AMD without a true definition of a socket.. why?

Keyvan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Hello!,
I want to open a new topic about AMD is undefined in socket design.

One of the first key of AMD was design one socket scalable.. the famous socket A o socket 462..

After that AMD release socket 940, then decided this socket will be only for workstation multiprocessors, then released the socket 754, after that released the socket 939, and now the socket AM2 (socket 940 with different pin structure).
When I heard first time that AMD will release a new socket, I thought that will be cool, they will release as Intel a socket style 775 which you don’t need care about the pins.

The pins of the AMD fold very easy. Just by inserting wrong way you got problems, image now that you have the wrong mainboard. And those CPUs after that get out warranty.

Also I thought that they will release the socket 1036.. to allow a true quad in line memory communication to improve performance.

Seem in a close future we will hear a new AMD socket.
Regards

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Hello!,

One of the first key of AMD was design one socket scalable.. the famous socket A o socket 462..

After that AMD release socket 940, then decided this socket will be only for workstation multiprocessors, then released the socket 754, after that released the socket 939, and now the socket AM2 (socket 940 with different pin structure).
When I heard first time that AMD will release a new socket, I thought that will be cool, they will release as Intel a socket style 775 which you don’t need care about the pins.

The pins of the AMD fold very easy. Just by inserting wrong way you got problems, image now that you have the wrong mainboard. And those CPUs after that get out warranty.

Also I thought that they will release the socket 1036.. to allow a true quad in line memory communication to improve performance.

Regards

They changed the pin arrangement so people wouldn't be able to put the wrong cpu in the wrong board. What's wrong with that?

ANd yes we will see a new socket... socket F :wink:

PS. Your gonna get flamed so bad, by someone. I hope this doesn't turn out like my thread... eh vern, turpit, jack etc :wink:

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
The pins of the AMD fold very easy. Just by inserting wrong way you got problems
You think that's just a problem with AMD CPUs?

And you forgot about Socket F (1207 Land Grid Array) for servers to be released...tomorrow? Plus, there's socket AM3 coming within 18 months...

I've never heard of socket 1036, so I don't known what that was or could have been.

I don't think Land Grid Arrays aren't any better than Pin Grid Arrays. LGA pins are also very easy to bend, and in fact, LGA sockets can be destroyed just by swapping out processors multiple times, so I don't think it was neccesarily a step up in design.

EDIT: Read around a little bit and saw this:
It's much faster because the pins are much smaller than in a PGA. The smaller the pins, the less distance electrons have to travel and the faster they go!
So, LGA does have an advatage over PGA.

AMD's socket track record hasn't been the greatest lately, but Intel had their problems in the past as well.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Hello!,

Regards

They changed the pin arrangement so people wouldn't be able to put the wrong cpu in the wrong board. What's wrong with that?

PS. Your gonna get flamed so bad, by someone. I hope this doesn't turn out like my thread... eh vern, turpit, jack etc :wink:

I didnt flame you...we were having a mature, flame free discussion. I was flaming OP :wink:

Peace

49ers540

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Hello!,

Regards

Everything, it bends when you insert it wrong. 775, you can see right away that it doesn't fit before you clamp it down. How would you like to spend a lot of dough and break one of the pins? :oops:

Lately, AMD has been going from 939, am2 and now they just announced am3.

With 775, I can go with the p4 all the way to the new conroe now without a different socket. Yes, new motherboard for the newer chip, but I can still use my older cpu's and there's no pins to break or bend.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Ya, but at least with AMD you don't always have chipset changes. NO FLAMES ON THIS ONE PLEASE.

Plus AM3 will be backwards compatible to AM2, so you won't break your K8L cpu when you put it in your AM2 board... infact it will work fine, except for a slight loss on the RAM and stuff. :wink:

Keyvan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
About the socket 1036, once in an article about dual core design, suggested the need to have 96 extra pins to allow a true quad in line, dual core share cache, or something like that.. I read it about 2 years ago. (maybe was intended for Intel)
Socket 940+96 --> 1036..

The BOX packs and sometimes the trays of CPUs I receive from ASIA, 5 to 20% have the need to fix the pins. Right now thanks to the redesign of the box pack was reduced to almost nothing.

During the years of selling CPUs, with the new Intel design(socket 775) reduced to 0% of return or claims of CPUs.
( I still receive claims of clients with damaged pins of traditional design)

There is a refurbished industry of CPUs which they fix the pins, and other external components.. Most of the time they receive the CPUs from larger manufacturers or directly by AMD.

I would like the manufacturers think in a new system 100% designed for hydro-cool.

AMD2 need a new CPU cooler. So, you need to wait the release from other cooling solutions providers.

I saw in COMPUTEX hydro-cool systems that work together for the CPUs, and GPUs.
(It had neon tubes attached to each video card and the CPU.)

Regards

pat

Expert

They are called ZIF socket.. ZIF for Zero Insertion Force.. which means that they will drop right into place without any force to be applied to the CPU.. so normally, you should not bend pins, unless you really do it by purpose..

Hello!,

Regards

heh its funny intel doesnt want to have an imc yet cause of the memory and socket holding back there movement (technology etc) yet they already have like 3+ sort of revisions for the 775 even (standard, dual core, and core 2 duo now) with the same fit, atleast with amds most of the time if its the same socket it will prolly work.

xiii

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
I'm with Apache here. In my opinion, at least from that socket point of view, AMD is a "lesser of two evils" at worse. Why? Because if it fits, it works and vice-versa (unless one forces it to fit). Can't say the same about LGA775, can we now?

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
why are pins Brake. Can we say users Fault. Trying to put the cpu in backwords or putting in the wrong cpu in. and I agree with a few people.
Zero Insertion Force.

Problems with some of the Intel chips is the bios The older Motherboards can't use the Conroe core 2 chips. But they both fit in the same socket. Face it Alot of people are dumb when it comes to computers. They go oh the conroe will fit in the same motherboard with out doing there research frist.

I think amd with Change of sockets was pritty good. With am2 and 939. What gets me why did they just keep 939 pin setup even for the 754 chips. So people could upgrade to a 939 pin. I think it would of help amd and Users more. But that my view.