totally screwed up :/

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

OK! Back to the drawing board. We have:

- An internal network with clients that log on to an win2k-server dhcp,
let's call it mainframe. We also have exchange server on this computer.
- A firewall.
- A webserver that's in the dmz, let's call it webserver.

The trafic goes through the firewall on one wire to the webbserver in the
dmz, and on another wire to the rest of the net (where the mainframe is).

The problem (as I described it yesterday) is that we can't use the full
domain name from the clients *inside*the firewall, ie not use
www.domain.com, and we want that. Kevin D helped me out yesterday by
suggesting that we created a www.domain.com -zone with the ip to the
webserver. That worked great but what I didn't know was that the mainframe
(where I pulled this trick) acts as the primary DNS-server so now all the
nameservers on the Internet points to an internal adress that doesn't
work...

The thing is that the guy who set this EXCELLENT sollution up is long gone,
and I ain't good at it, but that's how it is.

It *seems* like AD is used, and it seems like the webbserver acts as an
secondary DNS (I don't know the use of that because we have a DNS from our
ISP as well) but any ideas of how to get things rolling?

/e

Eric wrote:
> OK! Back to the drawing board. We have:
>
> - An internal network with clients that log on to an win2k-server
> dhcp, let's call it mainframe. We also have exchange server on this
> computer.
> - A firewall.
> - A webserver that's in the dmz, let's call it webserver.
>
> The trafic goes through the firewall on one wire to the webbserver in
> the dmz, and on another wire to the rest of the net (where the
> mainframe is).
>
> The problem (as I described it yesterday) is that we can't use the
> full domain name from the clients *inside*the firewall, ie not use
> www.domain.com, and we want that. Kevin D helped me out yesterday by
> suggesting that we created a www.domain.com -zone with the ip to the
> webserver. That worked great but what I didn't know was that the
> mainframe (where I pulled this trick) acts as the primary DNS-server
> so now all the nameservers on the Internet points to an internal
> adress that doesn't work...

Well, that won't work. Are you hosting your domain's public DNS in house?
Not a good idea unless you have a separate DNS server for it - do not use
your AD DNS as your public DNS. Generally best for small shops to leave
their public DNS outsourced - ISPs generally do this, or you can pay someone
else, or find a free service.

> The thing is that the guy who set this EXCELLENT sollution up is long
> gone, and I ain't good at it, but that's how it is.
>
> It *seems* like AD is used, and it seems like the webbserver acts as
> an secondary DNS (I don't know the use of that because we have a DNS
> from our ISP as well) but any ideas of how to get things rolling?

If you have a Win2k domain, you have AD. What's your internet domain name,
if you don't mind my asking?

The solution is to have two DNS servers, as I said - one for inside, one for
outside. For the AD DNS, remember that all servers and workstations should
specify *only* the internal AD-integrated DNS server's IP address in their
network settings. The AD-integrated DNS server should be set up with
forwarders to your ISP's DNS servers for external resolution. See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202 for more
info.

> /e

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

ok, we changed some pointers in the firewall and now it seems to be working.
thanks for everyone's help, really appreciating it!

/e

In news:%239XkfxEgEHA.2908@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Eric <eric@hotmail.com> made a post then I commented below
> ok, we changed some pointers in the firewall and now it seems to be
> working. thanks for everyone's help, really appreciating it!
>
> /e

Eric,

This is the same post in the windows.server.dns newsgroup. You responded
with the same answer. Too bad you didn't cross-post the original post, it
would have been beneficial for colaboration.

btw - Can you tell us what the outcome was?

Ace