Secondary Zone Disappears

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

I have 2 Win2K domains in the same forest. Domain A is in Mixed Mode with AD
integrated DNS, Domain B is Native with AD integrated DNS. Each domain has a
secondary forward lookup zone defined in DNS to the other domain.
My problem is that the secondary zone in Domain B disappears. I can't seem
to figure out why but the only way to get it back is to re-add the zone. I
does disappear whenever the server is rebooted but it also disappears without
a reboot.
11 answers Last reply
More about secondary zone disappears
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    I am having a similar problem, see my post Scaventing and Aging. Is the
    Primary zone still there when the secondary disappears?


    "MorganNetMgr" <MorganNetMgr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:ABDCC220-3806-41BC-85D1-BEC135D51BEE@microsoft.com...
    > I have 2 Win2K domains in the same forest. Domain A is in Mixed Mode with
    AD
    > integrated DNS, Domain B is Native with AD integrated DNS. Each domain has
    a
    > secondary forward lookup zone defined in DNS to the other domain.
    > My problem is that the secondary zone in Domain B disappears. I can't seem
    > to figure out why but the only way to get it back is to re-add the zone. I
    > does disappear whenever the server is rebooted but it also disappears
    without
    > a reboot.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Yes the primary is still there only the secondary disappears

    "George Lob" wrote:

    > I am having a similar problem, see my post Scaventing and Aging. Is the
    > Primary zone still there when the secondary disappears?
    >
    >
    > "MorganNetMgr" <MorganNetMgr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:ABDCC220-3806-41BC-85D1-BEC135D51BEE@microsoft.com...
    > > I have 2 Win2K domains in the same forest. Domain A is in Mixed Mode with
    > AD
    > > integrated DNS, Domain B is Native with AD integrated DNS. Each domain has
    > a
    > > secondary forward lookup zone defined in DNS to the other domain.
    > > My problem is that the secondary zone in Domain B disappears. I can't seem
    > > to figure out why but the only way to get it back is to re-add the zone. I
    > > does disappear whenever the server is rebooted but it also disappears
    > without
    > > a reboot.
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    "MorganNetMgr" wrote:

    > Yes the primary is still there only the secondary disappears

    Is the "Primary" Active Directory integrated?

    If it is then just delete the secondary zone, and let the AD zone replicate.

    Regards,
    Kevin
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Yes the Primary is AD integrated.
    I take it from your reply that if I have two domains with AD integrated DNS
    in the same forest that I do not need secondary zones defined at all. Is this
    true?
    If so and I have secondarys defined will it prevent the AD intergrated
    primaries from seeing each other?


    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr." wrote:

    >
    >
    > "MorganNetMgr" wrote:
    >
    > > Yes the primary is still there only the secondary disappears
    >
    > Is the "Primary" Active Directory integrated?
    >
    > If it is then just delete the secondary zone, and let the AD zone replicate.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Kevin
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:1A648431-4B0A-46DD-A1A0-CA327C30B6ED@microsoft.com,
    MorganNetMgr <MorganNetMgr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Yes the Primary is AD integrated.
    > I take it from your reply that if I have two domains with
    > AD integrated DNS in the same forest that I do not need
    > secondary zones defined at all. Is this true?

    No I guess I misunderstood, not in Win2k. Win2k ADI zones only replicate to
    Win2k DCs for the same domain, Win2k3 added forest wide replication. If the
    zone is secondary and it is disappearing then you should verify that there
    is not a copy of the zone in AD. Go to AD Users & Computers expand the
    System folder, Open the MicrosoftDNS folder, if there is an object with the
    name of the Secondary, delete it. Then try to recreate the secondary zone.

    > If so and I have secondarys defined will it prevent the
    > AD intergrated primaries from seeing each other?

    I don't get what you are asking here, zones don't see each other. While it
    is possible to store the zone for the other domain in AD, it will not be
    replicated between the domains. Each one will be a zone of its own and will
    be replicated to other DCs within that same domain.


    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ================================================
    --
    When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
    via your newsreader so that others may learn and
    benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
    me remove the nospam. from my email address.
    ================================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ================================================
    Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
    It will strip signature out and more
    http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
    ================================================
    Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
    with OEBackup:
    http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
    ================================================
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    "MorganNetMgr" <MorganNetMgr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:1A648431-4B0A-46DD-A1A0-CA327C30B6ED@microsoft.com...
    > Yes the Primary is AD integrated.
    > I take it from your reply that if I have two domains with AD integrated
    DNS
    > in the same forest that I do not need secondary zones defined at all. Is
    this
    > true?
    > If so and I have secondarys defined will it prevent the AD intergrated
    > primaries from seeing each other?
    >
    >
    >
    > "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr." wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >
    > > "MorganNetMgr" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Yes the primary is still there only the secondary disappears
    > >
    > > Is the "Primary" Active Directory integrated?
    > >
    > > If it is then just delete the secondary zone, and let the AD zone
    replicate.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Kevin
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:1A648431-4B0A-46DD-A1A0-CA327C30B6ED@microsoft.com,
    MorganNetMgr <MorganNetMgr@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I
    commented below
    > Yes the Primary is AD integrated.
    > I take it from your reply that if I have two domains with AD
    > integrated DNS in the same forest that I do not need secondary zones
    > defined at all. Is this true?
    > If so and I have secondarys defined will it prevent the AD intergrated
    > primaries from seeing each other?
    >


    Curious, what are the two domain names?

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
    so all can benefit.

    This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
    and confers no rights.

    Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
    Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

    Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    The domain names are
    MorganCorp.net
    MorganOlson.net
    They are in the same Win2K forest, not in a parent/child setup.

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

    > In news:1A648431-4B0A-46DD-A1A0-CA327C30B6ED@microsoft.com,
    > MorganNetMgr <MorganNetMgr@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I
    > commented below
    > > Yes the Primary is AD integrated.
    > > I take it from your reply that if I have two domains with AD
    > > integrated DNS in the same forest that I do not need secondary zones
    > > defined at all. Is this true?
    > > If so and I have secondarys defined will it prevent the AD intergrated
    > > primaries from seeing each other?
    > >
    >
    >
    > Curious, what are the two domain names?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace
    >
    > Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
    > so all can benefit.
    >
    > This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
    > and confers no rights.
    >
    > Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
    >
    > Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    > A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    > --
    > =================================
    >
    >
    >
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:48FE9041-B203-45C0-97F8-DCE855C394AD@microsoft.com,
    MorganNetMgr <MorganNetMgr@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I
    commented below
    > The domain names are
    > MorganCorp.net
    > MorganOlson.net
    > They are in the same Win2K forest, not in a parent/child setup.

    So they are two trees in the same forest? Going back to your original post,
    each client set are using only their respective DNS in their domain and your
    secondary zone of morgancorp.net that you created in morganolson.net is
    disappearing? Strange, and I do not *think* that mode would make a
    difference here. AD integrated zones wouldn't make a difference here since
    that's just dictating how the zone is stored but still act as Primary zones.

    Any reason morgancorp.net is in mixed mode? Still have NT4 BDCs?

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
    so all can benefit.

    This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
    and confers no rights.

    Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
    Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

    Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Yes, two trees in the same forest.
    Yes, each client set are using only their respective DNS in their domain and
    the secondary zone of morgancorp.net that I created in morganolson.net is
    disappearing.
    morgancorp.net still has a couple NT4 BDC's

    I think that the post that Kevin Goodknecht left has solved the problem. I
    had two entries under ADUC MicrosoftDNS for the secondary zone. I had
    "morgancorp.net" and "morgancorp.net CNF:blah blah blah". I deleted both of
    those and deleted and re-created the secondary zone and so far it seems to
    have fixed the problem. I will know tomorrow for sure since I will be
    rebooting the server tonight.

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

    > In news:48FE9041-B203-45C0-97F8-DCE855C394AD@microsoft.com,
    > MorganNetMgr <MorganNetMgr@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I
    > commented below
    > > The domain names are
    > > MorganCorp.net
    > > MorganOlson.net
    > > They are in the same Win2K forest, not in a parent/child setup.
    >
    > So they are two trees in the same forest? Going back to your original post,
    > each client set are using only their respective DNS in their domain and your
    > secondary zone of morgancorp.net that you created in morganolson.net is
    > disappearing? Strange, and I do not *think* that mode would make a
    > difference here. AD integrated zones wouldn't make a difference here since
    > that's just dictating how the zone is stored but still act as Primary zones.
    >
    > Any reason morgancorp.net is in mixed mode? Still have NT4 BDCs?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace
    >
    > Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
    > so all can benefit.
    >
    > This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
    > and confers no rights.
    >
    > Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
    >
    > Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    > A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    > --
    > =================================
    >
    >
    >
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:EDAA3CD1-6CE5-4C3C-9D95-E1D1FFC7C1FF@microsoft.com,
    MorganNetMgr <MorganNetMgr@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I
    commented below
    > Yes, two trees in the same forest.
    > Yes, each client set are using only their respective DNS in their
    > domain and the secondary zone of morgancorp.net that I created in
    > morganolson.net is disappearing.
    > morgancorp.net still has a couple NT4 BDC's
    >
    > I think that the post that Kevin Goodknecht left has solved the
    > problem. I had two entries under ADUC MicrosoftDNS for the secondary
    > zone. I had "morgancorp.net" and "morgancorp.net CNF:blah blah blah".
    > I deleted both of those and deleted and re-created the secondary zone
    > and so far it seems to have fixed the problem. I will know tomorrow
    > for sure since I will be rebooting the server tonight.
    >


    Sounds good to hear!
    :-)

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
    so all can benefit.

    This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
    and confers no rights.

    Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
    Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

    Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
Ask a new question

Read More

Domain Microsoft DNS Windows