Intel Core2 Duo (Conroe).....OEM or retail box?

ric-rivers

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Hello everyone. I am searching for an e6600. I was told by microcenter that the only processors that they had in stock were the first-run OEM core2s. Now my questions is should I wait on them to get the "next batch" as the associate called it, or would I be safe going with the first? Also, would OEM or retail boxed be the way to go? Im new so be gentle!

AODBOB

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
And you don't get the awesome Intel HSF!

*Don't miss the sarcasim*

But seriously now: I am waiting for the non-OEMs because of the warrenty thing. Thats why I did not purchase from Tiger Direct or any other store that was only selling OEMs.

ric-rivers

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
I want to thank you all for the advice. I will go with the boxed version for sure. Also, I was wondering if anyone had an actual arrival date for these processors. Microcenter said August 7 but that obviously didn't happen. Someone said that the 16th they should arrive. Any ideas?

AODBOB

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
When I called ZipZoomFly they told me the 20th, but as we know things don't always work out as planned. I am patient, so I can wait a lil while for it. I did the whole "back in stock notification" thing where they email you when it's back in stock so I will just wait for that...

If you find somewhere that has it in stock and doesn't charge a ridiculous amount (I'm looking at you newegg) then plz to share!

prozac26: True, but not as good as a lot of aftermarket HSFs. The Intel cooler is much better than nothing, but if you plan to overclock it then it has to go. If you don't plan to overclock it then it should suffice, unless your case has horrid air flow or you plan on running it full load 24/7.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I want to thank you all for the advice. I will go with the boxed version for sure. Also, I was wondering if anyone had an actual arrival date for these processors. Microcenter said August 7 but that obviously didn't happen. Someone said that the 16th they should arrive. Any ideas?

Online or in store? The stores have had small quantities (as has Fry's) with shipment arrival dates varying by store (for example the Tustin,CA Microscenter store expects a shipment today). I picked up a e6600 at Fry's (stores while ahving less quantities are having FAR less demand; the Fry's had 5 in stock saterday morning which I figured would be gone, went in Sunday and they still ahd one). Most online stores are expecting shipments the 16th.

jeffreyhsieh99

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2003
It's correct that Retail provides far better warranty vs OEM. But ever since there is an IBM PC, I did replace hard drives and other components for PCs a few times, but I don't recall replacing a CPU. Note that most of the RAM has life time warranty. CPU has, from my point of view, similar structure - all electronics. Unlike hard drive which has mechanical components, CPU and memory seldom fail, unless you OC like crazy.

Depend on how much more it costs, I don't think warranty worths the money if you already decided to use third party HSF. Of course, it's like insurance. If you want to pay to get peace of mind, it's up to you.