Single Host, Multiple NetBIOS Names

Greetings,

I 've 2 NICs on Domain Controller, DNS is running in "AD Integrated mode".
Lets say, I've :

NIC -1 : 192.168.0.1
NIC -2 : 192.168.1.1

The hostname of the DC is "A1". But I want to bind IP: 192.168.0.1 with "A1"
and 192.168.1.1 with "A2" hostnames on the same box. What are the proper
steps I should do? I manually created another Host A record with
"192.168.1.1 binded to A2 in the DNS and it was pinging but upon accessing
the hostname with a NETBIOS name i.e. A2, it says "A duplicate name exists
on the network".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Nejmos Saqeb
saqeb@wtmeca.net

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 01:38:26 +0500, "Nejmos Saqeb" <saqeb@wtmeca.net>
wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>I 've 2 NICs on Domain Controller, DNS is running in "AD Integrated mode".
>Lets say, I've :
>
>NIC -1 : 192.168.0.1
>NIC -2 : 192.168.1.1
>
>The hostname of the DC is "A1". But I want to bind IP: 192.168.0.1 with "A1"
>and 192.168.1.1 with "A2" hostnames on the same box. What are the proper
>steps I should do? I manually created another Host A record with
>"192.168.1.1 binded to A2 in the DNS and it was pinging but upon accessing
>the hostname with a NETBIOS name i.e. A2, it says "A duplicate name exists
>on the network".

You can't duplicate host names on a network. So don't. Rethink your
naming scheme.

Jeff

In news:uoTgDoJhEHA.2416@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Nejmos Saqeb <saqeb@wtmeca.net> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Greetings,
>
> I 've 2 NICs on Domain Controller, DNS is running in "AD
> Integrated mode". Lets say, I've :
>
> NIC -1 : 192.168.0.1
> NIC -2 : 192.168.1.1
>
> The hostname of the DC is "A1". But I want to bind IP:
> 192.168.0.1 with "A1" and 192.168.1.1 with "A2" hostnames
> on the same box. What are the proper steps I should do? I
> manually created another Host A record with "192.168.1.1
> binded to A2 in the DNS and it was pinging but upon
> accessing the hostname with a NETBIOS name i.e. A2, it
> says "A duplicate name exists on the network".
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

281308 - Connecting to SMB Share on a Windows 2000-Based Server May Not Work
with an Alias Name:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281308&Product=win2000

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Mr. Jeff, re read my question, am not duplicating the Hostname.