Sign in with
Your question

Conroe standard HSF, erratic fan behaviour.

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 14, 2006 6:17:12 PM

Ahh, the sweet taste of victory. Technology 0, me 1! Yes, my new PC is finally working lovely. Not a single error, Prime95 crash or anything. Woot.

Ok, the question is. This CPU fan. It erm, rapidly changes speed, constantly. That wouldn't be an issue except a lot of the time, the fan is not moving at all. It runs down to minimal, stops, starts at 1000rpm, slows, slows, slows some more, stops, starts, stops. This is with the temperature around 25C on the core. Also it's very rapid.

When maxing out one core, it rises to around 700-800rpm and is constant, maybe 1000rpm with both cores. But basically, I'd like to know if it is damaging the fan, switching on and off so much and if there is a way to manually set the speed so it never goes below a certain level? Would an aftermarket cooler be a better option for keeping control over the fan?

All this new technology is starting to make me quite neurotic :?
August 14, 2006 6:54:01 PM

Hi Icandy:

Sounds like your Fan Speed control is not setup correctly. This is usually handled by the boards Bios unless you are using another program in windows that allows this low level control.

Please see if your particular motherboard has a newer Bios and you can check the manufacturer of the board to see if they have any Faq's about this issue.

My understanding is that the standard Intel heatsink has its own thermal diod in it and it will try to control the fan speed at a certain base level. But since you say the fan spins all the way down then the motherboard is actually turning the power to the fan off completely.

This would indicate that the board Fan speed control is messed up.

Hope this spreads some light on what is happening with your board.
August 14, 2006 6:59:33 PM

Quote:
Ahh, the sweet taste of victory. Technology 0, me 1! Yes, my new PC is finally working lovely. Not a single error, Prime95 crash or anything. Woot.

Ok, the question is. This CPU fan. It erm, rapidly changes speed, constantly. That wouldn't be an issue except a lot of the time, the fan is not moving at all. It runs down to minimal, stops, starts at 1000rpm, slows, slows, slows some more, stops, starts, stops. This is with the temperature around 25C on the core. Also it's very rapid.

When maxing out one core, it rises to around 700-800rpm and is constant, maybe 1000rpm with both cores. But basically, I'd like to know if it is damaging the fan, switching on and off so much and if there is a way to manually set the speed so it never goes below a certain level? Would an aftermarket cooler be a better option for keeping control over the fan?

All this new technology is starting to make me quite neurotic :?

The fan is fine, its just throttling. Spooling up and down will take a few hours off its life, but nothing significant.

As for why its spooling, its the thermal control. Its OK, but if it annoys you, you can place the fan connector on one of the chassis fan headers, assuming its a 3 pin connector.
August 14, 2006 7:06:15 PM

I checked the manufacturers website. And they no longer seem to be listing anything for P965 boards!!! I'm starting to have this conversation in the Gigabyte forum as well - no access to CIA MIB or SMART FAN control through Easy Tune 5. Also Sisoft says there is no thermal monitoring software installed...

turpit it's a 4 pin connector. There doesn't seem to be anywhere else for it to go. It's starting to sound a tiny bit like a squeeky gate as it spools up and down (as you put it). I'm starting to regret going with Gigabyte. :evil: 
August 14, 2006 7:14:44 PM

Quote:
I checked the manufacturers website. And they no longer seem to be listing anything for P965 boards!!! I'm starting to have this conversation in the Gigabyte forum as well - no access to CIA MIB or SMART FAN control through Easy Tune 5. Also Sisoft says there is no thermal monitoring software installed...

turpit it's a 4 pin connector. There doesn't seem to be anywhere else for it to go. It's starting to sound a tiny bit like a squeeky gate as it spools up and down (as you put it). I'm starting to regret going with Gigabyte. :evil: 

Sorry, Im not familiar with th Gigabyte boards. Someone else will be able to help you with that though, Im sure. On the pin connector, if its the 4 pin, as I recall, you might be able to offset it on one of the chassis fan 3 pin headers. Personally, I wouldnt, but I tend to be conservative.

Sorry I couldnt be of any help

Peace
August 14, 2006 7:18:42 PM

Just run two instances of Folding @ Home, it'll keep both cores at full load so your fan won't have any reason to throttle.
August 14, 2006 7:29:05 PM

lol well, I haven't sorted the dissapearing P965 support for Gigabyte, but I did solve the problem. After trying to get several of their "products" to install, and failing horribly with massive errors, I went back to the CD provided programs. In the bios I changed the fan control method (nervously) from Auto to some intel based method.

After saving the new information to the bios, it threw up a horrible looking error message that was gone before I could read it (WARNING was a part of it Im sure). I was quite worried but now the fan is at idle, running at 825rpm constantly, with CPU temp's going below 20C at idle, reaching as low as 15. This is good, but Gigabyte is bad, the board still terribly mistaking the memory for something else, setting CAS settings high, and voltages low. Most of the software does not work and the website is no help! :roll:

*sigh* thanks once again THG forum users, it looks like I will be back again when this board is a pain in the backside and the manufacturer is supportless.

Edit: the entire website is back as it was. Either I'm hallusinating or there's something really funny going on here. A break is needed, after installing bios version F3.
!