Changing name of DNS servers...

Mike

Splendid

How would I go about renaming my dns servers (ex: from ns1.domainxyz.com to
ns1.domainabc.com) with the least amount of problems?
Thanks in advance-

In news:uodYBv6fEHA.3676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Mike <mikey117@hotmail.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> How would I go about renaming my dns servers (ex: from
> ns1.domainxyz.com to ns1.domainabc.com) with the least
> amount of problems?
> Thanks in advance-

There is no problem what so ever as long as you are not renaming the
machine, and the zone aren't active Directory. You can make a DNS server
think it is any name by just creating a glue record for it.

In your example create a zone named "ns1.domainabc.com" Then in the zone
create one new host, leave the name field blank give it the IP you want to
use for "ns1.domainabc.com" and click OK. Win2k will bark at you and say
"(same as parent folder) is not a valid host name" click OK to create the
record anyway. (Win2k3 stopped popping the message because it really is a
valid host name)

After this is done you can create an NS record type ns1.domainabc.com in the
name field and click resolve, and it will.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

"Mike" <mikey117@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How would I go about renaming my dns servers (ex: from ns1.domainxyz.com
> ns1.domainabc.com) with the least amount of problems?
> Thanks in advance-

If it is JUST a DNS server it is no big deal as clients
and other servers address it by address (IP address that is.)

Just add the new records in, make sure they replicate to all
DNS servers and then remove the old A + NS records.

You will have far more fun changing the machine name in
Windows. (Not that hard unless it is a DC, but it usually
does require a reboot.)

--
Herb Martin

Mike

Splendid

> "Mike" <mikey117@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > How would I go about renaming my dns servers (ex: from ns1.domainxyz.com
> > ns1.domainabc.com) with the least amount of problems?
> > Thanks in advance-
>
> If it is JUST a DNS server it is no big deal as clients
> and other servers address it by address (IP address that is.)
>
> Just add the new records in, make sure they replicate to all
> DNS servers and then remove the old A + NS records.
>
> You will have far more fun changing the machine name in
> Windows. (Not that hard unless it is a DC, but it usually
> does require a reboot.)
>
> --
> Herb Martin

Basically, all records, etc., should remain the same. I just want it to
match my new domain name.

You can even leave the old name and just add the new.

Remember the "Computer name" and it's Domain name
in the System Control panel -- that is the place that counts
the most for a domain machine.

--
Herb Martin