ReVamped

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Hello there. I'm getting ready to build my first rig (AM2). I spent a good deal of money considering the fact that I don't have a job yet. Recently I went to a computer show and bought a 30 dollar Suntec PC case. I saw a working PC with that case so I thought it would be alright. It also has 2 rear 80mm fan grills and a front 120mm grill. The problem I have is that two of the brass standoffs do not go in all the way. I screw them down but they tend to get stuck and get tightened. I was wondering if this would pose a problem to my new rig.

By the way, this is my first post at Tomshardware even though I have been a recent visitor for the past four months. :)

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
um, if they get stuck its alright, pull them out.

the mobo will be fine on the rest of the stand off's but if there is movement it could touch the case and short, but usually that just restarts ur PC.

bottom line. if the mobo goes in and is secure then it shouldnt be an issue.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Like pengwin said, if it is secure, then it is good.

But if you really want all the standoffs to be there, just use some pliers or even a socket wrench. That should rethread the hole if you do it straight down and should enable use of those standoffs.

Unless you are talking about the screws that go into the standoffs, in which case you could either get shorter screws or new standoffs. If this is the case, there are likely burrs inside the threads on the inside of the standoffs and it'll be harder than anything to use them properly. Make sure you are using the proper threads on your screws though. I had a similar problem and I was really putting a lot of force on the screws. Luckily I had the tools to get them out again and get proper screws and standoffs.

Bottom line: Don't break anything. That will make you hate yourself for some time. No harm will come to your computer if you can't get all the standoffs in. Just make sure your mobo is properly supported in all four corners and you will do great.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
You mean the brass standoffs don't screw in all the way such that they are not all the way tight against the backplane of the case? They are sticking up higher than the other brass stand offs? If that is true, yes, it will cause a problem. Take a pair of pliers and screw them in further.

I would partially agree with the others, and say it's OK to not use all the stand offs, BUT, I would want to be sure to have them under parts of the board that will take the most abuse during the life of the machine. Like, for example, close the memory slots and the expansion slots. You want support under those areas, and if you can't use stand offs, then use plastic supports of some sort.

sailer

Splendid
This probably means they are cross threaded. As Pengwin wrote, taking them out and leaving them out probably won't hurt anything, as long as the motherboard is secure and doesn't wiggle.

ReVamped

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Yeah Pain. Two of them are sticking up higher. I'll try and find a socket wrench or pliers in my dad's toolbox. Thanks for all the replies.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Just remember to make sure it goes in straight.

The holes should rethread themselves due to the fact that brass is harder than steel and aluminum. Hopefully you don't have any more problems with it and it is a great case for you for some time.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Righto. Just try to get them down in farther without breaking them off. Chances are good they wouldn't break off before you stripped out the backplane, which isn't a problem either.

Sometimes if I have an issue where I can't use a stand off, I will take a plastic support thingie (you know what I mean, I hope), the kind that plugs into the motheboard and slids into a slot on the backplane, and then I will cut the little knob that would normally fit into the slot of the backplane. So, what you end up with is a plastic support that is attached to the motherboard but is just hanging lose. When you put the board in place, the plastic thingie [technical term] then creates support under the board so it will not flex when inserting cards or memory sticks. In other words, it just takes up the space between the board and the backplane and prevents the board from flexing.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
Here's what I'd do:

1) get some nylon slugs cut from a solid rod.
2) drill out the middle
3) Screw the slug to the motherboard moutning plate from the BACK.
4) Screw the motherboard to the slug, or simply rest it there.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I knew someone would call me on that. I guess I should have corrected myself and edited that out, but oh well. Just so you know, I meant in this sort of a situation, where it is sheetmetal and easily bent compared to the brass screw that is going into it. Sorry for the poor description. I apologise if I led anyone astray.