How to clean CPU and install HSF

shinji3c

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Hey guys
I took out the CPU HSF and the CPU(e6600). I realized I put excessive amount of Artic Silver 5 so I decided to clean up the CPU. I used napkin(safe?). I didn't touch where the pins are but somehow the residue of the artic silver 5 got to where the pins are(bottom)?How do I clean up the thermal compound on the pins? Any tools or material I have to buy?

Also, I noticed slight burn mark on it. I actually am not sure if it is burn mark but the colors are a little different but it's subtle difference. Mine passed all the CPU Mark test thing so I guess I'm safe?

Thanky!!

DeMonOfElRu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
You have the as5 onto the pins ??? No ... that can't be right.
AS5 is essentially metal(silver particles) .. it would short-circuit if the AS5 ever fell onto the pins(when you turn it on again that is).

The burn-mark , if its on the heatsink , is obviously not a burn mark at all. It just residue. Its the particles filling the microscopic valleys in the heatsink metal.

How do you clean iup the residue you say ??

Well , I'm guessing the residue is no longer in semi-liquid form , so you could just use a vacuum cleaner to suck it out. Rather dangerous this is. Just keep your distance. Don't get it too close. If it makes contact with the pins through sudden powerful suction , then you're dead. :lol:

As for cleaning the heatsink itself .. most people would just use isopropyl alcohol and lint-free cloth(meaning no tissue paper).

Rich52490

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Why not buy some electrical contact cleaner and use it along with Q-Tips, works excellent and the cleaner evaporates within seconds of applying?

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Hey guys
I took out the CPU HSF and the CPU(e6600). I realized I put excessive amount of Artic Silver 5 so I decided to clean up the CPU. I used napkin(safe?). I didn't touch where the pins are but somehow the residue of the artic silver 5 got to where the pins are(bottom)?How do I clean up the thermal compound on the pins? Any tools or material I have to buy?

Also, I noticed slight burn mark on it. I actually am not sure if it is burn mark but the colors are a little different but it's subtle difference. Mine passed all the CPU Mark test thing so I guess I'm safe?

Thanky!!

To remove from pins, use isopropyl alchohol and a soft bristle tooth brush.

Get a small bowl (you dont care about) pour some alcohol in it, dip the brush in the alc, then gently work the bristles into the affected pins. Did I say gently? I meant GENTLY.

Rinse the brush in the alcohol and repeat the process.
Continue repeating untill all the residue is removed.
Fill bowl with fresh als if the alc in it becomes saturated with the compound residue
Allow the CPU to dry for an hour afterwards, just to be safe

Peace

Get a small bowl (you dont care about) pour some alcohol in it, dip the brush in the alc, then gently work the bristles into the affected pins. Did I say gently? I meant GENTLY.

I don't know about pins, but thanks...worked wonders on whitening up my central incisors.

shinji3c

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Well I don't know how exactly it happened, prolly me being careless.
I guess the thermal compound got sticky afterwards and somehow attached itself to the pin while I was cleaning up the top.

So, it is NOT safe to just put it in and hope it works??? Will it kill my Mobo too???

ArbY

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004
Well I don't know how exactly it happened, prolly me being careless.
I guess the thermal compound got sticky afterwards and somehow attached itself to the pin while I was cleaning up the top.

So, it is NOT safe to just put it in and hope it works??? Will it kill my Mobo too???

Your mobo and your first born!

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

I don't know about pins, but thanks...worked wonders on whitening up my central incisors.
:lol:

Lol, a little hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, for the incisors. But if ya feel froggy, try that mixture on yer CPU :wink:

Peace

shinji3c

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
ok tears dried now lol
I'll try the isopropyl alcohol with Q-Tips first. The isopropyl alcohol won't get inside the CPU thru the gold contacts tho right?
That don't work, then i'll buy the Cleaner. I already spent too much money :(

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
ok tears dried now lol
I'll try the isopropyl alcohol with Q-Tips first. The isopropyl alcohol won't get inside the CPU thru the gold contacts tho right?
That don't work, then i'll buy the Cleaner. I already spent too much money :(

Did you not notice that Wusy said NOT to use a q-tip on your CPU as it will crush the pins?