Sign in with
Your question

Please, help me with a powersupply and motherboard issue.

Last response: in Components
August 14, 2006 3:25:06 PM

I am experiencing a problem with my computer.

Antec SmartPower 2.0 350w power supply
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard

Both of these components were working fine until yesterday, now the computer is unresponsive to the power button. With the power cable plugged in, and the switch on the power supply on, the small green LED on the motherboard is illuminated, but there is no other response from the system. The powersupply fan does not spin, and I cannot get the computer to power on.

How can I determine what the problem is? I do not have another power supply or motherboard to test with.

Does this sound like a powersupply problem or motherboard problem?

Thanks

JT
August 14, 2006 4:17:30 PM

Your Powersupply fan not spinning points to a Power problem.
Also, if you unplug the power supply and plug it back in..some power supply fans spin for just a sec. indication that powersupply is working.
just my 2 cents.
Related resources
August 14, 2006 4:21:58 PM

Thanks for the info.

I was suspicious when I saw the green light on the motherboard, and no response to the power button, I spent quite a bit of time deciding on a motherboard, and I hope that it isn't the problem.

I think I may go pick up an Enermax 500w Liberty PS to swap out the antec and see if that makes a difference.
August 15, 2006 9:31:57 PM

So, power supply was munged. Bought an enermax liberty 500w and just like that it started up. At the same time I bought an Antec P180b case to install it all in.

When I had the motherboard out I also tested the antec PSU with the motherboard and same problem (so not just shorting on the case).

Now just to RMA the PSU with Antec...

Thanks again.
August 15, 2006 11:13:58 PM

glad it all worked out! :) 
!