should I use a caching-only dns server ????

Hello all,

I'm not a DNS guru, so I kindly ask for your opinion on the following
issue:

we have a w2k domain spreading across five sites. One of them, the
smallest, only hosts one dc and one ris server plus seven clients (the
other sites hosts from fifty to approx. 400 clients). Connectivity
between such remote site and the main one is provided by a 256 Kb
link.
The DC located in this site is also DNS server for the zone/domain
(each site has at least one authoritative server for the zone).

Now, because connection to the main site is not that great, I was
wondering if it was worth considering transforming the DNS master
server of the remote site into a caching-only DNS server. Would that
help in preserving the bandwith between the sites (I assume the
caching-only server will still be querying the authoritative dns
server across the slow link).

Further, how should the clients be configured ? Should they point to
the caching-only server ?

I hope my questions are not too stupid; in which case, I beg your
pardon...

Thanks in advance,
Bar

"barabba" <barabba72@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I'm not a DNS guru, so I kindly ask for your opinion on the following
> issue:
>
> we have a w2k domain spreading across five sites. One of them, the
> smallest, only hosts one dc and one ris server plus seven clients (the
> other sites hosts from fifty to approx. 400 clients). Connectivity
> between such remote site and the main one is provided by a 256 Kb
> link.
> The DC located in this site is also DNS server for the zone/domain
> (each site has at least one authoritative server for the zone).
>
> Now, because connection to the main site is not that great, I was
> wondering if it was worth considering transforming the DNS master
> server of the remote site into a caching-only DNS server. Would that
> help in preserving the bandwith between the sites (I assume the
> caching-only server will still be querying the authoritative dns
> server across the slow link).

Probably not, with such a small (few thousand) number of machines.

Are you using Active Directory Integrated DNS -- that wasn't clear.

I would strongly recommend that since you already have DCs in each
site/location.

You will get the most efficient DNS replication that way and may
even get it for "free" since it will flow with the existing DC
replication.

> Further, how should the clients be configured ? Should they point to
> the caching-only server ?

Clients should point FIRST to their most local internal DNS server.
(Perhaps with the next nearest internal DNS server set as the alternate
on such clients.)

> I hope my questions are not too stupid; in which case, I beg your
> pardon...

Not at all -- these questions make perfect sense.

If you just want to talk it over you can even give me a call --
phone number is on my website LearnQuick.Com

--
Herb Martin

> Thanks in advance,
> Bar