Sign in with
Your question

Problem with starting up Windows 7 after instalation of XP on another

Last response: in Windows 7
November 12, 2009 5:28:02 PM

Hi. I Have a problem starting up the newest windows after installation of older windows with dual boot mode. I installed XP 32bit from window7 onto another hard disk. Afterward, It doesn't allow me to start Windows7. It freezes at "Verifying DMI pool data". After reading some forums, I might have MBR, BCD or more files damaged. I found some solutions but both systems are on the same hard drive. How am I suppose to fix Windows7 when its on a different hard disk. If I start up XP, I can see hard disk where windows7 is but when I want to open it, it says "D: is not formatted". I would to need fix the files so I can boot Windows7 to save some of my stuff. If I need to I can erase XP. Thank you for your time. Mark
a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2009 11:51:57 PM

Unplug the XP HDD. Will it boot into Win 7 now?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2009 2:45:14 AM

Disconnect the XP drive, boot the system using the Windows 7 disk, select repair Windows and fix the boot loader.
Older OS should always be installed first, in your case XP, then W7.
You could fix XP by disconecting the Windows 7 drive and booting with XP disk and repairairing the XP boot loader.
You then have a choice to use one or the other OS by selecting the drive from bios as the first boot drive (after reconnectng the drive), otherwise, set the CD/DVDRom drive as first boot, the XP second, boot the W7 DVD, run setup, go to drive tools, format the W7 drive and reinstall W7.
m
l
Related resources
November 13, 2009 4:53:45 AM

TheViper said:
Unplug the XP HDD. Will it boot into Win 7 now?

No i cant boot from HDD where is W7. It freezes at "Verifying DMI pool data".
m
l
November 13, 2009 7:39:18 AM

Jonmor68 said:
Disconnect the XP drive, boot the system using the Windows 7 disk, select repair Windows and fix the boot loader.
Older OS should always be installed first, in your case XP, then W7.
You could fix XP by disconecting the Windows 7 drive and booting with XP disk and repairairing the XP boot loader.
You then have a choice to use one or the other OS by selecting the drive from bios as the first boot drive (after reconnectng the drive), otherwise, set the CD/DVDRom drive as first boot, the XP second, boot the W7 DVD, run setup, go to drive tools, format the W7 drive and reinstall W7.

Hey
I don't know why but i was think W7 RC don't have repair option on instalation DVD disk. I don't go over first screen which say "instaling windows" before. Now i find this option if i boot from W7 RC instaling DVD and then i use startup repair tool for repair HDD. Partition informations been corupted. I run self repair twice and finaly W7 startup. :bounce: 
And yes i will switching systems in BIOS now. Thank you for concern to help me.
Mark
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2009 1:16:13 PM

I read this from another thread and works, maybe can help you.

Open "System Recovery Options" on the repair disk, or OS disk. Open up the Command Prompt.
Try typing the following commands in order: "bootrec /fixmbr", "bootrec /fixboot", "bootrec /rebuildbdc".
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2009 3:40:39 PM

skobik said:
Hey
I don't know why but i was think W7 RC don't have repair option on instalation DVD disk. I don't go over first screen which say "instaling windows" before. Now i find this option if i boot from W7 RC instaling DVD and then i use startup repair tool for repair HDD. Partition informations been corupted. I run self repair twice and finaly W7 startup. :bounce: 
And yes i will switching systems in BIOS now. Thank you for concern to help me.
Mark

Thanks for posting back, I'm glad you are up and running.
m
l
!