Anyone else get keys not responding sometimes?

Sometimes, now matter how many times I press the jump key, it doesn't.
Restart the game and it might (but not always).
Seems that only the movements keys and the mouse buttons works without
trouble.
8 answers Last reply
More about anyone keys responding sometimes

    > Sometimes, now matter how many times I press the jump key, it doesn't.
    > Restart the game and it might (but not always).
    > Seems that only the movements keys and the mouse buttons works without
    > trouble.

    Is it cold and dry where you live? Winter is especially bad for computers,
    as static shocks are much more common. Sometimes I'll realize that the
    keyboard is not working at all. Unplugging the keyboard and plugging it
    back in usually clears it up. (A pain, but better than quitting and
    restarting the game.)

    (Doesn't happen here, of course, currently living in Florida...)

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:12:52 -0000, "Henchman:crg"
    <colin.girling@coloursolutions.co.uk> wrote:

    >Sometimes, now matter how many times I press the jump key, it doesn't.
    >Restart the game and it might (but not always).
    >Seems that only the movements keys and the mouse buttons works without
    >trouble.

    Playing Morrowind as well as some other games are rough on some
    keyboard keys, you may have simply wore out the jump key on your
    keyboard. If so, replacing your keyboard with a new cheap 5 - 10
    dollar keyboard might be a simple solution to your problem. Through
    the years I've had to replace so many keyboards and mice due to my
    heavy fingered game playing, that I make sure that I've ALWAYS got 1
    or 2 spare keyboards (bought on sale) and Mouse replacements just
    incase I may need them...

    That's my 2¢,

    FTA

    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:45:51 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
    wrote:

    >> Sometimes, now matter how many times I press the jump key, it doesn't.
    >> Restart the game and it might (but not always).
    >> Seems that only the movements keys and the mouse buttons works without
    >> trouble.
    >
    >Is it cold and dry where you live? Winter is especially bad for computers,
    >as static shocks are much more common. Sometimes I'll realize that the
    >keyboard is not working at all. Unplugging the keyboard and plugging it
    >back in usually clears it up. (A pain, but better than quitting and
    >restarting the game.)
    >
    >(Doesn't happen here, of course, currently living in Florida...)

    I live in Tampa FL, however I've had to replace quite a few keyboards
    through the years due to my heavy fingered game playing. ^_^

    FTA wrote:

    > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:12:52 -0000, "Henchman:crg"
    > <colin.girling@coloursolutions.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>Sometimes, now matter how many times I press the jump key, it doesn't.
    >>Restart the game and it might (but not always).
    >>Seems that only the movements keys and the mouse buttons works without
    >>trouble.
    >>

    > Playing Morrowind as well as some other games are rough on some
    > keyboard keys, you may have simply wore out the jump key on your
    > keyboard. If so, replacing your keyboard with a new cheap 5 - 10
    > dollar keyboard might be a simple solution to your problem. Through
    > the years I've had to replace so many keyboards and mice due to my
    > heavy fingered game playing, that I make sure that I've ALWAYS got 1
    > or 2 spare keyboards (bought on sale) and Mouse replacements just
    > incase I may need them...

    I found that the IBM keyboards (hard to find now) can handle the abuse
    and I love the touch on them. I originally learned to type on a manual
    and then a Selectric so I am used to the feel. They are much more
    expensive (I think I spent around $50 each) but I haven't replaced one
    in 10 years so I think the investment paid off.
    In regards to the OP I think the problem is the system is too busy at
    the moment and ignores the keystrokes. I hate hitting a key in combat
    and the game ignores me. I know the keyboard is not the problem as I
    have no problems in other programs.

    > That's my 2¢,
    >
    > FTA
    >

    > "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
    >
    > -Martin Luther King Jr.

    Actually, I use the same keys for Call of Duty, and have no problems jumping
    there.
    Only seems to do it with Morrowind.

    "Henchman:crg" <colin.girling@coloursolutions.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Sometimes, now matter how many times I press the jump key, it doesn't.
    > Restart the game and it might (but not always).
    > Seems that only the movements keys and the mouse buttons works without
    > trouble.

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:25:53 GMT, "Michael W. Ryder"
    <mwryder@_worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    >I found that the IBM keyboards (hard to find now) can handle the abuse
    >and I love the touch on them. I originally learned to type on a manual
    >and then a Selectric so I am used to the feel. They are much more
    >expensive (I think I spent around $50 each) but I haven't replaced one
    >in 10 years so I think the investment paid off.

    I'm a one fingered typer that tends to be fairly heavy fingered when
    pressing on some frequently used game keys. I doubt that even an
    Original IBM keyboard would survive more than 2 or 3 years of me
    pounding on just a few of its keys. So to save myself some
    frustration and time, I make sure that I've always got at least one
    spare keyboard (usually bought on sale for around $5) and mouse
    replacements handy in case I may need them...

    >In regards to the OP I think the problem is the system is too busy at
    >the moment and ignores the keystrokes. I hate hitting a key in combat
    >and the game ignores me. I know the keyboard is not the problem as I
    >have no problems in other programs.

    If nothing else, having a spare keyboard on hand makes it easier to
    discover if a game problem is with your Keyboard or your Game. And
    since spare keyboards are as cheap as $5 each, they're well worth the
    frustration they can save.

    That's my 2¢,

    FTA

    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

    There is a known bug associated with sound settings in Morrowind that can
    cause this behaviour.

    If you have your sound slider all of the way down (music turned off)
    adjust it so that the slider is just slightly above the bottom and that
    should fix the problem.

    thanks

    "Nigedo" <nigedo@whirlingschool.net> wrote in message
    > There is a known bug associated with sound settings in Morrowind that can
    > cause this behaviour.
    >
    > If you have your sound slider all of the way down (music turned off)
    > adjust it so that the slider is just slightly above the bottom and that
    > should fix the problem.

Games Video Games