Living in Las Vegas?

dauthus

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Due to the utterly ridiculous teacher market here on LI, I applied to work for Clark County schools in Las Vegas.

Does anyone live there or know anything about living in Vegas? I've been to the strip before...thats about it.

My salary would be approx $41k. Is that even enough to survive there on?

Thanks!

Amen to the bad job situation. I know that the housing market was hit pretty hard there and is still probably struggling. So, regardless of whether or not you want to buy a small house or rent, I'm sure that there are plenty of deals out there that will fit your income.

EchoTechCon

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011

My wife and I lived in Vegas for a year and a half, and there are definitely a couple of things you should know before moving (hope its not to late!):

1. Most jobs in Vegas require one year residency before you will be granted an interview.
2. In support of item one, "Locals" get first pick on the jobs!
(heck, even the hurricane Katrina refugees were offered opportunities over short-term locals)

3. Forty-one thousand is enough to survive on, but two incomes will be better than one! Three better yet!
4. The same money a three bedroom townhouse with on street parking (i.e. no driveway) and extremely little yard, got in northern Virginia rented an additional bedroom, two car garage, spacious dining room and pool in Vegas!
(we loved the northwest side of Vegas and were even trying to RESTORE the landlord's tiny patch of lawn!)

5. If you get a job with Clark County Schools, do everything possible to keep it! That sounds pretty good to me!
6. Plan on learning Spanish as a second language; it will be crucial to your success and survival!
7. Monthly water bills are not as high as urban legends say.
(we were paying $13-20 a month with a swimming pool and automatic lawn sprinkler)

8. Avoid "The Strip" at all costs unless you are showing out of town visitors around.
(Vegas has everything else to offer and will continue its evolution as a city IF the money goes anywhere but into non-stop gaming)

9. The surrounding environment is great IF you enjoy wide-open spaces.

10. Having hummingbirds in our backyard was pretty cool!
11. The Extraterrestrial Highway and small town of Rachel is a half day drive away!
(see the fabled 'Area 51' -- well, the back gate to it anyway! -- Take a couple of blankets if you go in the "chilly" season. We froze our butts off in the Rachel mini-motel with bathroom shared to a neighbor.)

I hope this information helps! Private message me to ask more questions.

~