New zone and domain

What is the differences of having new zone and new domain ? Can i host
another domain name in my dns with my fixed ip ? pls advise

Rgds
Daniel

In news:6a6a9040.0408170619.1a360cfa@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> What is the differences of having new zone and new domain
> ? Can i host another domain name in my dns with my fixed
> ip ? pls advise

A new zone would be a complete namespace i.e. example.com. a new domain
would be a sub domain in an existing zone. i.e adding a domain named child
in the example.com zone would create a domain named child.example.com.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Kevin, what is the purpose of having domains ?

Rgds
Daniel

In news:6a6a9040.0408171822.20e12f57@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Kevin, what is the purpose of having domains ?

Let's suppose you are tan.net and you want to add daniel.tan.net without
creating a new zone. You would create a new domain in tan.net named daniel
with a blank host with the IP of daniel.tan.net site. The difference between
that and creating a host named daniel is that inside the subdomain you can
add www and mail A records and MX records.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
with OEBackup:

Kevin, does that make it more efficient and fast in terms of name
resolution compared to create a new zone ?

Rgds
Daniel

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message news:<#BVGTCRhEHA.3548@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> In news:6a6a9040.0408171822.20e12f57@posting.google.com,
> Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> wrote their comments
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Kevin, what is the purpose of having domains ?
>
> Let's suppose you are tan.net and you want to add daniel.tan.net without
> creating a new zone. You would create a new domain in tan.net named daniel
> with a blank host with the IP of daniel.tan.net site. The difference between
> that and creating a host named daniel is that inside the subdomain you can
> add www and mail A records and MX records.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> It will strip signature out and more
> with OEBackup:

Kevin, even if i created a new zone , i can still create A records and
MX records. Same as in subdomain.

In news:6a6a9040.0408180829.41956a62@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Kevin, does that make it more efficient and fast in terms
> of name
> resolution compared to create a new zone ?

I would say not any more efficient or fast, but if someone is hosting a
secondary zone for you on a server you have no control over, then it would
be better to have a sub domain rather than a separate zone. If you create a
separate zone then you would need to delegate the sub domain only to the DNS
servers that actually hold the zone.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
with OEBackup:

Kevin, what do you mean by delegate the sub domain to the dns serve
that holds the zone ?

Rgds
Daniel

In news:6a6a9040.0408210755.3676e293@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Kevin, what do you mean by delegate the sub domain to the
> dns serve
> that holds the zone ?

If you have a sub domain named "sub.example.com" then you would create a new
delegation in "example.com" named "sub" then point that delegation to the
DNS server that has the zone "sub.example.com"

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
with OEBackup:

Kevin, if the sub.example.com is hosted in remote server, then i need
to create a new delegation in "example.com" named "sub" in my local
DNS server and then point that delegation to the remote DNS server
that has the zone "sub.example.com" ? Right ? but how do i know
whether i have a sub domain hosted ? Thanks for explaining

Rgds
Daniel

In news:6a6a9040.0408230000.2d08b91b@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Kevin, if the sub.example.com is hosted in remote server,
> then i need
> to create a new delegation in "example.com" named "sub"
> in my local
> DNS server and then point that delegation to the remote
> DNS server
> that has the zone "sub.example.com" ? Right ? but how do
> i know
> whether i have a sub domain hosted ? Thanks for explaining

How would you know?
You would know because you would have to have someone create the zone for
you.