Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

netdiag errors

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 10:03:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

I have two DC's on the same domain. They are both setup as primary AD
integrated. They both work great independently as dns servers, the problem is
that when I run netdiag /d:D omain I get a dns error stating that the dns
entries for this dc are not registered correctly on either of the two DC's.
I've tried all combinations of deleting and refreshing the dns on both
servers, I've run netdiag /fix and it says it regestered it but it continues
to error on me. If I run netdiag /d:D omain on the server that holds all the
fsmo roles, it does not error out.

Has anyone seen this ? Do I have to demote my DC and rebuild it with a
different name ? Are there any other utilities that will tell me what's wrong
with the name ?

The reason I need this fixed is to make the DC the errors on me a second GC
server for exchange. I set it as a GC and wait but it never gives me the 1119
entry in the event log.

Please give me any help you can .....thanks !

More about : netdiag errors

Anonymous
August 18, 2004 12:09:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

In news:1D95F21D-85D9-455D-8F15-89A0C0D5A1C0@microsoft.com,
stchase <stchase@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> I have two DC's on the same domain. They are both setup
> as primary AD integrated. They both work great
> independently as dns servers, the problem is that when I
> run netdiag /d:D omain I get a dns error stating that the
> dns entries for this dc are not registered correctly on
> either of the two DC's. I've tried all combinations of
> deleting and refreshing the dns on both servers, I've run
> netdiag /fix and it says it regestered it but it
> continues to error on me. If I run netdiag /d:D omain on
> the server that holds all the fsmo roles, it does not
> error out.
>
> Has anyone seen this ? Do I have to demote my DC and
> rebuild it with a different name ? Are there any other
> utilities that will tell me what's wrong with the name ?
>
> The reason I need this fixed is to make the DC the errors
> on me a second GC server for exchange. I set it as a GC
> and wait but it never gives me the 1119 entry in the
> event log.
>
> Please give me any help you can .....thanks !

post the results of a netdiag /test:D ns /v from both DCs.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
================================================
--
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
via your newsreader so that others may learn and
benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
me remove the nospam. from my email address.
================================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
================================================
Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
It will strip signature out and more
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
================================================
Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
with OEBackup:
http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
================================================
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 12:09:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

This test is pretty long, do you want me to post all of it ?

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:1D95F21D-85D9-455D-8F15-89A0C0D5A1C0@microsoft.com,
> stchase <stchase@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > I have two DC's on the same domain. They are both setup
> > as primary AD integrated. They both work great
> > independently as dns servers, the problem is that when I
> > run netdiag /d:D omain I get a dns error stating that the
> > dns entries for this dc are not registered correctly on
> > either of the two DC's. I've tried all combinations of
> > deleting and refreshing the dns on both servers, I've run
> > netdiag /fix and it says it regestered it but it
> > continues to error on me. If I run netdiag /d:D omain on
> > the server that holds all the fsmo roles, it does not
> > error out.
> >
> > Has anyone seen this ? Do I have to demote my DC and
> > rebuild it with a different name ? Are there any other
> > utilities that will tell me what's wrong with the name ?
> >
> > The reason I need this fixed is to make the DC the errors
> > on me a second GC server for exchange. I set it as a GC
> > and wait but it never gives me the 1119 entry in the
> > event log.
> >
> > Please give me any help you can .....thanks !
>
> post the results of a netdiag /test:D ns /v from both DCs.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ================================================
> --
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
> via your newsreader so that others may learn and
> benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
> me remove the nospam. from my email address.
> ================================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ================================================
> Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
> It will strip signature out and more
> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
> ================================================
> Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
> with OEBackup:
> http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
> ================================================
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 12:09:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\ccsadmin>netdiag /test:D ns /v

Gathering IPX configuration information.
Querying status of the Netcard drivers... Passed
Testing Domain membership... Passed
Gathering NetBT configuration information.
Testing DNS
[WARNING] The DNS host name 'ccs_bdc.ccs.munis.com' valid only on Windows
2000 D
NS Servers. [DNS_ERROR_NON_RFC_NAME]
[WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not registered correctly on
DNS se
rver '192.168.140.2'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS server replication.
[WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not registered correctly on
DNS se
rver '192.168.130.3'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS server replication.
[FATAL] No DNS servers have the DNS records for this DC registered.

Tests complete.


Computer Name: CCS_BDC
DNS Host Name: ccs_bdc.ccs.munis.com
DNS Domain Name: ccs.munis.com
System info : Windows 2000 Server (Build 3790)
Processor : x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3, GenuineIntel
Hotfixes :
Installed? Name
Yes KB819696
Yes KB823182
Yes KB823353
Yes KB823559
Yes KB824105
Yes KB824141
Yes KB824146
Yes KB825119
Yes KB828028
Yes KB828035
Yes KB828741
Yes KB830352
Yes KB832894
Yes KB835732
Yes KB837001
Yes KB837009
Yes KB839643
Yes KB839645
Yes KB840315
Yes KB840374
Yes KB867801
Yes Q147222
Yes Q828026


Netcard queries test . . . . . . . : Passed

Information of Netcard drivers:


---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Description: 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-TX)
Device: \DEVICE\{EFBC4325-A4C4-45C5-9A35-FCAF176A4201}

Media State: Connected

Device State: Connected
Connect Time: 1 days, 13:11:12
Media Speed: 100 Mbps

Packets Sent: 284625301
Bytes Sent (Optional): 546270332

Packets Received: 319115573
Directed Pkts Recd (Optional): 318965044
Bytes Received (Optional): -1435953209
Directed Bytes Recd (Optional): -1435953209


---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[PASS] - At least one netcard is in the 'Connected' state.



Per interface results:

Adapter : Local Area Connection
Adapter ID . . . . . . . . : {EFBC4325-A4C4-45C5-9A35-FCAF176A4201}

Netcard queries test . . . : Passed


Global results:


Domain membership test . . . . . . : Passed
Machine is a . . . . . . . . . : Domain Controller
Netbios Domain name. . . . . . : CCS
Dns domain name. . . . . . . . : ccs.munis.com
Dns forest name. . . . . . . . : ccs.munis.com
Domain Guid. . . . . . . . . . : {D904C50C-8107-46CE-AFE2-B1F8BF140107}
Domain Sid . . . . . . . . . . : S-1-5-21-1158630773-1994353525-755307947
Logon User . . . . . . . . . . :
Logon Domain . . . . . . . . . : CCS


NetBT transports test. . . . . . . : Passed
List of NetBt transports currently configured:
NetBT_Tcpip_{EFBC4325-A4C4-45C5-9A35-FCAF176A4201}
1 NetBt transport currently configured.


DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
[WARNING] The DNS host name 'ccs_bdc.ccs.munis.com' valid only on
Windows 20
00 DNS Servers. [DNS_ERROR_NON_RFC_NAME]
Interface {EFBC4325-A4C4-45C5-9A35-FCAF176A4201}
DNS Domain:
DNS Servers: 192.168.140.2 192.168.130.3
IP Address: Expected registration with PDN (primary DNS
domain n
ame):
Hostname: ccs_bdc.ccs.munis.com.
Authoritative zone: ccs.munis.com.
Primary DNS server: ccs_server.ccs.munis.com 192.168.140.2
Authoritative NS:192.168.140.2 192.168.130.3
Check the DNS registration for DCs entries on DNS server '192.168.140.2'
The Record is different on DNS server '192.168.140.2'.

+------------------------------------------------------+
The record on your DC is:
DNS NAME = ccs.munis.com.
DNS DATA =
A 192.168.130.3

The record on DNS server 192.168.140.2 is:
DNS NAME = ccs.munis.com.
DNS DATA =
A 192.168.140.2
+------------------------------------------------------+

The Record is different on DNS server '192.168.140.2'.
DNS server has more than one entries for this name, usually this means there
are
multiple DCs for this domain.
Your DC entry is one of them on DNS server '192.168.140.2', no need to
re-regist
er.

+------------------------------------------------------+
The record on your DC is:
DNS NAME = _ldap._tcp.ccs.munis.com.
DNS DATA =
SRV 0 100 389 ccs_bdc.ccs.munis.com.

The record on DNS server 192.168.140.2 is:
DNS NAME = _ldap._tcp.ccs.munis.com
DNS DATA =
SRV 0 100 389 ccs_server.ccs.munis.com
SRV 0 100 389 ccs_bdc.ccs.munis.com
+------------------------------------------------------+

"stchase" wrote:

> This test is pretty long, do you want me to post all of it ?
>
> "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > In news:1D95F21D-85D9-455D-8F15-89A0C0D5A1C0@microsoft.com,
> > stchase <stchase@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
> > Then Kevin replied below:
> > > I have two DC's on the same domain. They are both setup
> > > as primary AD integrated. They both work great
> > > independently as dns servers, the problem is that when I
> > > run netdiag /d:D omain I get a dns error stating that the
> > > dns entries for this dc are not registered correctly on
> > > either of the two DC's. I've tried all combinations of
> > > deleting and refreshing the dns on both servers, I've run
> > > netdiag /fix and it says it regestered it but it
> > > continues to error on me. If I run netdiag /d:D omain on
> > > the server that holds all the fsmo roles, it does not
> > > error out.
> > >
> > > Has anyone seen this ? Do I have to demote my DC and
> > > rebuild it with a different name ? Are there any other
> > > utilities that will tell me what's wrong with the name ?
> > >
> > > The reason I need this fixed is to make the DC the errors
> > > on me a second GC server for exchange. I set it as a GC
> > > and wait but it never gives me the 1119 entry in the
> > > event log.
> > >
> > > Please give me any help you can .....thanks !
> >
> > post the results of a netdiag /test:D ns /v from both DCs.
> >
> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> > Hope This Helps
> > ================================================
> > --
> > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
> > via your newsreader so that others may learn and
> > benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
> > me remove the nospam. from my email address.
> > ================================================
> > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> > ================================================
> > Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
> > It will strip signature out and more
> > http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
> > ================================================
> > Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
> > with OEBackup:
> > http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
> > ================================================
> >
> >
> >
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 2:04:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

In news:18AC359A-8B39-4713-9C4A-9E3CF8CCDC8C@microsoft.com,
stchase <stchase@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\ccsadmin>netdiag /test:D ns /v
>
> Gathering IPX configuration information.
> Querying status of the Netcard drivers... Passed
> Testing Domain membership... Passed
> Gathering NetBT configuration information.
> Testing DNS
> [WARNING] The DNS host name 'ccs_bdc.ccs.munis.com' valid
> only on Windows 2000 D
> NS Servers. [DNS_ERROR_NON_RFC_NAME]<-----
> [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not
> registered correctly on DNS se

> SRV 0 100 389 ccs_server.ccs.munis.com
> SRV 0 100 389 ccs_bdc.ccs.munis.com

The problem here is that both of your DCs have underscores in their host
name. Underscores are not a legal DNS character unless it is at the
beginning of the name.
You will have to modify your DNS servers to accept these underscores by
right clicking on the DNS server in the DNS managment console and select
properties. Select the Advanced tab, in the Name Checking section select
"All names" from the drop down list, then rerun netdiag /fix from both DCs.



--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
================================================
--
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
via your newsreader so that others may learn and
benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
me remove the nospam. from my email address.
================================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
================================================
Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
It will strip signature out and more
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
================================================
Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
with OEBackup:
http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
================================================
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 2:04:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

I saw your posting on google groups and I set that field to all names. I did
a net stop \ ipconfig flushdns \ ipconfig registerdns \ net start netlogon on
both machines and I still get the error on one machine but not the other.
When I run a dcdiag /test:registerindns /dnsdomain: I get a failed also.
Is there something else I'm missing ?

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:18AC359A-8B39-4713-9C4A-9E3CF8CCDC8C@microsoft.com,
> stchase <stchase@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
> > (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.
> >
> > C:\Documents and Settings\ccsadmin>netdiag /test:D ns /v
> >
> > Gathering IPX configuration information.
> > Querying status of the Netcard drivers... Passed
> > Testing Domain membership... Passed
> > Gathering NetBT configuration information.
> > Testing DNS
> > [WARNING] The DNS host name 'ccs_bdc.ccs.munis.com' valid
> > only on Windows 2000 D
> > NS Servers. [DNS_ERROR_NON_RFC_NAME]<-----
> > [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not
> > registered correctly on DNS se
>
> > SRV 0 100 389 ccs_server.ccs.munis.com
> > SRV 0 100 389 ccs_bdc.ccs.munis.com
>
> The problem here is that both of your DCs have underscores in their host
> name. Underscores are not a legal DNS character unless it is at the
> beginning of the name.
> You will have to modify your DNS servers to accept these underscores by
> right clicking on the DNS server in the DNS managment console and select
> properties. Select the Advanced tab, in the Name Checking section select
> "All names" from the drop down list, then rerun netdiag /fix from both DCs.
>
>
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ================================================
> --
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
> via your newsreader so that others may learn and
> benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
> me remove the nospam. from my email address.
> ================================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ================================================
> Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
> It will strip signature out and more
> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
> ================================================
> Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
> with OEBackup:
> http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
> ================================================
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 4:20:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

In news:7D08A27A-C411-4014-9D63-92B75D8487CE@microsoft.com,
stchase <stchase@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> I saw your posting on google groups and I set that field
> to all names. I did a net stop \ ipconfig flushdns \
> ipconfig registerdns \ net start netlogon on both
> machines and I still get the error on one machine but not
> the other. When I run a dcdiag /test:registerindns
> /dnsdomain: I get a failed also.
> Is there something else I'm missing ?

Did you change the setting on both DNS servers?

I will need to see an _unedited_ ipconfig /all from both DCs.


--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
================================================
--
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
via your newsreader so that others may learn and
benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
me remove the nospam. from my email address.
================================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
================================================
Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
It will strip signature out and more
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
================================================
Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
with OEBackup:
http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
================================================
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 4:20:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

THis is the output for dcdiag /test:registerindns

Documents and Settings\ccsadmin>dcdiag /test:registerindns /dnsdomain:ccs
Starting test: RegisterInDNS
This computer's Computer Name is set to the pre-Windows NetBIOS name.
The
Computer Name is the first label portion of the full DNS name of this
computer. Depending on the implementation and configuration of the DNS
servers used in your infrastructure, this DNS name might not be added to
the DNS database because the computer name contains the underscore
character. Verify that the DNS server allows host DNS names (A records
owner names) to contain the underscore character, or rename the computer
so that it can be registered in DNS. To do so, right-click My Computer,
click Properties, click the Network Identification tab, and then click
Properties and modify the Computer Name.

Note: Default configuration of the Windows 2000 DNS server allows host
names to contain the underscore character.

This domain controller cannot register domain controller Locator DNS
records because it cannot locate a DNS server authoritative for the zone
ccs. This is because:

1. One or more DNS servers involved in the name resolution of the ccs
name are not responding or contain incorrect delegation of the DNS
zones;
or

2. The DNS server that this computer is configured with contains
incorrect root hints.

The list of such DNS servers might include the DNS servers that this
computer is configured to use for name resolution and the DNS servers
authoritative for the following zones: ccs

Contact your networknetwork/DNS administrator to fix the problem. You
can
also manually add the records specified in the
systemroot\system32\config\netlogon.dns file.

DcDiag cannot reach a conclusive result because it cannot interpret the
following message that was returned: 9501.

......................... ccs_server failed test Reg

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:7D08A27A-C411-4014-9D63-92B75D8487CE@microsoft.com,
> stchase <stchase@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > I saw your posting on google groups and I set that field
> > to all names. I did a net stop \ ipconfig flushdns \
> > ipconfig registerdns \ net start netlogon on both
> > machines and I still get the error on one machine but not
> > the other. When I run a dcdiag /test:registerindns
> > /dnsdomain: I get a failed also.
> > Is there something else I'm missing ?
>
> Did you change the setting on both DNS servers?
>
> I will need to see an _unedited_ ipconfig /all from both DCs.
>
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ================================================
> --
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
> via your newsreader so that others may learn and
> benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
> me remove the nospam. from my email address.
> ================================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ================================================
> Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
> It will strip signature out and more
> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
> ================================================
> Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
> with OEBackup:
> http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
> ================================================
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 6:08:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

In news:6D63C12B-E544-438D-AF23-605AB3812AB1@microsoft.com,
stchase <stchase@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> THis is the output for dcdiag /test:registerindns

>>
>> Did you change the setting on both DNS servers?
>>
>> I will need to see an _unedited_ ipconfig /all from both
>> DCs.

As I said in my previous reply, I will need to see an unedited ipconfig /all


--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
================================================
--
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
via your newsreader so that others may learn and
benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
me remove the nospam. from my email address.
================================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
================================================
Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
It will strip signature out and more
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
================================================
Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
with OEBackup:
http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
================================================
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 6:08:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

THis one errors on me

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\ccsadmin>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ccs_bdc
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : ccs.munis.com
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ccs.munis.com
munis.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI TX NIC
(3C90
5B-TX)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-DA-B9-E3-17
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.130.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.130.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.130.3
192.168.140.2
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.140.2

C:\Documents and Settings\ccsadmin>


Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\ccsadmin>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ccs_server
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : ccs.munis.com
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ccs.munis.com
munis.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI TX NIC
(3C90
5B-TX)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-5A-22-F4-70
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.140.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.140.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.140.2
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.140.2

C:\Documents and Settings\ccsadmin>


"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:6D63C12B-E544-438D-AF23-605AB3812AB1@microsoft.com,
> stchase <stchase@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > THis is the output for dcdiag /test:registerindns
>
> >>
> >> Did you change the setting on both DNS servers?
> >>
> >> I will need to see an _unedited_ ipconfig /all from both
> >> DCs.
>
> As I said in my previous reply, I will need to see an unedited ipconfig /all
>
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ================================================
> --
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
> via your newsreader so that others may learn and
> benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
> me remove the nospam. from my email address.
> ================================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ================================================
> Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
> It will strip signature out and more
> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
> ================================================
> Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
> with OEBackup:
> http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
> ================================================
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 8:45:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

In news:071FBBAF-196F-417E-95C4-EF5140C6D032@microsoft.com,
stchase <stchase@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> THis one errors on me
>
> Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\ccsadmin>ipconfig /all
>
> Windows IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ccs_bdc
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : ccs.munis.com
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
> IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ccs.munis.com
> munis.com
>
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL
> 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C90
> 5B-TX)
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-DA-B9-E3-17
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.130.3
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.130.1
> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.130.3
> 192.168.140.2
> Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.140.2
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\ccsadmin>
>
>
> Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\ccsadmin>ipconfig /all
>
> Windows IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ccs_server
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : ccs.munis.com
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
> IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ccs.munis.com
> munis.com
>
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL
> 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C90
> 5B-TX)
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-5A-22-F4-70
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.140.2
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.140.1
> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.140.2
> Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.140.2

Other than the underscores the ipconfig looks OK.

Run netdig /fix

Use this command for DCDIAG you are using the Netbios name, you must use the
DNS name.
dcdiag /test:registerindns /dnsdomain:ccs.munis.com


--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
================================================
--
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
via your newsreader so that others may learn and
benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
me remove the nospam. from my email address.
================================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
================================================
Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
It will strip signature out and more
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
================================================
Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
with OEBackup:
http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
================================================
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 4:26:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

In news:6D63C12B-E544-438D-AF23-605AB3812AB1@microsoft.com,
stchase <stchase@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented
below
> THis is the output for dcdiag /test:registerindns
>
> Documents and Settings\ccsadmin>dcdiag /test:registerindns
> /dnsdomain:ccs Starting test: RegisterInDNS
> This computer's Computer Name is set to the pre-Windows NetBIOS
> name. The
> Computer Name is the first label portion of the full DNS name
> of this computer. Depending on the implementation and
> configuration of the DNS servers used in your infrastructure,
> this DNS name might not be added to the DNS database because
> the computer name contains the underscore character. Verify
> that the DNS server allows host DNS names (A records owner
> names) to contain the underscore character, or rename the
> computer so that it can be registered in DNS. To do so,
> right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Network
> Identification tab, and then click Properties and modify the Computer
> Name.
>
> Note: Default configuration of the Windows 2000 DNS server
> allows host names to contain the underscore character.
>
> This domain controller cannot register domain controller
> Locator DNS records because it cannot locate a DNS server
> authoritative for the zone ccs. This is because:
>
<snip>

I saw your post in the AD group as well. I'll try to help out here and
cross-post this to the AD group too, so if anyone else replies over there,
they can see our responses.

What I see in the output above, it's trying to find a zone called "CCS".
Just to confirm your DNS setup and arrangement, can you provide a dnscm
/enumzones from both DNS servers please? That tool is found in the support
tools. Probably help to take a look at the zone and the SOA on the zone.

Thanks

Also, are there any firewalls between these subnets? Is the router a Windows
box offering NAT with 3 interfaces, one for the outside world, and the two
subnets you have or they connected via a VPN?


--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
so all can benefit.

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
and confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 10:47:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

I demoted one of my DC's and then ran dcpromo to recreate it. I changed the
name to backupdc. This change finally allowed me to make that server a GC
server and I saw the 1119 entry. You were right about ccs vs. ccs.munis.com.
When I ran that dcdaig /test:registerindns /dnsdomain:ccs.munis.com it passed
on both machines. I am howerver still getting the same error on the DC
backupdc when I run netdiag /d:ccs.munis.com
Here is the dnscm you asked for...and no, I don't have a firewall but I do
have a cisco cat4000 layer3 switch inbetween the subnets.

This is for the DC backupdc
Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\ccsadmin>dnscmd /enumzones
Enumerated zone list:

Zone count = 6

Zone name Type Storage Properties

. Cache AD-Legacy
110.168.192.in-addr.arpa Primary AD-Legacy Secure Rev
120.168.192.in-addr.arpa Primary AD-Legacy Secure Rev
130.168.192.in-addr.arpa Primary AD-Legacy Secure Rev
140.168.192.in-addr.arpa Primary AD-Legacy Secure Rev
ccs.munis.com Primary AD-Legacy Update

Command completed successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\ccsadmin>

This on is for the DC ccs_server

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\ccsadmin>dnscmd /enumzones
Enumerated zone list:

Zone count = 6

Zone name Type Storage Properties

. Cache AD-Legacy
110.168.192.in-addr.arpa Primary AD-Legacy Secure Rev
120.168.192.in-addr.arpa Primary AD-Legacy Secure Rev
130.168.192.in-addr.arpa Primary AD-Legacy Secure Rev
140.168.192.in-addr.arpa Primary AD-Legacy Secure Rev
ccs.munis.com Primary AD-Legacy Update

Command completed successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\ccsadmin>



"Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:6D63C12B-E544-438D-AF23-605AB3812AB1@microsoft.com,
> stchase <stchase@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented
> below
> > THis is the output for dcdiag /test:registerindns
> >
> > Documents and Settings\ccsadmin>dcdiag /test:registerindns
> > /dnsdomain:ccs Starting test: RegisterInDNS
> > This computer's Computer Name is set to the pre-Windows NetBIOS
> > name. The
> > Computer Name is the first label portion of the full DNS name
> > of this computer. Depending on the implementation and
> > configuration of the DNS servers used in your infrastructure,
> > this DNS name might not be added to the DNS database because
> > the computer name contains the underscore character. Verify
> > that the DNS server allows host DNS names (A records owner
> > names) to contain the underscore character, or rename the
> > computer so that it can be registered in DNS. To do so,
> > right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Network
> > Identification tab, and then click Properties and modify the Computer
> > Name.
> >
> > Note: Default configuration of the Windows 2000 DNS server
> > allows host names to contain the underscore character.
> >
> > This domain controller cannot register domain controller
> > Locator DNS records because it cannot locate a DNS server
> > authoritative for the zone ccs. This is because:
> >
> <snip>
>
> I saw your post in the AD group as well. I'll try to help out here and
> cross-post this to the AD group too, so if anyone else replies over there,
> they can see our responses.
>
> What I see in the output above, it's trying to find a zone called "CCS".
> Just to confirm your DNS setup and arrangement, can you provide a dnscm
> /enumzones from both DNS servers please? That tool is found in the support
> tools. Probably help to take a look at the zone and the SOA on the zone.
>
> Thanks
>
> Also, are there any firewalls between these subnets? Is the router a Windows
> box offering NAT with 3 interfaces, one for the outside world, and the two
> subnets you have or they connected via a VPN?
>
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ace
>
> Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
> so all can benefit.
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
> and confers no rights.
>
> Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
> Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
>
> Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
> HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
> A lifetime commitment for a pig.
> --
> =================================
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 9:07:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

In news:858FB818-2178-4365-96B6-CB912113F49D@microsoft.com,
stchase <stchase@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented
below
> I demoted one of my DC's and then ran dcpromo to recreate it. I
> changed the name to backupdc. This change finally allowed me to make
> that server a GC server and I saw the 1119 entry. You were right
> about ccs vs. ccs.munis.com. When I ran that dcdaig
> /test:registerindns /dnsdomain:ccs.munis.com it passed on both
> machines. I am howerver still getting the same error on the DC
> backupdc when I run netdiag /d:ccs.munis.com
> Here is the dnscm you asked for...and no, I don't have a firewall but
> I do have a cisco cat4000 layer3 switch inbetween the subnets.
>
> This is for the DC backupdc
> Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\ccsadmin>dnscmd /enumzones
> Enumerated zone list:
>
> Zone count = 6
>
> Zone name Type Storage Properties
>
> . Cache AD-Legacy
> 110.168.192.in-addr.arpa Primary AD-Legacy Secure Rev
> 120.168.192.in-addr.arpa Primary AD-Legacy Secure Rev
> 130.168.192.in-addr.arpa Primary AD-Legacy Secure Rev
> 140.168.192.in-addr.arpa Primary AD-Legacy Secure Rev
> ccs.munis.com Primary AD-Legacy Update
>
> Command completed successfully.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\ccsadmin>
>
> This on is for the DC ccs_server
>
> Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\ccsadmin>dnscmd /enumzones
> Enumerated zone list:
>
> Zone count = 6
>
> Zone name Type Storage Properties
>
> . Cache AD-Legacy
> 110.168.192.in-addr.arpa Primary AD-Legacy Secure Rev
> 120.168.192.in-addr.arpa Primary AD-Legacy Secure Rev
> 130.168.192.in-addr.arpa Primary AD-Legacy Secure Rev
> 140.168.192.in-addr.arpa Primary AD-Legacy Secure Rev
> ccs.munis.com Primary AD-Legacy Update
>
> Command completed successfully.
>

Thanks for posting that. I just wanted to make sure what your zone name was
and it's exact spelling. I believe the error is just because you have zone
name ccs.munis.com is a (the way I'm reading the /enumzones output since it
says AD-Legacy) AD Integrated zone and the way it behaves, is that the SOA
jumps back and forth depending on which one last got updated.

But as far as registration and AD communication, the reason I asked about
firewalls, etc, or even your switch config, is that there can be something
blocking AD communication. Are there any errors in the Event Logs?

Ace
!