Secondary Zone Disappears

I have 2 Win2K domains in the same forest. Domain A is in Mixed Mode with AD
integrated DNS, Domain B is Native with AD integrated DNS. Each domain has a
secondary forward lookup zone defined in DNS to the other domain.
My problem is that the secondary zone in Domain B disappears. I can't seem
to figure out why but the only way to get it back is to re-add the zone. I
does disappear whenever the server is rebooted but it also disappears without
a reboot.

I am having a similar problem, see my post Scaventing and Aging. Is the
Primary zone still there when the secondary disappears?

"MorganNetMgr" <MorganNetMgr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have 2 Win2K domains in the same forest. Domain A is in Mixed Mode with
AD
> integrated DNS, Domain B is Native with AD integrated DNS. Each domain has
> secondary forward lookup zone defined in DNS to the other domain.
> My problem is that the secondary zone in Domain B disappears. I can't seem
> to figure out why but the only way to get it back is to re-add the zone. I
> does disappear whenever the server is rebooted but it also disappears
without
> a reboot.

Yes the primary is still there only the secondary disappears

"MorganNetMgr" wrote:

> Yes the primary is still there only the secondary disappears

Is the "Primary" Active Directory integrated?

If it is then just delete the secondary zone, and let the AD zone replicate.

Regards,
Kevin

Yes the Primary is AD integrated.
I take it from your reply that if I have two domains with AD integrated DNS
in the same forest that I do not need secondary zones defined at all. Is this
true?
If so and I have secondarys defined will it prevent the AD intergrated
primaries from seeing each other?

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr." wrote:

> "MorganNetMgr" wrote:
>
> > Yes the primary is still there only the secondary disappears
>
> Is the "Primary" Active Directory integrated?
>
> If it is then just delete the secondary zone, and let the AD zone replicate.
>
> Regards,
> Kevin

In news:1A648431-4B0A-46DD-A1A0-CA327C30B6ED@microsoft.com,
MorganNetMgr <MorganNetMgr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Yes the Primary is AD integrated.
> I take it from your reply that if I have two domains with
> AD integrated DNS in the same forest that I do not need
> secondary zones defined at all. Is this true?

No I guess I misunderstood, not in Win2k. Win2k ADI zones only replicate to
Win2k DCs for the same domain, Win2k3 added forest wide replication. If the
zone is secondary and it is disappearing then you should verify that there
is not a copy of the zone in AD. Go to AD Users & Computers expand the
System folder, Open the MicrosoftDNS folder, if there is an object with the
name of the Secondary, delete it. Then try to recreate the secondary zone.

> If so and I have secondarys defined will it prevent the
> AD intergrated primaries from seeing each other?

I don't get what you are asking here, zones don't see each other. While it
is possible to store the zone for the other domain in AD, it will not be
replicated between the domains. Each one will be a zone of its own and will
be replicated to other DCs within that same domain.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

"MorganNetMgr" <MorganNetMgr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes the Primary is AD integrated.
> I take it from your reply that if I have two domains with AD integrated
DNS
> in the same forest that I do not need secondary zones defined at all. Is
this
> true?
> If so and I have secondarys defined will it prevent the AD intergrated
> primaries from seeing each other?
>

> "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr." wrote:
>

> > "MorganNetMgr" wrote:
> >
> > > Yes the primary is still there only the secondary disappears
> >
> > Is the "Primary" Active Directory integrated?
> >
> > If it is then just delete the secondary zone, and let the AD zone
replicate.

> > Regards,
> > Kevin

In news:1A648431-4B0A-46DD-A1A0-CA327C30B6ED@microsoft.com,
MorganNetMgr <MorganNetMgr@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I
commented below
> Yes the Primary is AD integrated.
> I take it from your reply that if I have two domains with AD
> integrated DNS in the same forest that I do not need secondary zones
> defined at all. Is this true?
> If so and I have secondarys defined will it prevent the AD intergrated
> primaries from seeing each other?

Curious, what are the two domain names?

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

The domain names are
MorganCorp.net
MorganOlson.net
They are in the same Win2K forest, not in a parent/child setup.

In news:48FE9041-B203-45C0-97F8-DCE855C394AD@microsoft.com,
MorganNetMgr <MorganNetMgr@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I
commented below
> The domain names are
> MorganCorp.net
> MorganOlson.net
> They are in the same Win2K forest, not in a parent/child setup.

So they are two trees in the same forest? Going back to your original post,
each client set are using only their respective DNS in their domain and your
secondary zone of morgancorp.net that you created in morganolson.net is
disappearing? Strange, and I do not *think* that mode would make a
difference here. AD integrated zones wouldn't make a difference here since
that's just dictating how the zone is stored but still act as Primary zones.

Any reason morgancorp.net is in mixed mode? Still have NT4 BDCs?

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

Yes, two trees in the same forest.
Yes, each client set are using only their respective DNS in their domain and
the secondary zone of morgancorp.net that I created in morganolson.net is
disappearing.
morgancorp.net still has a couple NT4 BDC's

I think that the post that Kevin Goodknecht left has solved the problem. I
had two entries under ADUC MicrosoftDNS for the secondary zone. I had
"morgancorp.net" and "morgancorp.net CNF:blah blah blah". I deleted both of
those and deleted and re-created the secondary zone and so far it seems to
have fixed the problem. I will know tomorrow for sure since I will be
rebooting the server tonight.

In news:EDAA3CD1-6CE5-4C3C-9D95-E1D1FFC7C1FF@microsoft.com,
MorganNetMgr <MorganNetMgr@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I
commented below
> Yes, two trees in the same forest.
> Yes, each client set are using only their respective DNS in their
> domain and the secondary zone of morgancorp.net that I created in
> morganolson.net is disappearing.
> morgancorp.net still has a couple NT4 BDC's
>
> I think that the post that Kevin Goodknecht left has solved the
> problem. I had two entries under ADUC MicrosoftDNS for the secondary
> zone. I had "morgancorp.net" and "morgancorp.net CNF:blah blah blah".
> I deleted both of those and deleted and re-created the secondary zone
> and so far it seems to have fixed the problem. I will know tomorrow
> for sure since I will be rebooting the server tonight.

Sounds good to hear!
:)