DYNDNS and domains?

Hello,

I am trying a dyndns.org account for the first time - and using a
Windows 2000 computer.

I setup a url - and tried to access it. It immediately comes up with
a login and password - I assume that is my account info. But then
comes up a domain.

What is my domain - where would I find that out.

I assume by going to the set URL - I could access my computer - the
drives I share? Or is there more to it than that? Examples? I did
not find answers on the FAQ.

And what about security - how safe is this service?

Thanks,

Crs

Corso wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying a dyndns.org account for the first time - and using a
> Windows 2000 computer.
>
> I setup a url - and tried to access it. It immediately comes up with
> a login and password - I assume that is my account info. But then
> comes up a domain.

Not sure what you mean. What are you trying to use dyndns for? They have a
lot of services -

> What is my domain - where would I find that out.
>
> I assume by going to the set URL - I could access my computer - the
> drives I share?

Not unless you also have VPN or VNC or PCAnywhere or something. Win2k
doesn't have remote desktop.

> Or is there more to it than that? Examples? I did
> not find answers on the FAQ.
>
> And what about security - how safe is this service?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Crs

In news:3d6e3b51.0408092357.7c278276@posting.google.com,
Corso <corso@post.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying a dyndns.org account for the first time - and
> using a Windows 2000 computer.

Win2k Pro? Keep in mind IIS in Win2k pro is limited to 10 concurrent
connections, each file or image on a webpage is considered a connection so
you have to be carefull about overloading your page with graphics, it
wouldn't be hard to exceed the 10 connection limit.

> I setup a url - and tried to access it. It immediately
> comes up with a login and password - I assume that is my
> account info. But then comes up a domain.
>
> What is my domain - where would I find that out.

I think the way Dydns.org works is user name is part of your URL like
username.dydns.org, so if you resolve username.dydns.org it will resolve to
the public IP of your router or computer. If you want to host a Website on
your computer with a domain name like example.com you just point example.com
to username.dydns.org with an alias record, the same goes for
www.example.com the www record will have to be an alias for
username.dydns.org.
If your computer is behind an NAT device you computer will have a private IP
address and you will not be able to access it by name locally unless you set
up a local DNS server or if you add the name to your hosts file with your
computers IP address. And you'll also have to map ports like 80 for a
website from the NAT device to the IP of your computer.

> I assume by going to the set URL - I could access my
> computer - the drives I share? Or is there more to it
> than that? Examples? I did not find answers on the FAQ.

It would be possible to access your file shares, if you have Client for MS
Networks and file sharing enabled on the external interface (or modem) and
you don't have a firewall to protect it.

> And what about security - how safe is this service?

The service is safe, it is up to you to secure your computer from
unauthorized access attempts. The first step you should make is to disable
guest account and other well known accounts like Administrator. Also don't
give the IUSR account access to anything but websites and FTP sites and
never give these accounts write access to anything but files in websites
like guestbook logs and hit counter logs. And certainly never give the IUSR
account write access in an FTP site.
The way I handle FTP is to allow only anonymous access to an FTP site in
IIS. That way there nobody can discover your password and do damage.

I've been using Wingate for quite a few years a few years back they added a
reporting firewall, at $75 for a three user license it makes an excellent
firewall for the price. Even if you have a router, it is an excellent value
to add because it a hacker gets past the router they still have to get past
the firewall in Wingate. I read an analogy the other day that make perfect
sense security is like onions, it comes in layers. The more layers the more
secure.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]