BIG DNS Problems

AC

I have a exch 2003 server running on a 2000 server SP4 all
patches.

I installed a second DC in the network but noticed things
were working strangely when my IWAM account could not
connect to a web server. I decided to remove the AD on
the second server but continue to get DNS errors.

The funny thing is that I can get full DNS resolution from
my DNS servers. When I try to remove DNS it fails stating
that it can't find SERVERNAME$ which to me sounds like a
SYSVOL error.

I had made some rights changes to the NTFS file system on
the first domain controller. Could that be affecting the
current DC.

Any help would be much appreciated.

In news:494b01c47ff9$df5c7820$a401280a@phx.gbl,
ac <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
> I have a exch 2003 server running on a 2000 server SP4 all
> patches.
>
> I installed a second DC in the network but noticed things
> were working strangely when my IWAM account could not
> connect to a web server. I decided to remove the AD on
> the second server but continue to get DNS errors.
>
> The funny thing is that I can get full DNS resolution from
> my DNS servers. When I try to remove DNS it fails stating
> that it can't find SERVERNAME$ which to me sounds like a
> SYSVOL error.
>
> I had made some rights changes to the NTFS file system on
> the first domain controller. Could that be affecting the
> current DC.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

Without resorting to guessing, appreciate it if we could see an unedited
ipconfig /all of your DC, that could shed some light on it for us, or at
least a start. Also, what errors are in the Event logs?

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

AC

Ace

I am not at the machine right now to give you an IPCONFIG
but I am getting SAM errors. I believe the Everyone group
was removed from the root of C on the forest root domain
controller. so i promoted another DC and it let the
promotion go through but it when i go to AD users and
computers on the second DC there is no domain.

I believe what has happened is that there is a problem
with the replication from the sysvol of the forest root to
the sysvol of the other domain controllers. I cannot
figure out how to re-establish the connection. when I try
to establish a connector in Sites and Services no
replication takes place.

ac

newsgroups
>so all can benefit.
>
>This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or
guarantees
>and confers no rights.
>
>Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I,
MCT, MVP
>Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory
Services