Host Record Question

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi,

We have a 2000 server that is used for our external dns
server. We are on an NT 4 domain. My question is how do we
create a record so that when someone types in
http://mydomain.com it will be just like typing in
http://www.mydomain.com? Thanks in advance for you help.

Thanks!

In news:7bfb01c48462$fe2c6400$a601280a@phx.gbl,
jack <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi,
>
> We have a 2000 server that is used for our external dns
> server. We are on an NT 4 domain. My question is how do we
> create a record so that when someone types in
> http://mydomain.com it will be just like typing in
> http://www.mydomain.com? Thanks in advance for you help.
>
> Thanks!

By using a host record without a host name in the mydomain.com zone.
Win2k will bark at you saying "(same as parent folder) is not a valid host
name" click OK to create the record anyway.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

j> how do we create a record so that when someone types in
j> http://mydomain.com it will be just like typing in
j> http://www.mydomain.com?

<URL:http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/web-allowing-omission-of-www.html>

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Thanks guys for the help and quick response. Creating an
empty host record actually works great but I guess have to
remember to create host headers in your IIS too :)

-Jack

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.inetserver.iis (More info?)

j> Thanks guys for the help and quick response. Creating an
j> empty host record actually works great but I guess have to
j> remember to create host headers in your IIS too :)

Yes, one does.

<URL:http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/web-allowing-omission-of-www.html#HTTP>

Modifying one's content HTTP server is the part that many people forget
to mention.