Downloading programs

Hello all. I would appreciate any assistance with a problem I'm having with
downloading progs from just about all websites.
I can't simply click on a "download now" link, I must first right-click
and "save target as..." but, sometimes that doesn't work either. The system
is second -hand from a reliable friend. It is an HP 4540 and works well, save
for a pretty full primary hard drive and memory is adequate.(it has a
secondary H.D. with plenty of space) I'm running Windows XP Home with SP2
installed and I.E.6.
Any help? Than-you
10 answers Last reply
More about downloading programs

    You have ZoneAlarm running, ver 5.x, right?

    --

    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Divingcavetroll" <Divingcavetroll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:7AAFB22F-04B1-4C1B-A60A-61335CB5AE8C@microsoft.com...
    > Hello all. I would appreciate any assistance with a problem I'm having
    > with
    > downloading progs from just about all websites.
    > I can't simply click on a "download now" link, I must first right-click
    > and "save target as..." but, sometimes that doesn't work either. The
    > system
    > is second -hand from a reliable friend. It is an HP 4540 and works well,
    > save
    > for a pretty full primary hard drive and memory is adequate.(it has a
    > secondary H.D. with plenty of space) I'm running Windows XP Home with SP2
    > installed and I.E.6.
    > Any help? Than-you

    Can you tell me about that? I don't know what that is.

    "Richard Urban" wrote:

    > You have ZoneAlarm running, ver 5.x, right?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards:
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >

    > "Divingcavetroll" <Divingcavetroll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:7AAFB22F-04B1-4C1B-A60A-61335CB5AE8C@microsoft.com...
    > > Hello all. I would appreciate any assistance with a problem I'm having
    > > with
    > > downloading progs from just about all websites.
    > > I can't simply click on a "download now" link, I must first right-click
    > > and "save target as..." but, sometimes that doesn't work either. The
    > > system
    > > is second -hand from a reliable friend. It is an HP 4540 and works well,
    > > save
    > > for a pretty full primary hard drive and memory is adequate.(it has a
    > > secondary H.D. with plenty of space) I'm running Windows XP Home with SP2
    > > installed and I.E.6.
    > > Any help? Than-you

    Ver 5.1.033.000 here and don't have (never had) that download problem.

    > You have ZoneAlarm running, ver 5.x, right?
    >
    > "Divingcavetroll" <Divingcavetroll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:7AAFB22F-04B1-4C1B-A60A-61335CB5AE8C@microsoft.com...
    >> Hello all. I would appreciate any assistance with a problem I'm having
    >> with
    >> downloading progs from just about all websites.
    >> I can't simply click on a "download now" link, I must first right-click
    >> and "save target as..." but, sometimes that doesn't work either. The
    >> system
    >> is second -hand from a reliable friend. It is an HP 4540 and works well,
    >> save
    >> for a pretty full primary hard drive and memory is adequate.(it has a
    >> secondary H.D. with plenty of space) I'm running Windows XP Home with SP2
    >> installed and I.E.6.
    >> Any help? Than-you

    Try emptying your temp files and cookies...Tools>internet options>General
    tab. Remember, deleting your cookies will force you to re-enter passwords &
    login I.D.'s
    "Sunny" <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > Ver 5.1.033.000 here and don't have (never had) that download problem.

    > > You have ZoneAlarm running, ver 5.x, right?
    > >
    > > "Divingcavetroll" <Divingcavetroll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > > message news:7AAFB22F-04B1-4C1B-A60A-61335CB5AE8C@microsoft.com...
    > >> Hello all. I would appreciate any assistance with a problem I'm having
    > >> with
    > >> downloading progs from just about all websites.
    > >> I can't simply click on a "download now" link, I must first
    right-click
    > >> and "save target as..." but, sometimes that doesn't work either. The
    > >> system
    > >> is second -hand from a reliable friend. It is an HP 4540 and works
    well,
    > >> save
    > >> for a pretty full primary hard drive and memory is adequate.(it has a
    > >> secondary H.D. with plenty of space) I'm running Windows XP Home with
    SP2
    > >> installed and I.E.6.
    > >> Any help? Than-you

    Hello Ivee and thank-you for your reply. Unforunately, I've already tried
    that to no avail. I even did a *.tmp and *.chk search. There were, however a
    couple of files that could not be read or accesed,don't remember what they
    were. Anyway thanks for the tip. Signed, Kev.

    "lvee" wrote:

    > Try emptying your temp files and cookies...Tools>internet options>General
    > tab. Remember, deleting your cookies will force you to re-enter passwords &
    > login I.D.'s
    > "Sunny" <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > > Ver 5.1.033.000 here and don't have (never had) that download problem.
    > >
    > > "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > You have ZoneAlarm running, ver 5.x, right?
    > > >
    > > > "Divingcavetroll" <Divingcavetroll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > > > message news:7AAFB22F-04B1-4C1B-A60A-61335CB5AE8C@microsoft.com...
    > right-click
    > well,
    > SP2

    Hello. I'm quite sure it's some setting or another I've overlooked...Maybe I
    should just go back to Ver 5.(?)

    Divingcavetroll wrote:
    > Hello all. I would appreciate any assistance with a problem I'm having with
    > downloading progs from just about all websites.
    > I can't simply click on a "download now" link, I must first right-click
    > and "save target as..." but, sometimes that doesn't work either. The system
    > is second -hand from a reliable friend. It is an HP 4540 and works well, save
    > for a pretty full primary hard drive and memory is adequate.(it has a
    > secondary H.D. with plenty of space) I'm running Windows XP Home with SP2
    > installed and I.E.6.
    > Any help? Than-you
    SP2 causes a narrow information bar to appear at the top of your
    Internet Explorer screen when you attempt a download. Click that bar and
    you will see your options.
    Gene K

    Hello, Gene K. Seems as if I'm stumping the panel here.
    Tried that too and the problem existed before SP2 anyway.
    There are a couple more tidbits of information I left out of my original
    message:
    1) When a "download now" link is clicked I get a message that the program
    is downloading (from site etc.) but no status or progress of download.
    2) When the download is so-called complete what I get is a blank, white
    screen with a very small, multi-colored box in the upper left hand corner,
    that's it.
    Any ideas? Thanks, Kev.

    "Gene K" wrote:

    > Divingcavetroll wrote:
    > > Hello all. I would appreciate any assistance with a problem I'm having with
    > > downloading progs from just about all websites.
    > > I can't simply click on a "download now" link, I must first right-click
    > > and "save target as..." but, sometimes that doesn't work either. The system
    > > is second -hand from a reliable friend. It is an HP 4540 and works well, save
    > > for a pretty full primary hard drive and memory is adequate.(it has a
    > > secondary H.D. with plenty of space) I'm running Windows XP Home with SP2
    > > installed and I.E.6.
    > > Any help? Than-you
    > SP2 causes a narrow information bar to appear at the top of your
    > Internet Explorer screen when you attempt a download. Click that bar and
    > you will see your options.
    > Gene K

    Okay, go to your toolbar, select Internet Options>security tab>custom level.
    Now, you are going to see a page with choices to enable, disable, or prompt.
    The first one listed is ActiveX controls and plug-ins. Set that one to
    prompt.
    Disable the next 2, and enable the next( or administrator approved) enable
    the next one, then enable the 2 that are listed for downloads.
    Hit apply, then okay then let the changes take affect. You may have to
    restart your computer.

    "Divingcavetroll" <Divingcavetroll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:8F21B338-06A8-490D-85D1-4940ED6A12B2@microsoft.com...
    > Hello, Gene K. Seems as if I'm stumping the panel here.
    > Tried that too and the problem existed before SP2 anyway.
    > There are a couple more tidbits of information I left out of my original
    > message:
    > 1) When a "download now" link is clicked I get a message that the program
    > is downloading (from site etc.) but no status or progress of download.
    > 2) When the download is so-called complete what I get is a blank, white
    > screen with a very small, multi-colored box in the upper left hand corner,
    > that's it.
    > Any ideas? Thanks, Kev.
    >
    > "Gene K" wrote:
    >
    > > Divingcavetroll wrote:
    > > > Hello all. I would appreciate any assistance with a problem I'm having
    with
    > > > downloading progs from just about all websites.
    > > > I can't simply click on a "download now" link, I must first
    right-click
    > > > and "save target as..." but, sometimes that doesn't work either. The
    system
    > > > is second -hand from a reliable friend. It is an HP 4540 and works
    well, save
    > > > for a pretty full primary hard drive and memory is adequate.(it has a
    > > > secondary H.D. with plenty of space) I'm running Windows XP Home with
    SP2
    > > > installed and I.E.6.
    > > > Any help? Than-you
    > > SP2 causes a narrow information bar to appear at the top of your
    > > Internet Explorer screen when you attempt a download. Click that bar and
    > > you will see your options.
    > > Gene K

    If that doesn't work, ( sorry I forgot to put this in with my last post) you
    might want to think about doing a repair to Internet Explorer.
    "Divingcavetroll" <Divingcavetroll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:8F21B338-06A8-490D-85D1-4940ED6A12B2@microsoft.com...
    > Hello, Gene K. Seems as if I'm stumping the panel here.
    > Tried that too and the problem existed before SP2 anyway.
    > There are a couple more tidbits of information I left out of my original
    > message:
    > 1) When a "download now" link is clicked I get a message that the program
    > is downloading (from site etc.) but no status or progress of download.
    > 2) When the download is so-called complete what I get is a blank, white
    > screen with a very small, multi-colored box in the upper left hand corner,
    > that's it.
    > Any ideas? Thanks, Kev.
    >
    > "Gene K" wrote:
    >
    > > Divingcavetroll wrote:
    > > > Hello all. I would appreciate any assistance with a problem I'm having
    with
    > > > downloading progs from just about all websites.
    > > > I can't simply click on a "download now" link, I must first
    right-click
    > > > and "save target as..." but, sometimes that doesn't work either. The
    system
    > > > is second -hand from a reliable friend. It is an HP 4540 and works
    well, save
    > > > for a pretty full primary hard drive and memory is adequate.(it has a
    > > > secondary H.D. with plenty of space) I'm running Windows XP Home with
    SP2
    > > > installed and I.E.6.
    > > > Any help? Than-you
    > > SP2 causes a narrow information bar to appear at the top of your
    > > Internet Explorer screen when you attempt a download. Click that bar and
    > > you will see your options.
    > > Gene K

Windows XP