Help! Looking for Docs for SynOptics LattisHub 2803

Nelson

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.sys.bay-networks,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

Google turns up a bunch of links to Bay Networks which are out of date.
Nortel bought them out but apparently didn't transfer the docs to
their support web site.

--

Nelson wrote:
> Google turns up a bunch of links to Bay Networks which are out of date.
> Nortel bought them out but apparently didn't transfer the docs to
> their support web site.

At Nortel website, under "Support | Technical Documentation"
Under Manufacture discontinued, System 2000 Ethernet Hubs...
See if this answer your questions.
From what I can remember, 2803 was quite simple box, a hub, no mgmt on
it, could be cascaded to others 2803 or 2813. Not much else..

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.sys.nortel,comp.dcom.sys.bay-networks,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

The 2803, by itself, is a dumb unmanaged Ethernet repeater
and no documentation will shed any light on feature/function.

It was the optional second unit that could expand a 2813 hub.
The 2813 documentation is on the Nortel site as follows

www.nortelnetworks.com -> Support -> Manufacture Discontinued
-> System 2000 Ethernet Hubs: Documentation

------------------------
From: Nelson <nelson@nowhere.com>
Subject: Help! Looking for Docs for SynOptics LattisHub 2803
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 04:30:31 -0400
Location: news://news.houston.sbcglobal.net/comp.dcom.lans.ethernet/0001HW.BD24F3670039EF500833A560@news-60.giganews.com
To: "comp.dcom.sys.bay-networks" <@news:comp.dcom.sys.bay-networks@news.houston.sbcglobal.net>, "comp.dcom.lans.ethernet" <@news:comp.dcom.lans.ethernet@news.houston.sbcglobal.net>, "comp.dcom.sys.nortel" <@news:comp.dcom.sys.nortel@news.houston.sbcglobal.net>

Google turns up a bunch of links to Bay Networks which are out of date.
Nortel bought them out but apparently didn't transfer the docs to
their support web site.

--
Nelson

/*
Paul Tichy Houston 281-260-4849
Southwest District Achitect, Switching Solutions
Nortel Networks
*/

Nelson

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.sys.bay-networks,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:33:03 -0400, Julio Arruda wrote
(in article <cdomif$q8g$1@zcars0v6.ca.nortel.com>):

> Nelson wrote:
>> Google turns up a bunch of links to Bay Networks which are out of date.
>> Nortel bought them out but apparently didn't transfer the docs to
>> their support web site.
>>

> At Nortel website, under "Support | Technical Documentation"
> Under Manufacture discontinued, System 2000 Ethernet Hubs...
> See if this answer your questions.
> From what I can remember, 2803 was quite simple box, a hub, no mgmt on
> it, could be cascaded to others 2803 or 2813. Not much else..

Thanks, Julio. I was looking under the "Bay Networks" branded stuff.
Since the thing has a port labled "Terminal Port", I was assuming there
was some way to interact with it, set it up, manage it, or whatever :)

--
Nelson

Nelson

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.sys.nortel,comp.dcom.sys.bay-networks,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:55:55 -0400, Paul Tichy wrote
(in article <Forum.1090547751.28260.ptichy@paul933>):

> The 2803, by itself, is a dumb unmanaged Ethernet repeater
> and no documentation will shed any light on feature/function.
>
> It was the optional second unit that could expand a 2813 hub.
> The 2813 documentation is on the Nortel site as follows
>
> www.nortelnetworks.com -> Support -> Manufacture Discontinued
> -> System 2000 Ethernet Hubs: Documentation

Thanks, Paul. I guess I was looking in the wrong place, ie under the
"Bay Networks" brand. I have D/L the S2000 docs and will take a look
at them. It is curious that the box has a DB-9 port labeled "Terminal
Port" if it is indeed so dumb :)

<@news:comp.dcom.sys.nortel@news.houston.sbcglobal.net>

--

Nelson wrote:

> Google turns up a bunch of links to Bay Networks which are out of date.
> Nortel bought them out but apparently didn't transfer the docs to
> their support web site.
>
> --
> Nelson

According to my now-ancient Training Guide for 28XX Hubs, the 2803
does have local mgmt by way of an RS-232 port on rear of unit. It
says to use an ASCII terminal, straight-thru cable from a PC Com
port, set for 9600bps, 8 data, no parity, 1 stop, no flow control.

"Local hub mgmt provides local config control and status for a
standalone 2803 Hub"

--reed

Nelson

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.sys.bay-networks,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 17:22:14 -0400, Reed wrote
(in article <4102D35B.316F5F48@rmi.net>):

> Nelson wrote:
>>
>> Google turns up a bunch of links to Bay Networks which are out of date.
>> Nortel bought them out but apparently didn't transfer the docs to
>> their support web site.
>>
>> --
>> Nelson
>
> According to my now-ancient Training Guide for 28XX Hubs, the 2803
> does have local mgmt by way of an RS-232 port on rear of unit. It
> says to use an ASCII terminal, straight-thru cable from a PC Com
> port, set for 9600bps, 8 data, no parity, 1 stop, no flow control.

> "Local hub mgmt provides local config control and status for a
> standalone 2803 Hub"
>
> --reed

Thanks, Reed. Yes, I noticed the DB-9 Terminal port. Any clue as to
the commands and responses one can get?

--
Nelson

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.sys.nortel,comp.dcom.sys.bay-networks,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

In article <0001HW.BD2811080005A9B104B5EC60@news-60.giganews.com>,
nelson@nowhere.com says...

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:55:55 -0400, Paul Tichy wrote
> (in article <Forum.1090547751.28260.ptichy@paul933>):
>
> > The 2803, by itself, is a dumb unmanaged Ethernet repeater
> > and no documentation will shed any light on feature/function.
> >
> > It was the optional second unit that could expand a 2813 hub.
> > The 2813 documentation is on the Nortel site as follows
> >
> > www.nortelnetworks.com -> Support -> Manufacture Discontinued
> > -> System 2000 Ethernet Hubs: Documentation
>
> Thanks, Paul. I guess I was looking in the wrong place, ie under the
> "Bay Networks" brand. I have D/L the S2000 docs and will take a look
> at them. It is curious that the box has a DB-9 port labeled "Terminal
> Port" if it is indeed so dumb :)

Speaking from personal experience (as in I used to use one): The
2813 isn't completely 'dumb,' though it's no switch. The menus
accessible through the console port give one the ability to partition
ports, check statistics, etc. You can also give the hub its own IP
address, as I recall (though what purpose this might serve, other than
for, maybe, SNMP management, I have no idea).

Happy hunting.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.sys.nortel,comp.dcom.sys.bay-networks,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

We weren't talking about the intelligent 2813/14, but rather
the unmanaged 2803/4.

------------------------
From: "Dr. Anton T. Squeegee" <SpammersArePondScum@dev.null>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 07:54:23 -0700
Location: news://news.houston.sbcglobal.net/comp.dcom.sys.bay-networks/MPG.1b6d697d9bdd469598976c@192.168.42.131
To: "comp.dcom.sys.nortel" <@news:comp.dcom.sys.nortel@news.houston.sbcglobal.net>, "comp.dcom.sys.bay-networks" <@news:comp.dcom.sys.bay-networks@news.houston.sbcglobal.net>, "comp.dcom.lans.ethernet" <@news:comp.dcom.lans.ethernet@news.houston.sbcglobal.net>

Nelson wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 17:22:14 -0400, Reed wrote
> (in article <4102D35B.316F5F48@rmi.net>):
>
> > Nelson wrote:
> >>
> >> Google turns up a bunch of links to Bay Networks which are out of date.
> >> Nortel bought them out but apparently didn't transfer the docs to
> >> their support web site.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Nelson
> >
> > According to my now-ancient Training Guide for 28XX Hubs, the 2803
> > does have local mgmt by way of an RS-232 port on rear of unit. It
> > says to use an ASCII terminal, straight-thru cable from a PC Com
> > port, set for 9600bps, 8 data, no parity, 1 stop, no flow control.

> > "Local hub mgmt provides local config control and status for a
> > standalone 2803 Hub"
> >
> > --reed
>
> Thanks, Reed. Yes, I noticed the DB-9 Terminal port. Any clue as to
> the commands and responses one can get?
>
> --
> Nelson

Event Occurred, per port, for Link Status, Inv Polarity,
Partition, Collision, Late Coll., Jabber, Auto Partition. (only
shows event occured or not; no counts, etc)

Control Options to Enable/Partition port, Enable/Disable Auto
Polarity Detect, Enable/Disable Rcv Link Test, Reset (unit ?)

--reed

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.sys.nortel,comp.dcom.sys.bay-networks,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

In article <Forum.1090772269.21098.ptichy@paul933>, ptichy@sbcglobal.net
says...

Top-posting corrected. Please don't top-post. This is why.

http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost

> ------------------------
> From: "Dr. Anton T. Squeegee" <SpammersArePondScum@dev.null>
> Subject: Re: Help! Looking for Docs for SynOptics LattisHub 2803
> Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 07:54:23 -0700
> Location: news://news.houston.sbcglobal.net/comp.dcom.sys.bay-networks/MPG.1b6d697d9bdd469598976c@192.168.42.131
> To: "comp.dcom.sys.nortel" <@news:comp.dcom.sys.nortel@news.houston.sbcglobal.net>, "comp.dcom.sys.bay-networks" <@news:comp.dcom.sys.bay-networks@news.houston.sbcglobal.net>, "comp.dcom.lans.ethernet" <@news:comp.dcom.lans.ethernet@news.houston.sbcglobal.net>
>

> In article <0001HW.BD2811080005A9B104B5EC60@news-60.giganews.com>,
> nelson@nowhere.com says...
>
> > On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:55:55 -0400, Paul Tichy wrote
> > (in article <Forum.1090547751.28260.ptichy@paul933>):
> >
> > > The 2803, by itself, is a dumb unmanaged Ethernet repeater
> > > and no documentation will shed any light on feature/function.
> > >
> > > It was the optional second unit that could expand a 2813 hub.
> > > The 2813 documentation is on the Nortel site as follows
> > >
> > > www.nortelnetworks.com -> Support -> Manufacture Discontinued
> > > -> System 2000 Ethernet Hubs: Documentation
> >
> > Thanks, Paul. I guess I was looking in the wrong place, ie under the
> > "Bay Networks" brand. I have D/L the S2000 docs and will take a look
> > at them. It is curious that the box has a DB-9 port labeled "Terminal
> > Port" if it is indeed so dumb :)
>
> Speaking from personal experience (as in I used to use one): The
> 2813 isn't completely 'dumb,' though it's no switch. The menus
> accessible through the console port give one the ability to partition
> ports, check statistics, etc. You can also give the hub its own IP
> address, as I recall (though what purpose this might serve, other than
> for, maybe, SNMP management, I have no idea).
>
> Happy hunting.

> We weren't talking about the intelligent 2813/14, but rather
> the unmanaged 2803/4.

That's as may be. However, my contention is that if something has
a console port built in it was meant to be used for such.

I will add this much: What has the original poster got to lose
simply by hooking up a terminal, or a PC running a terminal emulator,
and futzing with the interface? ;-)

Keep the peace(es).