14, 2006 4:36:14 PM

Quote:
I recently put together my first build. Everything was going fine up until I tried to turn it on. Whenever I would push the power button it would come on but after about 2-3 sec it would shut right back off. I tried removing various components to try and get it to work. After that didnt work I decided to check the wiring for the power to make it didnt have any damage that may cause it to do this. I noticed that that my 24 pin connector from the psu had the hole for the 24th pin but the 24th pin was not there, neither was the wire for it. Could this be causing my problem?
Any help anyone can offer will be appreciated.

Thanks
T_Bone

<rant> WHEN YOU NEED HELP POST INFORMATION ON YOUR BUILD OR DO NOT EXPECT HELP FROM POSTERS</rant>

That was aimed at all posters, not just you, but please follow the advice.
August 14, 2006 5:14:11 PM

Sorry! My fault.

PSU: Antec Truepower2 550W
MOBO: Asus M2N-SLI sAM2
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 3800 sAM2
RAM: Cosair XMS2 DDR2 800 (2x1GB)
Graphics: Evga 7900GT
Related resources
August 14, 2006 5:56:43 PM

Are there any audible bees when you system powers on for the brief mount of time?

We've all been here at some point, I would try to start fresh and rebuild the system. With no beeps on the system means somewhere the board is shorting out. Whether it's at the power supply or on the main board itself. You say you've tried other various configurations of the components, like what? Single sick of ram? No Sata or opti devices connected? Re seat the CPU? You may need to RAM the board PSU at some point if you have no luck.
August 14, 2006 6:49:02 PM

No beeps.

I have tried it with one stick of ram, with nothing hooked up besides the power, with only the fans hookedup, and that is pretty much it. I think I will try reseating the cpu and probably an entire rebuild.
Could the PSU be bad?
August 14, 2006 7:18:32 PM

Could be, but the only way to know is to test. You should be able to test your power supply in any system just to verify, so thats easy. Once the reliability of that product is established, then you have the motherboard and cpu looking at you. Bad RAM would behave differently (unless there is an incompatibility or voltage issue). Since the CPU is more mobile than the mobo, you could try taking it to a shop and having them seat and test it, better than playing the guessing game. I've read many posters here have done it for a small fee, cheaper than restocking I suppose.
August 15, 2006 1:33:43 AM

Quote:
...I noticed that that my 24 pin connector from the psu had the hole for the 24th pin but the 24th pin was not there, neither was the wire for it. ...

Could you post a photo of this? It sounds very strange.
August 15, 2006 5:07:36 PM

It turns out that it was a bad mobo. Thanks for the help.

T_Bone
!