Single Host, Multiple NetBIOS Names

Greetings,

I 've 2 NICs on Domain Controller, DNS is running in "AD Integrated mode".
Lets say, I've :

NIC -1 : 192.168.0.1
NIC -2 : 192.168.1.1

The hostname of the DC is "A1". But I want to bind IP: 192.168.0.1 with "A1"
and 192.168.1.1 with "A2" hostnames on the same box. What are the proper
steps I should do? I manually created another Host A record with
"192.168.1.1 binded to A2 in the DNS and it was pinging but upon accessing
the hostname with a NETBIOS name i.e. A2, it says "A duplicate name exists
on the network".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Nejmos Saqeb
saqeb@wtmeca.net
3 answers Last reply
More about single host multiple netbios names

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 01:38:26 +0500, "Nejmos Saqeb" <saqeb@wtmeca.net>
    wrote:

    >Greetings,
    >
    >I 've 2 NICs on Domain Controller, DNS is running in "AD Integrated mode".
    >Lets say, I've :
    >
    >NIC -1 : 192.168.0.1
    >NIC -2 : 192.168.1.1
    >
    >The hostname of the DC is "A1". But I want to bind IP: 192.168.0.1 with "A1"
    >and 192.168.1.1 with "A2" hostnames on the same box. What are the proper
    >steps I should do? I manually created another Host A record with
    >"192.168.1.1 binded to A2 in the DNS and it was pinging but upon accessing
    >the hostname with a NETBIOS name i.e. A2, it says "A duplicate name exists
    >on the network".

    You can't duplicate host names on a network. So don't. Rethink your
    naming scheme.

    Jeff

    In news:uoTgDoJhEHA.2416@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Nejmos Saqeb <saqeb@wtmeca.net> wrote their comments
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I 've 2 NICs on Domain Controller, DNS is running in "AD
    > Integrated mode". Lets say, I've :
    >
    > NIC -1 : 192.168.0.1
    > NIC -2 : 192.168.1.1
    >
    > The hostname of the DC is "A1". But I want to bind IP:
    > 192.168.0.1 with "A1" and 192.168.1.1 with "A2" hostnames
    > on the same box. What are the proper steps I should do? I
    > manually created another Host A record with "192.168.1.1
    > binded to A2 in the DNS and it was pinging but upon
    > accessing the hostname with a NETBIOS name i.e. A2, it
    > says "A duplicate name exists on the network".
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    281308 - Connecting to SMB Share on a Windows 2000-Based Server May Not Work
    with an Alias Name:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281308&Product=win2000

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Mr. Jeff, re read my question, am not duplicating the Hostname.

    "Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 01:38:26 +0500, "Nejmos Saqeb" <saqeb@wtmeca.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Greetings,
    > >
    > >I 've 2 NICs on Domain Controller, DNS is running in "AD Integrated
    mode".
    > >Lets say, I've :
    > >
    > >NIC -1 : 192.168.0.1
    > >NIC -2 : 192.168.1.1
    > >
    > >The hostname of the DC is "A1". But I want to bind IP: 192.168.0.1 with
    "A1"
    > >and 192.168.1.1 with "A2" hostnames on the same box. What are the proper
    > >steps I should do? I manually created another Host A record with
    > >"192.168.1.1 binded to A2 in the DNS and it was pinging but upon
    accessing
    > >the hostname with a NETBIOS name i.e. A2, it says "A duplicate name
    exists
    > >on the network".
    >
    > You can't duplicate host names on a network. So don't. Rethink your
    > naming scheme.
    >
    > Jeff

DNS Windows