mobo for core 2 duo (yea, another one of these threads)

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
You may recall that anandtech.com article on the core 2 duo motherboards a while ago. I've since learned that anandtech leaves certain info out of their articles so my question is this...

Are there any other boards you would recommend that were NOT included in the article? I would like to overclock my E6600 to 3.2-3.4 ghz on air and would rather not spend over $200 for a mobo (as much as I like the P5W deluxe). I am not interested in x-fire or sli so do not need to wait for the nvidia 590 board (unless there are other reasons for this aside from SLI). I just want something that is very stable and overclocks well.

I bought the OCZ DDR2 800 platinum memory for overclocking.

I'd prefer a 975x chipset so I don't need to be concerned with the 965 chipset issues with the IDE controllers (for my optical drives).

Thanks so much!

Eddie

DaCarez

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Under $200 and 975X kind of crimps your choices a bit, I'd look into the MSI 975X board, the DFI Infinity, and the Foxconn. With regard to the nF590 and other future boards, the 590 doesn't look like such an incredible star right now on either OC or performance, at least as shown by the reference board previews; retail could be a whole other story. However, what looks interesting is the RD600, with its async memory and FSB clocks and 90nm process.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I guess your asking for a lot... The Abit AB9 and the GA-965-DS3 are good... but they're 965 chipsets... but they do overclock well and are stable... can't have your cake and eat it too...

ElBurro

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
You want a board with a 975X chipset, and why wouldn't you? They totally kick ass with an E6600. With any Core 2 Duo.

But you've got the holy grail chip. Not too pricey with the 4MB of cache and a whole lot of headroom to overclock like a mofo.

You've got fast RAM, right? I'm assuming you'll get a strong PSU like Seasonic,. Fotron Source, PC Power and Cooling etc... lots of watts.

Now you want to save a measly 50 bucks on one of the most important pieces?

GET A GRIP, MAN!!!

Get the Intel Bad Axe and you will have one scary fast rig. The creamy goodness of two cores and NASA calling you up wanting to buy computer time on your rig.

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
If I'm gonna get the pricey mobo I'd get the Asus P5W deluxe. I can find it for about $240...but no one has it in stock right now.
<sigh>